Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Great Wall (Zhang; February, 2017) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by airik625, Jul 30, 2016.

1. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Matt Damon
    Willem Dafoe
    Pedro Pascal

2. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

I'm confused, why are the leads in a film about the Great Wall, albeit one that is pure fantasy, white dudes? Like I'm not even trying to make this into a racial argument or anything, that literally doesn't make any sense to me.

3. And I'm out.

4. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I'm with you I think I sighed out loud when I heard about it and again while reading that statement

People Are Outraged That Matt Damon Is Starring In A Movie About The Great...

5. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

I've seen so many articles about this already.

No way it's going to be good.

6. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Has anyone come across any articles that talk about how this film may be the Chinese film industry co-opting (not using this in a derogatory way) Matt Damon instead of the other way around? Given the director and the film's status as a co-production with China, I do find some of the claims of whitewashing exaggerated. The importance of Chinese box office for American films has only been growing over the past decade, so I don't think it's too far off to believe that the presence of an American actor in a Chinese film is more catering to the Chinese audience than anywhere else.