Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Get Down (Netflix) TV Show

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by irthesteve, Jun 27, 2016.

1. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

The first TV series from Baz Luhrmann premieres August 12 on Netflix. The Get Down stars Giancarlo Esposito (Breaking Bad), Jimmy Smits, Jaden Smith, and Shameik Moore (Dope).

Told through the lives and music of a ragtag crew of South Bronx teens, The Get Down is a mythic saga of the transformation of 1970s New York City.

2. irthesteve

and a new teaser

3. Never heard of it. Looks good.

4. irthesteve

I'm a big Baz fan, so I'm excited for this just based on him. Thankfully the trailer looks great too

5. I like Romeo+Juliet and Gatsby. Remember not being a big fan of Moulin Rouge, but I haven't seen it in forever.

6. irthesteve

I adore Moulin Rouge, easily my favorite of his films. Strictly Ballroom is really cool too and I actually LOVE Australia

7. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Australia was unwatchable for me but I still thing/hope this format will work for him

8. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

9. irthesteve

Looks great

10. DeathOrGlory

Just a friendly reminder

I'm really enjoying this, but then again, the Early Hip-Hop Years are kind of my catnip.

11. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

can't say I'm a Baz Luhrmann fan but I'm really excited to watch this

12. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Why is no one talking about this? Is it that bad?

13. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

I can't take it seriously. Everything from the music to the quick cuts...I don't know what it's trying to do.

14. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

It's not that its bad per se, it just has a very Broadway vibe in the dialogue, but its harder to forgive since its not in that format. Its overall pretty good, but its extremely cheesy. But if you like Baz Luhrmann's style (but not as flashy), you should enjoy the show.

15. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Thanks for the feedback. Probably not for me, but I'll give it a chance.

16. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I love the heightened style. It's super Baz Luhrman-y but I think sometimes that can work really well. Especially when it's embracing the Shakespearean elements this hard. Loved the first episode. Also made me think a lot of Tokyo Tribe, a blast of a movie, so I'm digging this a lot and looking forward to delving in more.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  17. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Just finished it, the heightened style is not as prominent in the later episodes, but it works. Overall, fun series 7/10

18. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

This show is fantastic, I don't understand all the criticism.

19. thischarmingman

tweets: @lamebandguy Prestigious

yo people for real don't like this show? i vibe w everything in it sooo much.

20. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

What a beautiful tribute to art. Especially the culture of art, the way that art becomes integral to the birth of a movement. How all the external factors of life and love and politics and religion and race and class sparked and caught fire and exploded into a behemoth of something so much bigger. Hip hop is more than art now, it is in the air we breathe, influencing the world around us in ways we often don't even realize, and it all came from this place. You feel it in the Get Down, the 1977 story bookended by the Daveed Diggs segments in the present day. I love this show. I wish everyone was watching it and talking about it.

CarpetElf and WordsfromaSong like this.
  21. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

I'm loving this, I think I only have an episode left (watched ep. 5). I understand it's cheesy, but I thought that was the point? I got a blaxploitation vibe from the beginning.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  22. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Maybe I'll give it a shot.

23. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

I like this quite a bit.

24. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

I need the rest of the season to drop now.

25. irthesteve

Just watched the pilot and really loved it, about to jump into episode 2