Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Grateful Dead Thread Band • Page 19

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Wharf Rat, Mar 8, 2016.

1. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

damn, D&C is really stepping up their video quality for this tour.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  2. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

Jesse Jarnow's book Heads is a must read for a jam band fan or acid eater or person interested in counterculture/Dead history. Tons of cool shit

WordsfromaSong likes this.
  3. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

That's been on my list for awhile, gotta get to it soon.

4. Wharf Rat

Halfway through chapter 2, so much about Bear and his disciples, the first tapers and their bootlegs, communes, cults...good shit

phaynes12 likes this.
  5. Wharf Rat

The Grateful Dead's Bob Weir Will Not Rest

Weir sits in one of the bus's leather armchairs, wearing shorts, a T-shirt, and an Apple Watch with two silver skull-and-crossbones studs on the black band. Cross-legged and barefoot, he looks top-of-the-mountain wise, largely on account of the profusion of whiskers that has taken over his face, from neck to cheekbone, like rosebushes gone wild on the side of an abandoned house. Add in bushy eyebrows and a luminous crown of white hair and other metaphors suggest themselves: Lorax, gold-mad Western sidekick, holy guru, homemade Albert Einstein costume… Weir prefers “Civil War cavalry colonel” to describe what he saw in the mirror one morning after not shaving for a few weeks on tour. Sometime later, he saw a photo of an ancestor. “He had a full-on Yosemite Sam mustache. I said to myself, ‘That's a look that's fallen from favor for the past 150 years or so. I'm just the guy to bring it back.’ ” It is possible that Weir's tongue is in his cheek, but it is hard to tell. On account of all the beard.

I love him

phaynes12 likes this.
  6. Wharf Rat

"I love the sound of my fucking instrument" ME TOO BOBBY ME TOO LONG LIVE THE KID

7. Wharf Rat

Also, he was writing songs with John Prine!!!!!

8. Wharf Rat

9. WordsfromaSong May 30, 2019
    (Last edited: May 30, 2019)
    WordsfromaSong

Trusted

Some Hornsby era Dead for today

Wharf Rat likes this.
  10. Wharf Rat

Late era Bob is so weird to me. How did he get from there to here. It's like he just woke up with the beard one day

11. Wharf Rat

lol wait how about this. yang gang doodle lol

12. Wharf Rat

from Jarnow's book:

AFTER NED LAGIN parts ways with the Grateful Dead and takes a job at an early computer company, the biomusic composer is just another psychedelicized boy genius turned adult genius in Northern California. He plays clavichord from time to time and makes other art, but that’s about it. His new job at Processor Technology still makes him interface with the hippies, though, sending him down to Palo Alto to attend the regular meetings of the fledgling Homebrew Computer Club. The monthly outlet for the Peninsula’s computer counterculture, there are plenty of long-haired, acid-taking tape collectors among them. A pair of obsessive Bob Dylan reel-to-reel traders both named Steve are regulars at the Homebrew meetings, sharing projects from a Los Altos garage. Eventually the Steves, Jobs and Wozniak, make their way to Processor Technology in Berkeley clutching a circircuit board that they call a computer. Being longhairs, someone sends Ned Lagin down to deal with them. He talks to them for a few minutes, recognizing them from the Homebrew meetings. But he sends Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak and their Apple prototype home. “I’m sick of helping hippies,” Ned Lagin thinks.

INSANE story lmfao

WordsfromaSong and phaynes12 like this.
  13. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

The connection between 60s hippies and Silicon Valley never fails to amuse.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  14. Wharf Rat

OhTheWater likes this.
  15. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Ayyy

Wharf Rat likes this.
  16. phaynes12

i know jerry’s covers with his band kinda get bashed but this cover of tangled up in blue fucking rules

17. Wharf Rat

i love jerry band. sometimes it was overindulgent but its just pure jerry baby. beamed to your ears. i was listening to what i linked earlier because someone tweeted about this from 36 years ago today. shreds

phaynes12 likes this.
  18. Wharf Rat Jun 3, 2019
    (Last edited: Jun 3, 2019)
    Wharf Rat

The third set of this show rules. Truckin'>Nobody's Fault Jam>Other One>Eyes>Stella>Sugar Mag. The Truckin> Jam is some scary shit, and then at the end of the 1-drummer drums you hear some guy say HEY MAN and then you get the Phil TOO intro. And then TOO breaks down sort of Playin' style and builds back up into this crazy and unique Caution-style jam that Bob kicks off. Its only for like 2 and a half minutes from 8:00+ in TOO but its wild. '73 rules, you hear such drastic evolution over the course of that year. By the time you get to that week in November (11/11, 11/14, 11/17 are all all-timers) it sounds jazzy like '74 but here is a sort of middle ground because that and country '72. Super interesting stuff

Grateful Dead Live at Stadium, U.C Santa Barbara on 1973-05-20 : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

19. Wharf Rat

Got tickets to see Phil & Willie w/ Alison Krauss next weekend very pumped. And then D&C two days later

20. Wharf Rat

From what I've heard D&C sound better than ever. Tempo is way up too. Excited for SPAC

phaynes12 likes this.
  21. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

One of my favorite Jerry tunes. Weird time for the band, although '91 was probably the last time they were truly great with any consistency. Can't say I'm a fan of Vince's keyboard sound here, but getting to see the communication between Hornsby and Jerry alone makes this video worth it.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  22. Wharf Rat

You're dead on. Vince is distractingly loud lol, it's bad. But that 2+ straight minutes of intense eye contact between Jerry and Bruce is really really cool. I get the idea of two keyboards to kind of make up for Jerry's less dense playing in the post-coma years but that was not it

WordsfromaSong likes this.
  23. Wharf Rat

this weekend's poster is aweomse

[​IMG]

kyle, WordsfromaSong and phaynes12 like this.
  24. phaynes12

oh that rips

Wharf Rat likes this.
  25. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Oh no I’m subscribed to this thread now and have to read this