Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Guitar Thread • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by troyplaysbass, Mar 5, 2016.

1. EngineDown

formerly known as chill yoshi

The warped vinyl is cool but both are pretty absurdly priced

2. MrCon

I was trying to describe myself to someone

At the opposite end of the scale, does anyone have any experience with the Nobles ODR1? I'm pondering it as a gift for my brother. It seems to be pretty well regarded.

He's using a nice SG clone into a baby Marshall DSL, so I'm thinking of something that will really over saturate the signal for him.

3. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

agreed on the price lol

but fuck it sounds cool. tonal recall might be the new best analog delay

4. EngineDown

Made an offer on a telecaster custom RI hope it goes throughhh

Your Milkshake likes this.
  5. EngineDown

ss/bs love forever

6. EngineDown

Bought a Coronado ayyyyyy

7. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

One of the perks of moving back home is accessing my entire set up once again

Guitars:

Gibson Faded V
    Epiphone Les Paul w/ Seymour Duncans
    Acoustic I built in a high school class using Martin Custom Shop wood
    Fender D-16
    Squier Strat
    Fender Mexican Jazz Bass

Amps:

Line 6 Spider III 75w/ head w/ Hartke 4x12 cab (my worst purchase of all time, I've never played a show at all lol)
    Vox Valvetronix 15w
    Hartke 100w combo bass amp + a Digitech BP200 pedal

I would love to get more into gear but I just do not have the money to front for that. The sound isn't the greatest on the Line III (definitely better amp modelling on the Vox), but for just playing by myself it suits my needs just fine.

troyplaysbass likes this.
  8. EngineDown

it mine
    upload_2016-8-23_11-15-35.png

Robk, cubsml34, KennedyBN and 4 others like this.
  9. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

that is beautiful

how similar are those pickups to Gretsch pickups? Does Fender make them?

10. EngineDown

Yes, it's Fender's take on the old Gretsch ones. It's a bit hotter/brighter, but I like them. If I were to change, I'd go Lollar or TV Jones.

11. EngineDown

ayyyyyy

12. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

that guitar is fuckin sweet

13. Kennedy

loomasleep.bandcamp.com Prestigious

what do yall think are the best pedals for ambient swell sounds? what kind of volume pedals do yall like most?

14. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

I never knew how much disparity there could be between different volume pedals. Ive never owned one

15. EngineDown

you don't really need one. i just grab a reverb with the option to control the wet/dry signal and go all the way wet. then i just control it all with the knobs on the guitar itself. the OBNE procession is my go-to fave for that type of thing.

16. Kennedy

This might be a dumb question, but when you do that does it sound like youre playing chords, or does it just have complete ambience of whatever it is youre playing? does that make sense?... im not a huge gear head, the lead guitarist in my band is usually the one that will cover all the kind of stuff, but there are times i need to do things like this

17. Kennedy

i found a good example of the sound im looking for. Julien hits a pedal at about 57 seconds of this video. When she hits it, youll hear the ambiance come in. Now, she is still playing her notes obviously, but i want a sound that will give me JUST whats going on in the background. or similar to it.

18. EngineDown

If your signal is completely wet, you don't hear the original note at all, you only hear the reverb. It doesnt change what you play or add any additional notes like a chorus or whatever would. So if you're playing a chord, single note, whatever, it'll take that and just play the completely reverberated signal. I usually mix mine about half wet and half dry so I can hear the reverb signal in the background and still play over it "clean" with those notes getting reverb on a bit of a delay.

Hope this made sense at all haha.

19. Kennedy

that makes sense, and is super helpful. you probably answered my question in my post i just made about the Julien sound haha. Thanks man!

20. EngineDown

This is pretty light reverb. This is the pedal i was talking about, shows the wet signal a bit. Made by the guitar tech of Brand New if that persuades you at all, haha.

21. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

Ive been interested in modulating wet reverb trails now for a while but havent done anything about it. But yesterday I bought a Strymon Deco to set after my reverb in the signal chain.

EngineDown likes this.
  22. Kennedy

oh man - ive been looking for something that has some good sustain too. im going to need to pick this up.

23. EngineDown

That company has another reverb pedal that's a bit less practical but probably a bit more of an ambient pedal. I'd say if you're looking for one that you can use in a band and with some other stuff, go with the Procession. If you're only looking for ambient stuff, go with the Dark Star.

24. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

My band's writing a new record and I really wanna expand my pedalboard rn but I'm unemployed atm and broke af lol. Whyyyyyyyyy

25. EngineDown

All i really need for band stuff is a delay/drive/chorus/flange or phaser

For fun/solo stuff i like to mess around with a bunch of shit but i spend way too much money on pedals haha