Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Grateful Dead Thread Band • Page 18

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Wharf Rat, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

Folks. I think I've found the single greatest GD recording ever. You've probably heard it before - 8/6/71 Hard to Handle. Everyone loves it because of Jerry's solo, but like usual Phil is overlooked. He's destroying from the get and actually takes the first solo and then the third solo and then him and Jerry solo together before Jerry's famous solo starts to finish it off.

The new discovery though is the Seamons matrix, which I had never heard because I somehow had never thought to go to the archive of this show. YouTube only has AUD versions which sound okay but on both versions Phil is way too low and Bob gets drowned out completely. The matrix version though.... Jesus. Just listen please. You need your best headphones or ideally to turn up your best speakers as loud as they go without breaking. Tell me you're not screaming at the end.

Grateful Dead Live at Hollywood Palladium on 1971-08-06 : Free Borrow & Streaming : Internet Archive

Big thanks to Keith's parents who discovered the only surviving SBD of the show on their houseboat, where it somehow didn't get destroyed just sitting their for 35 years.

2. Wharf Rat Apr 26, 2019
    (Last edited: Apr 26, 2019)
    Wharf Rat

cool thread on a crazy show that includes a link to a story about Velvet Underground going over set time and preventing the Dead from playing their second set the first night, and then the Dead doing the same thing to them the next night

3. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

Seeing the velvet underground open for the dead would be nuts.

DaydreamNation and Wharf Rat like this.
  4. Wharf Rat

DaydreamNation and phaynes12 like this.
  5. Wharf Rat

Take a, step back,...and another...step back

6. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

Listened to Dozin at the Knick (March 1990) today.

Man that The Wheel>All Along The Watchtower>Stella Blue>Not Fade Away is a crazy good stretch.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  7. Wharf Rat

8. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

i know they’re from the bay but bobby being a warriors fan sucks ass. at least be interesting and pull for the kings, my guy.

9. Wharf Rat

I'm sure he's been a nominal warriors fan since they moved there. Dude is genuinely into sports so I'm not gonna assume he's glory hunting. He is more into football I think though

phaynes12 likes this.
  10. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Spinning this guy today.

nl5011 and phaynes12 like this.
  11. Wharf Rat

85...very bold pick, i admire it

DaydreamNation likes this.
  12. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

That Comes a Time -> Lost Sailor is some great moody magic.

13. Wharf Rat

folks.............download it

nl5011 likes this.
  14. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

First video from the All the Years Live series they're doing on Youtube

Wharf Rat and nl5011 like this.
  15. Wharf Rat

hoooly shit lmfao this story is incredible

16. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

buchla modular synths are literally some of the coolest instruments i've ever played in my life but they're absurdly expensive. like. 13k for a unit haha.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  17. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

Hope that guy had fun.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  18. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

started listening to these guys this month

the guide at the beginning of the thread rules ty @Wharf Rat

good band imo

nl5011 and Wharf Rat like this.
  19. Wharf Rat

sick! whatd you hear

20. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

Started with the entry level go-to Workingman's Dead and American Beauty

Both owned, particularly dug Workingman's Dead but also I've had more time with that one at this point

Now onto tipping my toes into the live stuff with Skull & Roses (awesome so far)

Basically following your guide to a tee lol

Wharf Rat likes this.
  21. Wharf Rat

I was actually thinking about the guide recently. I kinda wanna redo it. For one, I don't give enough credit to the studio albums especially the 60s ones. Stay tuned

neo506 and Aregala like this.
  22. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

Wharf Rat likes this.
  23. Wharf Rat

This is a really interesting recording with Bob extremely high in the mix, good for anyone who wants to learn more about his guitar style. It's like whoever mixed it couldn't tell which guitar was the lead. Plus cool visuals

Aregala likes this.
  24. Wharf Rat

Anyway I turned the guide into a little diagram segmenting the dead's releases into eras, so that a new listener might be able to get a more immediate grasp of the band's styles and evolutions over time as well as find some of the best live releases from different eras. The old version, if you liked it with its poor formatting and all, is linked in a pastebin in tiny text below the diagram.

25. Jakobindeed

My Whole Life is Thunder Prestigious

That chart rules and I wish I had it when I got into them, I started with so much Europe ‘72 I didn’t want to hear Sugaree again for like 6 months

Wharf Rat likes this.