Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Guitar Thread • Page 40

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by troyplaysbass, Mar 5, 2016.

1. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

Here's a look at the parts I pulled out of the alley (neck/body) and then the body after sanding and applying first coat of stain.

Thinking I'll do another coat to just clean it up a bit, it's rough in some spots...

Attached Files:

MrCon likes this.
  2. I just bought the JHS Andy Timmons drive from Sweetwater. Excited to plug it in!

3. aspeedomodel

So note to self - applying poly in 90+ degree weather when it's humid as hell is not a good idea...

After some tender love involving mayo, guitar is looking great. Hope to have neck and tremolo done this week.

4. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

anyone got some trem recommendations?

5. Pedal or bridge?

6. RobJGolde

Wrecked 'em? Damn near killed 'em!

Depends what style of music it’s being used for

7. primavera

8. Seymour Duncan Shapeshifter, Walrus Audio Monument, Boss TR-2

primavera likes this.
  9. primavera

really wanting a jazzmaster ugh

RobJGolde and aspeedomodel like this.
  10. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

I love the Boss TR2 and how you can change the wave form. But I got rid of mine when I got my Princeton.

11. RobJGolde

Me too :( i’m not a fan of the rhythm circuit though. If it’s possible I’d probably turn that into a series/parallel switch

12. PepsiOne

Formerly PepsiOne Supporter

Was just looking at some last night lol close to going for it

13. primavera

it's really good if you play with fuzz at all

14. primavera

well, i did it
    [​IMG]

15. RobJGolde

primavera likes this.
  16. MrCon

I was trying to describe myself to someone

17. primavera

it’s a classic player, but CME has an exclusive modified run of them where they have changed a) the color and matching headstock, b) put actual jazzmaster pickups in (fender pure vintage 65s), and c) moved back the tremolo a bit.

kinda wish they would have put in a different bridge too but that’s a cheap enough fix down the road for a mastery

18. MrCon

That's cool man. That puts it at the upper end of the Mexican stuff then? Love the colour and the matching head stock. What pickups do they usually put in that model? I thought the classic players got the big single coils, rather than humbuckers?

19. RobJGolde

I think the classic player jazzmaster had the standard jazzmaster pickups, but wound slightly hotter. The pure vintage 65s are more like your traditionally spec’d jazzmaster pickups.

MrCon likes this.
  20. MrCon

I've been quietly eyeing up a Japanese made Mustang. Every so often one comes up in piano black and they just look so good. There's a shop on Reverb who still have some of the blue ones with matching headstocks and they just look so good. They won't be around forever now, since they make the Mustangs in Mexico. Ah, the need for guitars I simply don't need...

21. primavera

yeah they’re basically strat pickups. i’d say it takes it closer to an actual jazzmaster, which i can’t really think of another model that has actual jazzmaster configurations. the mexican and american pro stuff definitely doesn’t. it’s not, like, american custom shop level obviously haha, but it’s really the only affordable thing that actually sounds like a jazzmaster as well as looking like one

22. primavera

nah. classic players traditionally have duncan designed ones. they’re basically strat pickups with jazzmaster covers.

23. jorbjorb

7 rings

I haven’t bought anything gear related in two years. Not sure what’s wrong with me.

24. RobJGolde

Ah gotcha. Yeah those types of jazzmaster pickups never sat well with me because I thought they were always a little thin sounding. Knowing that they’re basically strat pickups explains a lot. I like the pickups in the Squier J Mascis model because they’re basically P90s. They’ve got a nice, full sound.

primavera likes this.
  25. aspeedomodel

At this point, all I need to do is wire up my partscaster and it's good to go. I am sweating this whole ground thing as I keep see conflicting info....