Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Grateful Dead Thread Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Wharf Rat, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

Did you turn 21 in prison doing life without parole? Do you tend to look for neither fights or answers, cuz you know it'll come out right? Do you stop strangers just to shake their hand? What do you want....sky? Do you not know but you've been told, its hard to run with the weight of gold? But on the other hand, you've heard it said, it's just as hard with the weight of led? Do you like to drive trains, high on cocaine? Is your tongue twisted with words unspoken and thoughts unclear? Will a box of rain ease the pain, and love see you through? Are you Saturday's child, all alone, moving with a tinge of grace? Are you a clown in the burying ground? Or just another pretty face? Might you meet the fate of Ophelia, sleeping perchance to dream? Are you honest to the point of recklessness, self-centered in the extreme? Will you let the words be mine, you are done with yours? Is all you know that something like a bird within her sang?

Do you like to laugh in the sunshine, sing, cry in the dark, fly through the night?

What up y'all its ya resident deadhead here to post about the Grateful Dead until none of you like me anymore. I'm pumped for it lets go. See ya at SPAC and in Hartford this summer where I will be doing drugs and listening to John Mayer shred like hell with Bobby & the boys.

2. Wharf Rat Mar 8, 2016
    (Last edited: May 25, 2019)
    Wharf Rat

If you're reading this post, you probably are interested in the Grateful Dead. Where do you start? The below chart segments the band's history and releases so as to be easier to understand in the way a deadhead might than a giant wikipedia list of dozens of releases. I would say you shouldn't use this as a flowchart, its not necessarily the best order to listen to everything, its about eras or major shifts in sound. The first two tiers are a good starting point, but you could just as easily start with Cornell '77 or even Wake of the Flood if its to your taste. Jump around, and latch onto stuff you like.

(open attachment or right click>open image in new tab to enlarge)

[​IMG]

old version

RESOURCES:

MUSIC:
    Grateful Dead : Free Music : Free Audio : Free Download, Borrow and Streaming : Internet Archive Streams of multiple sources of almost every Dead show ever. The best soundboards are usually Charlie Miller transfers and the best Matrices are usually Hunter Seamons.
    Grateful Grabber Chrome extension for downloading Dead shows from the Archive, which you can no longer otherwise do.
    The Annotated Grateful Dead Lyrics, by David Dodd Annotated Grateful Dead lyrics by David Dodd, Deadhead author
    Vote on the best version of Grateful Dead songs | headyversion Find the best versions of songs
    GD Recommended shows by year Spreadsheet with show recs
    ShiningBest.com - Grateful Dead setlists and more. Grateful Dead stats & history
    Grateful Dead Listening Guide Show review blog
    Intro to Listening to the Dead on reddit
    Dead & Company : Free Audio : Free Download, Borrow and Streaming : Internet Archive D&C on Archive

Musician websites:
    Official Site Dead & Co Tour info
    PHIL LESH
    Bob Weir
    Jerry Garcia
    Mickey Hart - Grammy Winning Percussionist & Musicologist
    Robert Hunter Archive

GD Family:
    David Lemieux (@lemieuxdavid) | Twitter - Archivist
    David Gans (@davidgans) | Twitter - GD hour host, author
    Cloud Surfing GD hour site

MORE:
    The Strangest of Places. • r/grateful_dead subreddit
    https://old.reddit.com/r/gratefuldead/ bigger subreddit
    Thoughts On The Dead silly blog by some boomer
    Library Guides: The Grateful Dead Archive: Welcome!

Attached Files:

3. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

I will never be their biggest fan, but I can vouch for how awesome American Beauty and Workingman's Dead are.

4. Wharf Rat

Yeah those are the cuts everyone should listen to no matter what, completely undeniable

5. Wharf Rat

Wow, my overwrought and ridiculously long guides about semi-niche subjects look slick on this site

cshadows2887 likes this.
  6. cshadows2887

Never stop doing them.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  7. I'm gonna listen to more GD now

Wharf Rat likes this.
  8. Wharf Rat

:blush::blush::blush::blush::heart::heart::heart::heart::ok::ok::ok::ok:

i need my damn dancing bear emoji @Jason Tate. How has no one made that yet. The entire internet and no Grateful Dead emoji. Maybe there's a steal your face emoji

Jason Tate likes this.
  9. I am listening to American Beauty right now and feeeeeeling it

Wharf Rat likes this.
  10. Wharf Rat

It's beautiful. One of my favorites ever [124242353143]

11. Wharf Rat

TheVandyMan, schlotty and brandon_260 like this.
  12. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Wharf Rat likes this.
  13. Wharf Rat

This whole album is incredible, honestly. Everyone should listen to this, very accessible. @cshadows2887 might even enjoy.

14. Wharf Rat

Leggo

15. Wharf Rat

The most played song around campfires by stoned 18-29 year olds all time tbh

16. Wharf Rat

Its a top 5 dead song. Bob sounds so great and they are so many good live versions, it's a great comedown rock out song after intense emotional jams

17. nfdv2

Trusted Prestigious

i like Bertha should i listen to the album it's on or just go w/ american beauty??

Wharf Rat likes this.
  18. Wharf Rat

Both, tbh. It's only on the live album Skull and Roses, but its better than most of their studios and not a bad introduction at all. But definitely listen to American Beauty too I genuinely think everyone should it's just straight up great Americana folk/country rock stuff.

nothingsforeverdude likes this.
  19. cshadows2887

Actually put "Friend of the Devil" on a random playlist today

Wharf Rat likes this.
  20. cshadows2887

The week I eventually cave and do the Dead, I will need so much consulting with Ben. Haha

schlotty and Wharf Rat like this.
  21. Wharf Rat

Oh man yes please

22. cshadows2887

Haha it may take a bit before it's their turn, but I'm sure they will get a week

Random sidenote, but are you into Santana? His jazz leanings made me wonder

Wharf Rat likes this.
  23. Wharf Rat

It was their highest charting song at 64 until 87 when "Touch of Gray" randomly hit #9. 17 years between their biggest hits haha

24. Wharf Rat

Not as much as I should be. A few months ago I listened to Caravanserai and a couple others from around the and really liked then but neglected to return. I definitely owe him more time

25. cshadows2887

I haven't gotten to that one or his record with John McLaughlin when he got full on fusion, but fuck if their first 3 records are just ludicrously good

Wharf Rat likes this.