Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Guitar Thread

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by troyplaysbass, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Talk about guitar (and bass) stuff here. What gear do you play? What are you interested in? Cool technique tips?

2. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

ayyyy you beat me to it lol

Currently messing around with my Les Paul into a standard Orange amp. No pedals but I need to hope on that wagon. Also have an SG, Jazzmaster, and an Ibanez 6 string bass. Next target is a Telecaster and some pedals.

troyplaysbass likes this.
  3. haha I had to get one in before all the cool threads were re-created.

My main guitar right now is an ash-bodied American Deluxe Telecaster. I have an old Bassman 410 combo that sounds amazing when it's not blowing fuses or otherwise failing. I'm looking at a Dr. Z Maz 18 Jr to replace it. One of my friends just picked one up, so I'm excited to mess around with it.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  4. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

nice. i really need to sit down one of these days and just absorb as much as i can about guitars, amps, and pedals. i have a very basic knowledge about it all that gets me by, but i really want to indulge and improve.

5. I've alternated over the years between being a huge gear nerd and not caring as long as it's loud. Right now I'm definitely in a gear nerd phase. Doesn't hurt that my band is recording today and I'm using a super nice Orange Rockerverb head.

6. AndrewSoup

It's A Secret To Everyone Prestigious

i need to pick up some books on music theory/whatever from the library. i need to get better/more serious about learning guitar.
    there's a decent price starter kit on Amazon i wanna get. guitars are expensive and i am very poor (especially when it comes to finding left handed ones)

fenway89 likes this.
  7. Unfortunately, being left-handed is going make every guitar cost a little more. Not sure what your exact price range is, but I've always found the Squier Classic Vibe and Vintage Modified series to be solid instruments, especially for the price.

AndrewSoup likes this.
  8. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

My setup atm is super basic. I've got a G&L Tribute series ASAT and I play it through a Vox AC15HW1x (literal dream amp). Only pedals I use currently are an OCD and a Holy Grail; really want to expand on that before my band starts writing again.

9. AndrewSoup

10. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Really want to get a Tele and a Mustang bass lately.

11. phaynes1

Regular

My home!

Have an '84 Ibanez roadstar II rb650 (bass). It's basically a fender-styled p/J combo from the days when Ibanez and fender were made in the same factory (commonly known as "lawsuit guitars"). It's great.

Amp shopping right now but I'm leaning towards an old peavey or a bassman 4x10.

12. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a Dr. Z Maz 18 Jr in the next week or so.

13. nfdv2 Mar 30, 2016
    (Last edited: Mar 30, 2016)
    nfdv2

Trusted Prestigious

hey did you get that guitar yet?

b/c if not i wanna try and convince you to not get that guitar and get this Strat instead for just a little bit more. knockoff Strats, especially ones that are sold in those package deals, are rarely any good

14. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Seeing the Gibson ads reminded me how garbage their QA is nowadays and it made me sad.

15. phaynes1

Regular

they're an awful company lol

by contrast, peavey's QA and CS is incredible

16. AndrewSoup

haha, i did not! had to divert my money elsewhere. i'll keep that in mind! i felt that it was probably gonna be cheap material for that price, but i'm broke and it was affordable, haha.

17. Smittzerland

First time long time (FKA musicfan9795) Prestigious

Need to get a new amp. Tired of my shitty Frontman solid-state. Leaning towards wither an AC15 or a Blues Junior. Also in the market for a delay.

18. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

On a bigger guitar kick than ever and really want to make an impulse purchase on an acoustic (my main guitar is a Fender American Strat). I'd spend $200-$300. Anyone have suggestions?

19. Smittzerland

First time long time (FKA musicfan9795) Prestigious

A little bit over budget, but I have a Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat. Love that thing to death. Played it in stores for well over two years before I bought it last November.

20. notiesnoroots

I play in a progressive/ambient rock group. Very effects heavy, and very loud. We play out professionally often and are planning a tour for this summer. This is my current set up:

Fender FMT Spalted Telecaster into a Peavey 5150 II thru a Mesa 4x12 cab

Pedalboard: Guitar into Tuner > Fuzzrocious Rat Tail > Way Huge Supa Puss > Electroharmonix Nanograil > Into Amp. FX Loop chain = Boss TR-2 Tremolo > Strymon Blue Sky > Strymon Timeline > Boss RC-2 > FX LOOP OUT.

pic posted as well

21. Jake Z

Regular

I just got a starter acoustic guitar this week and am stoked to learn how to play. I plan on getting lessons to at least learn the very basic fundamentals. You guys have any advice or tips for complete newbies like myself?

22. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

I don't like sgs or les pauls

23. Jose

weightless in the valley

Currently play a custom Palmer Slingshot LTD into a Line 6 Spider IV 75 amp. Pretty basic, works well enough to play in band sessions and recordings while I save up for a better amp. Also looking to pick up an acoustic guitar, between the $400-$500 range, so I'm all ears to any suggestions.

24. Emotherapy

Regular

I play a Jazzmaster that I'm in love with.

I really need a new amp. All I have is this Line 6 Spider IV that I got for free and I've been borrowing my guitarist's kustom for gigs. I know nothing about amps though and have no idea what I want.

TOS_Matt likes this.
  25. TOS_Matt

Current setup:

Fender Classic Player Jazzmaster (Black/Rosewood)

Head: Marshall DSL 100H

Pedals:

1. MXR Stereo Chorus
    2. Walrus Voyager
    3. Line 6 DL4
    4. ZVEX Fuzz Factory