Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Guitar Thread • Page 24

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by troyplaysbass, Mar 5, 2016.

1. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Dumb looking as hell unless you can own it with absolute conviction, and not in a macho classic rock way

That being said, the one in FLCL is so sick and that's the only time I'll ever say it

2. Kennedy

loomasleep.bandcamp.com Prestigious

Honestly I think they can be comfy on some strats

3. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

Joe and I actually have a very similar setup. I play a G&L ASAT Classic Tribute through a Vox AC15 Handwired and he plays, I believe, a US G&L ASAT Classic through a Vox AC30 Handwired.

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  4. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

!!!! I'm saving up for an AC15 oh so this is the dream rig I'm looking for ty

5. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I am an idiot and was talking about v shaped bodies, ignore me completely

6. Kennedy

haha youre not an idiot friend. but i was confused, then i realized "ooh he must not have seen me specify v necks"

youre right though, V Bodies are brutal

7. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Honestly unsure if I've ever played a v neck, it doesn't look super comfortable for me and I feel like I'd remember that. But maybe it's better for riffs and I'm bad at that and tend to do mainly chords

8. Kennedy

@EmmanuelSCastle yeah for some reason ive found V necks a lot more comfortable on electric guitars. i do not like them on acoustix guitars.

9. Kennedy

lets talk about everyones favorite reverb pedals? im kind of obsessed with reverb pedals.

i play the Old Blood Noise Endeavers "Procession". a member of my band has the "Dark Star" too. i really really love the procession, i love the hold function that rings out notes for as long as you hold it. you can get some very cool pads / ambient things with it. its definitely my most important pedal on my board. its one of those pedals where i dont know what i even did before i had it haha.

im also very interested in Earth Quaker Devices "Afterneath". i kind of really want it.

10. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

I have a Faded V and I love it, but I've grown to adjust to and like the body shape as I bought it pretty young, and I don't think I'd consider buying one now haha. As one of my two (main) electrics with a Les Paul, the V just has far superior access to the higher frets, a super fast neck, and is really light as well.

Re: Mexican Guitars. I have a Mexi J Bass and it's solid, but I primarily just use it for recording so I don't have a super authoritative opinion on it. I really need to lower the action but I"m too lazy/worried I'll screw it up.

11. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I don't have enough money for pedals but I recently acquired a fuzz pedal called a super hornet that has this cool octave feature. Let me see if I can find a link or smth

12. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

13. Kennedy

I feel you. Pedals are so expensive. The procession is really my only big pedal purchase. I have an OCD distortion that my bass player have to me for free, a volume pedal I traded for, a Rat distortion that I got for $70 (I love that pedal btw), and then a delay pedal I got when I was like 15. I've kind of randomly acquired a lot of mine. I wish I could afford more.

14. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I really love listening to fuzz and distortion pedals -- the two pedals I really want are a big muff deluxe and the old blood noise haunt fuzz bc I fell in love with both. Also the fuck overdrive from SS/bs. All are A Lot (for me)

15. MrCon

I was trying to describe myself to someone

I'm trying to think if I've ever played on something with a V profile neck.

The only neck I've played on a decent guitar which I really found awkward was one of Fender Baja Teles. They make two of them and one has a normal modern C shape (I think) and the other has something which is like playing a baseball bat (from the fat end). Presumably a D profile? It felt huge and pretty much semi-circular.

As for splashing out on American made guitars, I still get it. I've yet to play anything out of the Mexican range fenders which stands up to the American series stuff. My brother bought one of the Nashville Tele's late last year and it's a bloody lovely instrument and cost about £750 I think, but my American Standard still shades it.

The quality coming out in the mid-price instruments now is just crazy. If you spend more than about £500, you'll struggle to find something which isn't actually pretty decent.

I think part of the thing with my guitars now is that I don't really have any need to have many, but I like having some quite different instruments. The American Tele was almost a right of passage for me, in that I just wanted (even if it's only once) to have one which was kind of aspirational.

If I buy another guitar in the near future, it's most likely going to be a semi hollow (something in the mould of an ES-335), but it's almost certainly going to be far eastern and under £1000.

I keep seeing MIJ Mustangs on reverb and quite fancying those too. I turn 30 next year, so maybe that will be a gift to myself. :crylaugh:

KennedyBN likes this.
  16. jorbjorb

7 rings

I haven't tried many but I got the earthquaker dispatch master. It's nice having a delay/reverb in one small package. You can use it strictly as a delay or reverb too. It doesn't get too washy and you can still hear the notes you're playing

I do like the onboard spring reverb on my deluxe reverb amp too.

KennedyBN likes this.
  17. Kennedy

Yeah, despite what I was saying - that you can find some great quality and great sounding mexican fenders - an American fender is undisputedly superior.

MrCon likes this.
  18. Aj LaGambina

Hey man, we all can't be like you Supporter

Robot Graves Industries' reverb is the only one I'll play ever. It is the perfect reverb.

19. Kennedy

so i have a Telecaster Deluxe that i have done quite a bit of upgrades too. it isnt my main guitar, kind of a backup guitar that i also like to mod and do work to, just because i think its fun to have a guitar like that where you can mess around with a bunch, but still play a lot. i think its fun to make it really unique.

anyway, i currently have Seymour duncans in the neck and bridge. i have a Seymour duncan jazz humbucker in the neck and JB humbucker in the bridge. my problem with the guitar right now is i want it to be brighter. its a little dark / too warm for my liking right now. what would you guys do to it to make it brighter?

so, what im contemplating is getting one of those little humbucker to single coil adapters and putting a single coil pickup in the neck. maybe like a strat neck pickup, or a telecaster neck pickup. also, something i dont know a lot about admittedly is pots. but i hear pots can have an effect on tone of guitars??? i just dont know a lot about pots.

20. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

I have a Neunaber Wet atm but I'm a hairtrigger away from getting an Eventide Space. Think I'll try a Hall of Fame on the cheap first.

I have 3 delays that i stack to get huge reverb sounds too lol

KennedyBN likes this.
  21. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

What the heck are pots

22. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

"I smoked three pots today"

Nah, they are these things:

upload_2017-7-27_19-47-7.png

I think.

23. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  24. MrCon

I was trying to describe myself to someone

You might want to check the pots and caps in your guitar. The JB particularly is meant to be a very bright sounding humbucker, so it's odd that it sounds dark to you. If they are 250k tone pots, you might want to consider getting 500k ones in there instead. I believe that would brighten things up (someone may want to correct me on that, but I think that's the case).

Similarly, the capacitors in the tone circuit can affect things too. Might be worth you looking up a wiring schematic for something like a fat strat or super strat and seeing what caps people would usually put with a 500k pot.

25. Kennedy

i actually think i fixed it tonight! or at least improved it!

a while ago i was doing this thing where i would strum so hard in band practice that my high e was getting stuck onto the side of my pickup (i dont know if that makes sense but whatever) - but anyway, i lowered my pickup what i thought was just a hair, but it mustve been way too much because i raised my pickup tonight before practice and the output of the guitar just felt hotter and better.