Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Guitar Thread • Page 33

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by troyplaysbass, Mar 5, 2016.

1. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

Thinking about finally trying to upgrade my gear with my tax return. Maybe I'll make good on that Vox AC-4 and that one overdrive pedal that everyone likes.

2. mescalineeyes

I wanna dance to me Prestigious

The Walrus Voyager is an incredible overdrive & pre-amp combo.

which is "the one that everyone likes"? Ibanez?

3. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

Fulltone OCD.

I'll try out the Walrus tho if i ever get around to it lol

4. mescalineeyes

the OCD isn't bad but compresses too much for my tastes. Sounds incredible though, possibly even a tad better than the Voyager, albeit a bit "safer"

5. mescalineeyes

basically, for live I prefer the OCD, for a studio environment the Voyager.

MexicanGuitars likes this.
  6. RobJGolde

Wrecked 'em? Damn near killed 'em!

True statement is true. I talked a while back about doing some mods on my tele that I haven’t gotten around to yet :/ someday though

aspeedomodel and mescalineeyes like this.
  7. RobJGolde

Wrecked 'em? Damn near killed 'em!

I’d say the amps could use an upgrade. Those guitars are good value and can get good tones once you’ve set them up right, but I’ve generally never been crazy about Line 6’s or SS Marshalls (a personal preference though). There are great 15w tube amps out there though with dual channels for under $600. Also maybe add in an overdrive pedal to use with your clean channel to give it a slight amount of break up, and use the Boss DS—1 for leads.

jorbjorb, MrCon and mescalineeyes like this.
  8. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I'm eyeing the chorus and the tuner but I gotta look at my finances before I decide on anything

9. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

Coolio

10. MrCon

I was trying to describe myself to someone

That's a pretty comprehensive budget rig, so I'm not sure whether you're asking what you could upgrade or what you could add.

Looks like you're short a delay pedal. The TC Flashback is an unbelievable amount of pedal for the money. Also, they released a V2 of it recently, so the V1s might well be kicking around a bit cheaper, especially second hand. They're good and popular though, so hard to say.

If you're looking to upgrade, I'd look at those amps first. Maybe try to shift both on and look at something like a Fender Bassbreaker 15. You say you have that MG in head form, so if you have a cab, that gives you tons of possibilities in terms of low wattage valve heads you could try.

If you're any good with a soldering iron (or willing to have a crack anyway), have a look at BYOC. You can get quite a lot of pedal for your money by building them from those kits. Simple stuff like fuzzes and ODs are a no brainer, especially for stuff like their Tubescreamer clone, which is a lot cheaper than what Ibanez ask for them these days.

11. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

I actually need to upgrade my amp setup. Wife hate every time I upgrade or buy guitar stuff, so with the new guitar I think I need to bide my time. Would love to get an Orange Terror.

mescalineeyes likes this.
  12. mescalineeyes

Love it!

aspeedomodel likes this.
  13. Snoblin

Goblin Person Prestigious

I’m an outlier - I haven’t found anything that gets me more jazzed than the WAZA Craft Blues Driver

14. MrCon

15. Texas Flood

Mulva? Supporter

16. mescalineeyes

AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

RIP Gibson, good riddance.

17. MrCon

How does a brand with so many iconic shapes manage to come up with that absolute abortion?

mescalineeyes likes this.
  18. Randall Mentzos

Listen to my EP: terrainofficial .bandcamp.com Prestigious

Probably won’t miss Gibson tbh.

The 60s neck Les Paul is still the only thing they’ve done that I like. And while it’s good at what it does, there are some styles of music it just can’t match.

I have never liked an SG or Flying V

19. Randall Mentzos

Listen to my EP: terrainofficial .bandcamp.com Prestigious

The Tiny Terror is fuckin great. Best tone in its class imo. You really gotta spend a grand or more if you wanna do better than that thing.

aspeedomodel and mescalineeyes like this.
  20. aspeedomodel

I have a cheap strat-style from when I was 12. Off brand from a Marshall gig pack. Think I am to start working on it and updating it. Plan to change the neck and tuners in the next few weeks.

Anyone changed a neck before? Should I be scared? I'm not, but should I be?

21. MrCon

If that's the sort of thing I think it is, I think you might be wasting your money putting anything on a guitar like that. If you're already thinking of getting a new neck, maybe you'd be better building a partscaster?

22. aspeedomodel

Yeah, that's my concern. In the end, I think I'll sticking mainly with my Telecaster so it's really just the Strat in my collection. If I'd go partscaster route, I'd probably strip the guitar down but still use it as a base.

23. BTDandFeelingThis

Now I Know This World Isn’t Spinning Just For Me Prestigious

I have a HUGE favor to ask someone on here. For my wedding in October, we hired a harpist who is good at playing any sheet music on a harp. However of course, the two songs we picked she cannot find sheet music for. I have heard this thread is extremely helpful and nice...

So is anyone willing to help save my ceremony and convert some guitar tabs to sheet music for me? Lol

24. CellarGhosts

Trusted Prestigious

download guitar pro 7 my dude. automatically converts tabs into traditional sheet music. program is on the pricy-ish side, but it's really good for tabbing out songs and sketching out riff ideas and shit. worth the price tag imo.

or you could just, you know, *cough*t*cough*orren*t*cough* it

25. BTDandFeelingThis

Now I Know This World Isn’t Spinning Just For Me Prestigious

Call me a peon but I tried and couldn’t figure out what to do. Haha. Any chance you can DM a guy and help ease his headache?