Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Girl On The Train (Tate Taylor , October 7th 2016) Movie • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Apr 20, 2016.

1. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

I'm visiting my girlfriend in Milwaukee this weekend and we caught this tonight. I liked it for the most part, but, holy shit, this is such an emotionally draining film. The tone is so overbearing and there are literally zero lighter moments to lift the tension (not saying there should have been "jokes" inserted, necessarily, but there are still ways for it not to beat you over the head with it). It's the same problem I had with Shutter Island.

Also, maybe it was because my seat was uncomfortable in the theater, but this felt really, really long - the middle especially. I have a feeling that, again, it's because it's so tonally heavy that it contributed to it. At the same time though, I can't think of anything I would have cut, as it all felt necessary.

Aside from that, I liked it. Every performance is top-notch, and the last third was really strong and came together nicely.

2. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

It was fine. The book was nothing to write home about. I didn't find this to be a "disservice" to it.

3. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Totally agree. It certainly didn't elevate the source material in any way but it also wasn't insulting to watch. It was a faithful adaptation of a decent thriller that aspired to be the next Gone Girl but was nowhere near as compelling (in book or film). Emily Blunt was fantastic though, as she always is.

4. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

Needed to be 20 minutes shorter.

5. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Haven't seen it yet, but I was surprised this didn't even clock in at two hours.

6. Liz

Ew, David

Just not good at all. I liked the book but the movie felt like it lasted six hours.

For people who read the book, does Megan know who Rachel is at all? She does in the movie but I couldn't remember if it's that way in the book

7. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

I didn't read any reviews before seeing this...kinda assuming that it would be gone girl/side effects level of adult drama/thriller

Whoops haha

8. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Finally saw this last night and really enjoyed it. Guess I'm one of the few that did on here haha

Eric Wilson likes this.
  9. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Haha I liked it, and read the book also. Thought it was good.

10. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Not as bad as the above posts lead to believe, but I didn't read the book. Not an Oscar winnner, but certainly an enjoyable watch

11. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

I haven't read the book. But holy moly, this wasn't good.

12. TedSchmosby

Trusted

I have read the book, liked it well enough, but don't know if I should check this out