Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Guitar Thread • Page 20

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by troyplaysbass, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

probably. you can check to see if intonation is off yourself yaknow. Having someone actually intonate it is a different story

2. Kennedy

loomasleep.bandcamp.com Prestigious

yeah, word

3. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

Need some help to make sure that I'm doing the right thing here.

My father-in-law asked if I could restring his guitar has some as some of the strings had broke over the years and he didn't know how to. I restrung it and during the process I felt what almost seemed like a pop or two when I was tightening/tuning the strings. After I got it done I noticed the bottom of the bridge was really far out and upon further investigation I couldn't even see the holes to put the strings through anymore. I pulled off the back and one of the springs had popped off and even putting that back on it still seems like its sticking out far. I've screwed the bar in farther that holds the springs in and that has helped some. My question is to make it sit flush again do I need to raise the bar even further or is there something I need to do. I've included some pictures if that helps.

IMG_0166.JPG IMG_0167.JPG

4. MrCon

I was trying to describe myself to someone

Pretty sure you've done the right thing. The trem on a strat isn't really meant to float like that, it should sit flat to the body and you do that by either adding the extra spring (which you've done) or screwing that plate further in. Once it's flat, you can screw it in tighter to make the trem stiffer to use, but flat against the body when it's tuned to pitch is correct, I believe.

Was it like that when you started restringing it? Did you increase the string gauge with the new set?

5. jorbjorb

7 rings

anyone know of a kit you can buy to do your own setups? I have an old MIM telecaster I want to practice on.
    I know how to adjust the intonation but there is a lot of other stuff that I don't know

6. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

I don't believe so and I didn't put a super heavy gauge on it I think unless Ernie Ball Super Slinky is considered heavy.

7. Smittzerland

First time long time (FKA musicfan9795) Prestigious

Need a power supply recommendation for my pedals. Leaning towards this. Why should I (not?) get this?

8. jorbjorb

7 rings

I honestly haven't had a problem with this in over five years
    Truetone - 1 Spot Combo Pack

The voodoo is expensive. How many pedals are you running? I only have 3 so maybe that's why.

9. Smittzerland

Right now, all I have is a Tube Screamer, a tuner, an EHX Holy Grail, and an EHX Freeze Sustainer. At some point I'm planning on expanding.

jorbjorb likes this.
  10. jorbjorb

7 rings

you can't go wrong with the voodoo. The only reason why I'd say no is the price.

11. Smittzerland

Does the Truetone work with EHX pedals? Can't really find too much about compatibility.

12. jorbjorb

7 rings

yeah it would work. The EHX pedals are standard 9v DC. that's all you need.

musicfan9795 likes this.
  13. craigisashark

14. craigisashark

Thanks for posting on this, only have a few boxes left of these and wanting to get them out the door, haha!

15. CellarGhosts

Trusted Prestigious

ugh i want this thing so bad right now

16. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Decided I'm doing a project and I need help bc I've never done this before....

I have an older Tom Delonge Strat sitting around and I've decided I want to do a DIY paint job to make it this orange version: (I've always wanted a guitar this color)

tom_kyt_17.jpg

I'm going to upgrade my hardware and stuff, but has anyone done a DIY paint job on a guitar and have it turn out with a glossy finish? Also, what basic steps/supplies do I need? I've looked all over the internet and everyone has a different process/advice so I'm coming to a community I trust haha.

17. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

You ever find or remember chords you forgot about? It's really easy to get caught up in moveable shape chords and sometimes forget certain fingerings/shapes/whatever. Like, I completely forgot about the alternate, non barre chord grip of F, and it kind of made me play progressions I don't normally play, which was cool. I heard Lou Barlow derisively use the phrase "Barre chord rock" a few months ago, and it made me laugh but it also made me try to play more thoughtfully, avoiding Barre chords in favor of different voicings and inversions and dyads and the like. Been an interesting few months

18. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Had this guitar laying around for awhile so I decided to turn it into the first guitar I ever wanted. Just waiting on new hardware to be delivered. Can't wait for the white pearloid pickguard.

IMG_8048.JPG.jpeg

Sebas and fluxyjoe like this.
  19. MrCon

That's a great colour.

20. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Thanks. The color turned out way better than I thought it was going to haha. Paint and lacquer only cost me $6.

MrCon likes this.
  21. MrCon

Did you sand all the paint off the original or did you just go over the top of it?

22. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

I didn't sand all the way down to the wood, but I stripped all the gloss off, wet sanded, lightly sanded, and lightly wet sanded again. It was all white to begin with so I figured i'd save some time by not going all the way to the wood. It would've taken forever haha.

MrCon likes this.
  23. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

24. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

holy shit I think I hate every single person on the guitar pedals sub Reddit. a whole bunch of complete assholes.

25. MrCon

Never been on it. What's up with them?

Your Milkshake likes this.