Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Get Up Kids Band • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by CoffeeEyes17, Aug 6, 2016.

1. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I've never like Four Minute Mile

2. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I have not listened to it yet, but probably this weekend or smth. I feel like the Promise Rings production sounds like it was recorded cheaply but ends up coming off very warm and inviting and for Mineral I never had a problem with their production despite maybe sounding dated in places on the Power of Failing (endserenading I think sounds gr8 tho). This one just came off a lil sloppy sounding. But still, will give the rest of their stuff a listen, I'm nothing if not persistent

Zac Djamoos likes this.
  3. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

I agree, although parts of The Power of Failing (like the intro to 5, 8, & 10) sound heinous. FMM is probably my least favorite, so it'll only go up from there! Haha. Hope you enjoy the rest of their stuff

4. irthesteve

Paul Beaumont likes this.
  5. Jake Z

Regular

The last few days I have just been playing STWHA and Red Letter Day/Woodson EP nonstop. Easily my favorite from them, and both are perfect.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  6. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I feel like listening to Something To Write Home About I can hear every bad thing anyone has said about emo on this album in particular and I thought that would go away with relistening but it has not. I don't really like Matt Pryor's vocals is what I am saying, but it doesn't ruin it. ALSO the flagrant ripping off of "Bad Scene, Everyone's Fault" by Jawbreaker for a few seconds on Ten Minutes makes me smile for some reason.
    Also uh just noticed my version has 13 tracks and action & action isn't one of them and that seems to be a fan favorite soo. Worth tracking down?

7. Not if you don't like the band..? Ha. This post is weird.

8. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I like the band musically, just not Matt Pryor's vocals and vocal delivery. Not that weird. The "every bad thing about emo" is specifically in reference to how his voice is a little high on nasal melodrama. It isn't actually a problem except that I feel like it undermines the parts that are supposed to be emotionally intense quiet parts. I think he's better at the louder, shouty stuff. Either way it's not a song ruiner, which indicated to me the songs are p strong

9. Collins

Trusted

the production on 30 degrees everywhere is just too low quality for me. i love the promise ring but that record is hard to get through, even though the songs are all good. FMM production doesn't bother me as much.

as for mineral, i agree with you that endserenading sounds gr8

10. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I think the sound on that album works for what they're doing. Like if this were the songs from Nothing Feels Good onwards, it wouldn't work, but those 30° Everywhere songs are a little more spacious. I do agree sometimes it's hard to get through, but I think it's a couple of songs in particular that drag. With FMM I think the music is busier and so it sounding a little murkier doesn't work as well imo, at least not for my tastes. It's a good thing in both cases the songs are still strong enough to stand apart from that.

Zac Djamoos likes this.
  11. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  12. torres

Regular

There are a few really solid songs on it, but the low budget production and recording quality don't help them IMO.

13. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

14. irthesteve

I'm not sure why I had it in my head that I wasn't a fan of Wrist Slitter, I listened again this morning and it's actually really fantastic! Some great songs on there and overall a solid release

15. how's the new Pryor album? i haven't heard anything off of it yet

16. devenstonow

Noobie

it's a nice listen. I've never really been able to get into any TGUK side projects other than Reggie, but I enjoyed it.

17. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

I really love Wrist Slitter, but i'm not a fan of the new one. The new one is just a snoozer and a bummer. You'd think the one titled 'wrist slitter' would be a bummer but it's really not.

18. irthesteve

I don't think the new one is necessarily bad, but it's very.... middle ground hah, I don't really know how else to explain it. There's no full band at all, so it's really just him this time around, it's enjoyable overall but easily his worst solo album

Kuri44 likes this.
  19. Kuri44

On A Wire turns 15 today!

20. Jake Z and SteveLikesMusic like this.
  21. Jake Z and troyplaysbass like this.
  22. Jakob Allen

Trusted

Fun story: I was 14 when On a Wire came out, I had never heard of TGUK, but I saw the album at Walmart and was drawn to it for some reason. I bought it without knowing anything about the band at all, and of course I was hooked. Funny how that worked out.

Kuri44, Jake Z and bradsonemanband like this.
  23. irthesteve

new band/song is pretty fun

Jake Z and bradsonemanband like this.
  24. Jake Z

Regular

25. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Excited about the new project. So glad Matt still enjoys making music.

Jake Z likes this.