Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Grand Tour (Jeremy Clarkson, James May, Richard Hammond) TV Show

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Ferrari333SP, May 11, 2016.

1. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

2. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Debuts tonight!

3. RachelM

4. esposimi

Regular Prestigious

The chemistry, production quality, humor, and cinematography from Top Gear was all there. Great to see the trio back on TV again.

Schooner and Ferrari333SP like this.
  5. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Yeah it was a triumphant return for those three; can't believe we get 3 months straight of these shows, double the length of the Top Gear seasons.

6. John

Trusted Prestigious

third epi was the best yet. (i've always been partial to the euro road trips)

7. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

I agree, the level of banter between them was great that episode. Loved seeing Hammond go absolutely wild with the Hellcat; it's such a loud, in your face American muscle car

8. Schooner

Trusted

First episode watched.
    Loved it. Not sure if I'd gotten used to Top Gear. But since their absence and then replacements I'd forgotten how much I loved the classic trio. So much chemistry. I'm back on board!!

9. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Keep watching the rest; there's an occasional dip in quality of content in a few of the episodes, but them expanding the amount of episodes they do in a season from 6 to 12, they're having to stretch it out more, so it's understandable. Still, lots of funny bits and some quite good car action

Schooner likes this.
  10. PauLo

43% Burnt

Well, the new series has started pretty badly, huh?

11. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

The Colombia episodes weren't bad; it's just they didn't really present anything new or interesting

12. PauLo

43% Burnt

13. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

I agree that it's a lazy joke, but I don't think it's nearly as bad as she makes it out to be.

It's weird because you would have thought that from the backlash of when Hammond made the ice cream joke in a previous season and getting a ton of heat from it that Amazon would have told them to stand down on that kind of joke. It's strange because they've admitted that they are playing exaggerated caricatures of themselves so it's weird that people get so mad at them for a scripted comedy show about cars. I just feel like out of ALL the jokes in the world, maybe not taking easy shots at a community that's constantly insulted and discriminated against would be a good and easy idea.

14. PauLo

43% Burnt

At least on the BBC they had boundaries and worked their humour round them. Without them, they're come across as parodies of the parodies of themselves they were playing before. If that makes sense!

I agree that it was weird they'd go after a community that they'd got in hot water with before. It obviously wasn't malicious, but it was extremely short sited and those that it offended are well within their rights to be upset.

15. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

They need to mature. They are smart guys and in interviews and public don't seem to be giant homophobic dicks. But that's not ebough. More people watch their show than read their interviews and people believe they are just playing themselves on the show.

That kind of stuff can't fly now.

16. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

I highly doubt those jokes were "scripted", they sound more like impulsive, offensive jokes that show their true colors if you ask me.

17. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

I doubt the jokes weren't scripted when they have a scene where they film Jeremy eating an ice cream cone in his Jeep in front of a statue of a man's ass.

They've gone on record before telling people how much of the show is scripted because banter is a lot harder to do on the spot and they have an obligation to fill a set amount of time and they have to find enough stuff to talk about. I just think it's lazy writing.

18. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Regardless, I feel that if they truly had a problem with the jokes and/or knew they were inappropriate, they wouldn't have said them. They can say no to their writers. The blame is just as much on them

19. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

Oh I totally agree. I can only imagine how much say goes into their writing. Probably a lot.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  20. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

Welp. I retract my statements of defense after Clarkson said this: "I will apologise to Will for causing him some upset - and reassure him that I know I'm not homophobic as I very much enjoy watching lesbians on the internet."

21. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Didn't care much for the latest episode with the trucks; not much in the way of good humor, just another decently power car in the Jaguar, and just slapstick comedy attempted with the three trucks. Meh

Vase Full Of Rocks likes this.
  22. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

This season has honestly been a letdown. Especially since they had some great episodes last season.

23. PauLo

43% Burnt

I rewatched the episode when they made the cars made out of mud and plants and bones and it’s genuinely one of the funniest they’ve done. To see them go from that to these recent ones is a tad disappointing.

They really are getting towards the end of their sell by date now

24. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

I know the first episode they said this season will be 13 episodes, which is the longest so far, so I'm wondering that, to fill all the episodes with material, they've had to include more bits they normally wouldn't show in an episode. When they were doing Top Gear, since each "season" was only six episodes at a time, nearly every episode seemed like they were truly on top of their game. Now with so many more episodes, they have much more room and time to show whatever bits they want