Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Grateful Dead Thread Band • Page 22

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Wharf Rat, Mar 8, 2016.

1. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

One of the great songwriters/lyricists of all time. RIP.

nl5011 likes this.
  2. tomdelonge

Trusted

fare you well my honey :(

3. Damn, RIP

4. It's all a dream we dreamed, one afternoon long ago

tomdelonge likes this.
  5. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

phil saw sturgill lol

DaydreamNation likes this.
  6. Wharf Rat

nl5011 and WordsfromaSong like this.
  7. Wharf Rat

If anyone here listens to Big Thief can they tell me if I'm doing the Deadhead thing of inventing connections where there aren't any or if their bass tone also reminds you of Phil in like 72-74. Just the tone not the playing

8. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

For the absolute life of me I do understand the Big Thief hype. Have listened to every album, including today, and been bored to tears. To each their own of course.

9. Wharf Rat

First and foremost for them for me is the songwriting, and then the way they build this sort of hazy atmosphere with the guitars and drums that the bright bass tone then bursts through. It's beautiful to me. But that mostly describes UFOF, haven't had enough time with the new one yet.

10. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

i posted about it in the unpopular opinions thread. i like all of their albums but never find myself in the mood to listen more than a handful of times.

11. Wharf Rat

12. Wharf Rat

This exchange appeared in Hunter's mailbag on 8/6/96:

Date: Jul 25 1996 12:36 AM EDT
    Dear Robert,

After reading through a number of Mailbags posted at your web site, I finally decided that it was time to contribute a thought and a question.

Between your evocative, thoughtful lyrics and Jerry's powerful melodies, I have aphorisms and meditations a-plenty to help me through my days and in my life. For that, thank you, thank you, thank you.

I sat down the other day and figured out the chord changes to Mission in the Rain. My wife (who is not a deadhead) especially likes that song. Maybe it is because we live in San Francisco and there is a reference to the Mission. When I play it she always starts dancing.

Robert, if you would, please tell me what you were thinking when you penned the phrase "box of rain." What, for you, does a box of rain represent. I am not asking for the meaning of the song, or for you to explain the song to me -- I spent plenty of time on my own doing that. I am just terribly curious how you came to choose that image.

Well, I won't take any more bandwith. There is much I would like to say, but I've said it in my mind for so long now, it feels funny and self-conscious trying to put onto "paper."

Regards,
    Charlie Bass

Charlie,

well, I don't like to do this, since it encourages others to ask about what I had in mind when I wrote a song, and mostly you'd need to have my mind to understand even approximately what I had in it. By "box of rain," I meant the world we live on, but "ball" of rain didn't have the right ring to my ear, so box it became, and I don't know who put it there.

[rh]

The Annotated "Box of Rain"

Man

tomdelonge likes this.
  13. tomdelonge

Trusted

annotated dead is the best website the internet ever came up with

14. Wharf Rat

Except maybe Dead.net during the period that excerpt is from where it was just Hunter posting his thoughts and replying to emails. Otherwise yeah. There's a print book version of annotated dead that they put out for GD50 that looks really cool

tomdelonge likes this.
  15. tomdelonge

Trusted

deadnet's very cool. i'm not familiar with its 90's/oo's iterations, its current incarnation is easy on the eyes, but i suppose the prosaic tszuj of annotated dead takes me to a yesterday place

Wharf Rat likes this.
  16. Wharf Rat

Lol it's really crazy to scroll down and see like last updated: 1999

tomdelonge likes this.
  17. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

My fiance and I locked down our wedding venue this weekend, and it's safe to say it's heady as fuck. It was originally meant to be a commune for Dead fans in the 90s. Before the vault was established they were trying to purchase the rights to the music and have weekly listening parties and bonfires at the site, which they wanted to name Terrapin Station. That didn't work out so it became a big outdoor retreat and wedding venue.

Still, Dead stuff abounds. Some of the cabins are named Dancing Bear Lodge and Bird Song. The guy giving us the tour showed us a picture of him riding the rail at Cornell during Morning Dew and his massive Dead print collection. Oteil, Metzger and others host highly-priced week-long music camps there. Great vibes all around!

Some cool photos in the venue itself:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

nl5011, Wharf Rat and tomdelonge like this.
  18. Wharf Rat

The headiest wedding venue imaginable, incredible

Drewski likes this.
  19. Wharf Rat

Seeing up and coming Connecticut-based jam band "Goose" this weekend. Please everyone check out up and coming Connecticut-based jam band "Goose" at goosetheband.bandcamp.com (free streaming!)

20. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

I like Goose more than any other new jam band I've heard because they can actually sing and write decent songs.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  21. Wharf Rat

Exactly how I felt, and when I found out they were from my state I knew had to make a solid effort to see them. Have a ticket for their christmas thing too but not 100% sure I'm going yet

22. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

The hype for Goose is VERY real...but I think they are quite legit. Their Halloween tickets in NYC are going for $120!

Wharf Rat likes this.
  23. Wharf Rat

Yeah its insane and I'm not sure they really deserve it at the level it's at but there is definitely something there

24. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

They’re playing here next month and I’ll probably end up checking them out.

Wharf Rat likes this.