Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Get Up Kids Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by CoffeeEyes17, Aug 6, 2016.

1. CoffeeEyes17 Aug 6, 2016
    (Last edited: Aug 7, 2016)
    CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

The Get Up Kids are a second wave emo band from Missouri formed in 1995. Theyve released 5 records, their sophomore record Something To Write Home About is widely considered as one of the finest records the midwest emo scene ever produced.

Talk about one of the most influential bands for our little scene. Kind of the scenes answer to The Smiths: widely influential, both humorous and poetic, and are probably your favorite bands favorite band. From Motion City Soundtrack to The Wonder Years to Thursday to Weezer and several others, their influence is wide and still felt today.

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  2. cherrywaves

Trusted

For as lauded STWHA is, I feel that On A Wire and especially Guilt Show are incredibly underrated. I want a pressing of Guilt Show ASAP

Connor and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  3. CoffeeEyes17

heyyooo fellow TGUK fan what up

yeah i totally agree. i didnt care for the 2011 record, but the other 4 are fantastic slices of emo tinged pop rock. this is one of those bands that i absolutely adore but i never talk about haha. its unfortunate how forgotten theyve kind of become

4. Laura

Bozo did the dub Prestigious

Love this band. I listened to Four Minute Mile for the first time in awhile a few days ago. I'm usually so focused on STWHA and On A Wire that I forget how much I like that album.

5. new tunes please omg

6. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Fix the first post to The Get Up Kids ARE a band. I saw them like, 3 weeks ago

7. CoffeeEyes17

Yes your highness

8. irthesteve

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  9. I listened to some New Ams today. Still holds up.

10. Horrorca

Trusted

why did TAR have to suck so bad

11. irthesteve

I like TAR, but yeah it's not their best album. Still a worthwhile and enjoyable listen

12. Laura

Bozo did the dub Prestigious

I was so excited for TAR, but I don't like it at all. One of my least favorite albums from a band I love.

13. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Guilt Show and Something To Write Home About will always hold a special place in my heart. Never could get into There Are Rules.

14. here to voice there are rules support

GhostDiaper and SteveLikesMusic like this.
  15. irthesteve

Guilt Show is far and away my favorite, and I was honestly a bit bummed when I saw them a few weeks ago that they played nothing from it. 6 songs from STWHA, and a few older songs from EPs and standalones, it was a weird set

16. want to see Guilt Show top to bottom because it's their best record

17. irthesteve

Tour:

18. There Are Rules is still fucking awesome

bradsonemanband likes this.
  19. f00te

tell it like a comeback story Prestigious

Saw TGUK last night in Indy. Sounded great and played all the hits.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  20. Jake Z

Regular

Woodson EP/4 minute mile/ STWHA are all incredible. The others are enjoyable as well. Great band.

21. am i the biggest There Are Rules fan on this board? yes? okey doke

22. cherrywaves

Trusted

There are some really good songs on there, haven't listened in awhile. Wonder if they put out new stuff soon

23. i really need Worse For The Wear to be one of the Vagrant 20th anniversary re-presses. also can't wait until they put up Guilt Show

Aregala and bradsonemanband like this.
  24. CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  25. cherrywaves

Trusted

HALLELULJAH