Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Gaslight Anthem Band • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

"Rosemary" is basically "Here Comes My Man Part II"

Ben Lee likes this.
  2. Ben Lee

I drink coffee and dad my kids Supporter

I was thinking that as I posted this! LOL!

Craig Manning likes this.
  3. junkmanserenade

Where are your friends tonight?

The album is so high on my list for this same reason. I had gotten into the band just a few months before, and spent that whole summer playing them nonstop while hanging out with friends. "Mae" might be my all-time favorite Gaslight song, and I love all the others. Even if the album as a whole isn't as good as the rest, it'll always hold a spot in my heart.

4. Craig Manning

I think there's a pretty strong argument to be made for either "Mae" or "Here Comes My Man" being the best song Fallon ever wrote. Only other song I'd put in the conversation with those two is "The Backseat."

Matt Chylak likes this.
  5. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

All three belong in the conversation. I'd throw in Cowgirls, Go Tell Everybody, 45, Black Betty, and Blood Loss as well.

Craig Manning likes this.
  6. Craig Manning

"Blood Loss" is definitely up there. That song and one of "Dark Places" or "The '59 Sound" would round out my Fallon top five.

CarpetElf likes this.
  7. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Yeah, Dark Places too. Damn haha. That's a hard list to make.

8. junkmanserenade

Where are your friends tonight?

"Have Mercy" is near the top of my list.

RJ Knorr and electro haikus like this.
  9. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

God dammit I forgot that one too.

10. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Picked up a used copy of Get Hurt on vinyl today for $10

11. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Want more new music from these guys when the time is right

12. Craig Manning

That was maybe my third favorite on Get Hurt when the album came out, but it's definitely the one that's stayed with me the most from that album.

13. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Not having Have Mercy run into Rollin' and Tumblin' to open that album still bothers me.

14. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

As much as I love Painkillers, I can't lie - my heart skips a beat whenever this thread gets bumped back up because I think there has been some news or announcement about these guys putting out another album.

I have to throw my hat in the ring and say that Mae is the best song that Brian Fallon has ever written, but it's not easy because the guy has written so many amazing songs. I put Sugar and Have Mercy right up there too. Also, the original version of Biloxi Parish they played live, all of Sink or Swim, all of The '59 Sound, the MATZ version of Long Drives, Blue Dahlia, the rest of Elsie, She Loves You... Looking back on my favorites, it is becoming clear how much of a Brian Fallon / TGA fan-boy I am, but also that I really love it when he/they branch out their sound a little bit.

The one hang-up I have with albums like Elsie and Painkillers is that they just don't sound that different from Gaslight to me, and I honestly feel that, as amazing as both of those albums are, they would have been even better as Gaslight albums. Mae being so incredible only reinforces this to me. I realize there are all sorts of dynamics and relationships at play there and there could literally be hundreds of reasons why he/they chose to do things the way they did, but I can't lie - when I listen to those two albums or even MATZ the thought is always there in the back of my mind.

JRGComedy likes this.
  15. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

How do we feel about Underneath the Ground? I like it a lot, but I'm not in love with the drawn out ending or the lyrics where he thanks the listener.

16. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

Nowhere near enough people talking about "Bring It On" in their list of top Gaslight/Fallon songs.

17. Ben Lee

"Stay Vicious" is easily my favorite on Get Hurt.

I also think American Slang, in general, is their best album.

18. Craig Manning

I really like American Slang, but it also has none of my favorite Fallon songs so it's hard for me to call it their best.

19. Ben Lee

When it comes to Gaslight, that's where I go the most (and Get Hurt.)

When it comes to Fallon, it's easily Elsie. No questions asked.

devenstonow likes this.
  20. Craig Manning

It's probably the Fallon record I spin most on vinyl. It might be his most consistent album start to finish. All the songs are very good, it's just that none of them have ever jumped out at me quite like "Mae" or "The Backseat" or even "Open All Night" do.

Mister Lyrical likes this.
  21. devenstonow

Noobie

I was so glad that he was playing a ton of Elsie songs on his solo tour last year.

22. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

Oh man a top 5 Brian Fallon song list? That's almost impossible but my first reaction was this (in no order):

Mae
    Dark Places
    Blue Jeans & White T-shirts
    Here's Looking At You, Kid
    Open All Night

23. abw123

Trusted

I think time will be kind to both Handwritten and Get Hurt. Those are both great great albums, as is Painkillers. The man can do no wrong as far as I'm concerned.

Top 5 list is almost impossible but I'll try a top 10.

Not in order.

We Came To Dance
    Cowgirls
    Bring It On
    Boxer
    She Loves You
    Handwritten
    Here Comes My Man
    Dark Places
    Selected Poems
    Smoke

24. CarpetElf Jan 30, 2017
    (Last edited: Jan 30, 2017)
    CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

The '59 Sound is still my favorite. American Slang is weird. There aren't any bad songs on the album but there aren't any of his best either. Handwritten has a lot of his best stuff but it also has stuff like

Blue Jeans & White T-Shirts
    Great Expectations
    Even Cowgirls Get the Blues
    The Backseat
    Blue Dahlia
    Dark Places
    Have Mercy
    Go Tell Everybody
    Blood Loss
    Open All Night

Something like that. It's damn hard for me to narrow it down haha. I really want to include 1930 and Mae haha.

25. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

I fucking love American Slang. I forgot how good it was until the other day when I spun my record

Michael Schmidt likes this.