Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Good Place (NBC) TV Show • Page 49

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, May 15, 2016.

1. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

Honestly isn’t a show with an actual plot kinda out of his wheelhouse a little bit? It’s not like the office or parks or I’m assuming b99 where it’s very episode driven. Obviously those things had plots but the show wasn’t hinged on it and people weren’t constantly expecting twists and reveals and major plot points.
    It would make sense why it might not sustain itself for a long time. Which sucks because the humor is so good I would watch it for many seasons. But it’s hard to stretch the storyline like that. I can’t imagine it being like those shows and having 6 seasons or whatever

2. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

That's a really good point that I've never considered and I bet you're right. I think the first two seasons are near perfect but this third season has really exposed the issues that were always a little annoying and then brought them to the forefront.

I hope they can either end it on a high note or really surprise me and do something extravagant in order to keep it going.

supernovagirl and awakeohsleeper like this.
  3. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

If I had to make a prediction, I would say no more than two more seasons. I think 5 will be a good number to go out on. Renew it the week of the season 4 premiere for a final season and go out on top.

4. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

yeah i cant see it going for more than 5 honestly

5. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I’d be quite happy if it ended after a fourth series. There were so many twists and leaps in season three that it felt as though there’s not many places to take it. It’s a genius show but how many of these brilliant television shows have ruined their legacy by persisting long after they should have called it a day...? Too many.

incognitojones and supernovagirl like this.
  6. supernovagirl

I personally don’t mind about the plot like I said the humor and characters are enough for me but I can understand where people are coming from with it. Unfortunately I do think it will probably cap out at 4 or 5 seasons

7. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Yeah I think the character development is the most important part and I've never found it frustrating or boring

8. supernovagirl

Exactly!

Max_123 and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  9. Anthony_

For the record I think this show has been and remains perfect in nearly every way. I don't want it to end, but I generally think that it's better to end things on a high note before they get too played out. I don't think that could happen to this show anytime soon, but it can happen to any show. It's just harder in general for something as serialized as this to go on for a long time than it is for something more procedural.

Whatever happens, as long as Schur and co. get to end it on their terms, that's all I care about. I am never in favor of creators not getting to finish what they started, under any circumstances (see: Hannibal, The Last Man on Earth, etc.).

10. Importer/Exporter

he’ll live forever in the sound of broken glass Supporter

Especially with shows that are about broad, weighty topics like this one, I think it’s best to cap say what you want to say and get out. I always go back to (as i mentioned above) The Leftovers vs. Lost. The former was only three seasons, and for the most part it let the mystery be so that it could focus on exploring the weird existential heavy shit it wanted to explore while remaining exciting and emotionally grounded in amazing character-work. Lost, which i loved, had over one hundred episodes and lost the plot / treaded water for a significant period of its run because it was important to ABC that it stay on the air and became, for a lot of people, really frustrating. I know this is a comedy where those weren’t, but i still think a concise and focused 4-5 seasons would be better than 6-7 seasons where actors/writers would probably leave, sharks get jumped, etc.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  11. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

I mean, Schur asked Damon Lindelof for advice when he was creating this show lol. So I’m sure he’s taken the right lessons from both Lost and The Leftovers into consideration.

CarpetElf likes this.
  12. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

Four or five would be fine, if it drags on much more it’s not going to be as satisfying as it has been, they eventually have to run out of places to go.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  13. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

I just don't see how a (GREAT) show that's gone from "four people in hell" to "morality of the entire human race" in like 30 episodes can go for that many more? the show is also actively transforming itself and its like how do you keep that up before it just gets insufferable

awakeohsleeper and RyanPm40 like this.
  14. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Take the penultimate episode in season 3 which was almost universally liked in this thread - my wife didn’t enjoy it and her interest in the story began to wane after watching it. I honestly think the best thing they could do is let the fascinating scenario they’ve created play out for several episodes, a bit like season 1. Give everyone a breath and a bit of stability.

Season 3 did jump around a lot, particularly towards the end and I totally get my wife’s sentiment.

15. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Yeah, there was a lot of jumping around this season and it almost felt like they were running out of cash to spend on sets haha. Like spending an entire episode in that mail woman's house or the majority of an episode in Janet's void (which were still pretty good episodes on their own regardless)

16. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

My main two problems are having Chidi and Eleanor get together and using the memory resetting thing again. Chidi and his girlfriend was way more interesting and appropriate to me. And resetting memory is incredibly overdone. Idk, maybe just me. I’ll keep watching but give me a break.

EASheartsVinyl and RyanPm40 like this.
  17. [​IMG]

18. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Didn't Schur say somewhere he was planning for five seasons? I swear I read that somewhere

Blink182Bouncer likes this.
  19. Blink182Bouncer

Trusted

Yeah, I think I remember hearing he had a roughly 4-5 season plan, but idk how/if that'll pan out.

CarpetElf likes this.
  20. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Chidi and Eleanor are perfect.

ChaseTx, Max_123, mad and 3 others like this.
  21. yung_ting

Trusted

Watched the first three eps tonight after putting it off forever for no reason and oh boy was I dumb

22. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

Obligatory “don’t read thread until you’re caught up” warning post! Enjoy the ride!

23. yung_ting

Trusted

On S2E5 now

How has this show survived on a major network? As a philosophy dropout I’m thrilled but I really don’t understand how the premise of “hell is other people” managed to keep getting renewed

This is so good

24. Anthony_

Honestly, considering how NBC has basically made it their brand to kill everything that's good on it for the last several years (RIP Hannibal) I was expecting this to get the axe after season 1. I think the word-of-mouth and buzz and critical reception was just too overwhelming, though.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  25. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

They probably just have a lot of trust in Michael Schur at this point with how long he's been with the network

supernovagirl likes this.