Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Guitar Thread • Page 19

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by troyplaysbass, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

Thinking about getting one. They're cheap to begin with but people are selling them used at 90 or 100 percent new value and it's pissing me off.

2. MrCon

I was trying to describe myself to someone

I'm finding that that is becoming a general problem. I like to keep my eye out on Reverb for interesting stuff and the prices people want for things are just crazy. I don't know where people are getting the idea that something mass produced and easily found is worth so much second hand.

Your Milkshake likes this.
  3. Surfwax

bring on the major leagues

I have an aluminum falcon which is more or less the same circuit I believe and it makes my drive pedals sound amazing when it's on with the drive at like 10 oclock. I've never really used it as a drive on its own but it has a pretty nice dirt sound if you were to crank it and use it like that.

4. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

I have a Snouse Black Box 2 on its way to me which is a bluesbreaker circuit. I want to stack a klon style OD into. Excited about it.

I'll check the falcon out!

5. Snoblin

Goblin Person Prestigious

[​IMG]
    I see all ya'll getting them Jazzmasters and shit and I'm like fuuuuuck here's my jet king. B-)

6. Kennedy

loomasleep.bandcamp.com Prestigious

Question for y'all. So I just bought this jazzmaster and I still need to get it set up. These are the tunings I play in the most:

DGCGBD
    FACGCE (half-step down from that)
    Half step down
    DADGAD (open D)

I'm trying to decide if I should get my guitar set up to half step or a full step down. I have my telecaster set up to half step and it seems to be a good happy medium for all those tunings I switch around from. I'm wondering if I should do my jazz just a bit lower to a full step down though so that those tunings that are just bit lower can have an advantage.

What would you all set up your guitar to if you played those tunings

7. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

Are you talking about adjusting your saddles for correct harmonic setup with multiple tunings?

Geez. I never thought of that. Maybe google will return something.

8. jorbjorb

7 rings

ya i might be a noob. My guitar came in 3 years ago set up for standard and I play half step down and some other weird ones on it no problem.

9. Kennedy

If quote both of you but I'm on mobile and it's a hassle haha...

Right, so I mean, ideally I would get my guitar intonated to just one of those tunings, so that everywhere on the fretboard everything sounds perfect. However, I only have 2 guitars and I play in more than 2 tunings, so I kinda have to find a good middle ground between those tunings.

@jorbjorb sometimes it's hard to tell that a guitar can go slightly off intonation when you change tunings. It becomes more apparent the higher you go on the fretboard a lot of the time. But yeah from my experience if you're playing a guitar intonated to standard tuning, going to half step down will have little effect on if your guitar sounds out of tune in certain chords (but it can still happen, especially on a cheaper guitar).

It's tunings like my half step down FACGCE tuning where this starts to matter, then I'm tuning my D string to a B

jorbjorb likes this.
  10. Tom

It's way too late, or much too early Prestigious

My friend is great at doing set ups so he set up my Jaguar for C#G#D#G#CD# because I normally dont go out of that tuning too much on my Jag. Definitely made a difference.

11. Kennedy

i need to learn how to do my own set ups, people charge so much for them

12. MrCon

Good example of people taking the piss with prices:

Fender MIM Mexican Stratocaster 2008 White

A brand new one is only £500 and that one isn't even is especially good shape.

I'm particularly galled by that ad, because I have a very similar Strat from the same time. That is not £400 of guitar by today's standards.

13. jorbjorb

7 rings

really? That amps under 30 lbs. I don't know what else you could do that's lighter. Maybe a tiny terror 15 watt head? It's discontinued but you might be able to find it local or online. Could switch it to 7 watts to get a decent bedroom sound. You would need a 1 x 12 cab or something for home and possibly borrow someones cab when you gig.

nothingsforeverdude likes this.
  14. Kennedy

I need help. I'm putting this new guard on when I get my set up next week. I'm trying to decide if I leave both pups black, or if I put a cream color on the neck pup. This is basically what it would look like, but also keep in mind the volume and tone knobs are black

[​IMG]

Or

[​IMG]

15. MrCon

What colour is that pickguard meant to be?

16. Smittzerland

First time long time (FKA musicfan9795) Prestigious

I like the black with the white.

KennedyBN likes this.
  17. jorbjorb

7 rings

I like it both ways. Sorry for not helping lol.

KennedyBN likes this.
  18. Kennedy

Cream / off white or whatever

19. MrCon

Wondered. I thought there was a sort of pinky tint to it. I'm not sure it works if the scratch plate and pickup cover aren't the same shade of white. Looks kind of odd to me.

20. Kennedy

Yeah I think I agree. I ordered both online so I didn't really have a way of making sure they were the exact same color.

I'm leaning towards the black neck pick up

21. MrCon

You could try it. It might work better as the plastic on both parts ages.

22. MrCon

Chapman have finally got their website updated, although it looks like the guitars still won't be available for a while. Andertons has them for pre-order, with their delivery expected 30th of June.

The Pro series is pricier than I expected. £1049 for the ML2 Pro. Ouch.

23. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Thinking of picking up a peavey prowler 1x12 combo amp 90s us built, 60 watts for 300 dollars. thoughts? Anyone use one of these before?

24. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

In general I wouldn't be excited for a solid state Peavey from the 90s at all. 300 dollars seems like a lot too.

25. Kennedy

does anyone know if you need a fresh intonation set up after installing a Buzz Stop on a jazz or jag?