Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Grateful Dead Thread Band • Page 17

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Wharf Rat, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

2. Wharf Rat

Relix is having fun today

3. Wharf Rat

WordsfromaSong likes this.
  4. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

I had on a song from...someone I'm drawing a blank....on youtube and it auto-played "Tennessee Jed" live with Hornsby and that song is a jam.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  5. Wharf Rat

I said once you would be into late period dead. My favs of that era are Without a Net and the movie Downhill From Here that's on YouTube. But I don't know as much about it.

Tennessee Jed is a dope song though they never put it on a studio album. Europe 72 version rips. Full of dope country rock jams

6. Wharf Rat

Bear's Sonic Journals series is super fun. A Hot Tuna tape from 69 before they were Hot Tuna, an OG ABB tape, and this gem:

7. Wharf Rat

extremely underrated dead song imo, a hidden fav

8. cshadows2887

I may be slowly getting converted. I shazamed an awesome song that was on in a restaurant and it turned out to be "Unbroken Chain"

9. Wharf Rat

You should probably just listen to some studio albums. I've recently been convinced that they are not as bad as I used to think - they just have filler and are different from the live versions I love the most. The important thing for a new fan could be just finding individual songs you like and you can certainly do that from the studio albums.

Unfortunately Unbroken Chain was played, like, maybe 3 times live ever? It is a great song though, a rare Phil tune. He's got 3 others that I know of. Box of Rain, which I'm sure you've heard. Pride of Cucamonga, also on Mars Hotel with Unbroken Chain, another extreme rarity in terms of live performances. And Passenger, off Terrapin Station, which is actually sung by Donna, and was played more live. It's also based off of a reworking of a Fleetwood Mac riff, I'd be interested to see if you could tell which one it is just by listening (no one I know has been able to, it's not a hit or anything) so I won't say.

Keep listening!

10. Is it just me or is the synth weirdly high in the mix on this version? good tune tho

11. I'm not a Dead "head" per se, though I love their music, but springtime always makes me want to listen to them nonstop

12. Wharf Rat

It's possible, it is early Brent era so maybe they were trying to show him off. Especially as contrast to the late Keith era that immediately preceded it, where he needed to be turned down because he was playing so poorly. I really like Brent's playing though

Great tape. The Europe 72 Complete Recordings are essential. I think my favorite of them are that one, which IIRC is the best of the 4 night Lyceum run, the first Tivoli show (4/14/72) and the Hundred Year Hall one (4/26/72).

DaydreamNation likes this.
  13. Oh for sure, the playing is awesome and it's a cool funky keys tone as well, the mix just felt a bit off

Yeah it's a fantastic tape, probably my favorite show of my favorite Dead era/tour. I believe 5/26 was the last night of the whole tour

Wharf Rat likes this.
  14. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

sup. this band rules. nice.

Wharf Rat and DaydreamNation like this.
  15. Wharf Rat

Yeah it does

16. Wharf Rat

17. cshadows2887

Damn just off "Box of Rain" and "Unbroken Chain" he already has a hell of a batting average.

As for the Mac song it reminds me of "Say You Love Me" in the first few seconds and key-wise as I listen, but I don't think that's close enough to be the one you're thinking about.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  18. Wharf Rat

Yeah, I don't think it's really guessable (I'm sure he interpolated it 8 different ways) but it's a fun exercise. I'll look up what it is when I get the chance

19. Wharf Rat

Lesh wrote the song, admittedly based on Fleetwood Mac’s riff for their song “Station Man.” Lesh said, in an interview in Dupree’s Diamond News, “What's weird about that song is I sort of did it as a joke. It's a take on a Fleetwood Mac tune called ‘Station Man.’ I just sort of sped it up and put some different chord changes in there..."

Grateful Dead Greatest Stories Ever Told - “Passenger”

Great song

20. Wharf Rat

BTW you don't have to be an obsessive to be a head. A fan is a fan imo

DaydreamNation likes this.
  21. Wharf Rat

It's the anniversary of one of the scariest things the dead ever played:

and yesterday was the anniversary of a different one from hartford baby:

honorable mentions:

Drewski likes this.