Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Gaslight Anthem Band • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Ben Lee

I drink coffee and dad my kids Supporter

Yeah I think it's totally preference. Take Adam from TBS for example. People HATE his voice, and by all technical standards, he's a terrible singer. But I love it.

Obviously he's not as good as Brian Fallon, but that's just one of the more jarring examples.

2. Barresi

Spooky Space Kook Supporter

Just want to say how good this song is live and how upsetting it is that it will probably never be played by them again.

3. Ben Lee

Why will it never be played live again?

4. Michael Schmidt Jun 14, 2016
    (Last edited: Jun 14, 2016)
    Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Gaslight seems like a band that would do discography shows at some point in a few cities to celebrate the band. I refuse to believe we've seen the last of Gaslight. The only plausible reason this song won't be played again is just because of the number of songs they have, plus any future material down the road.

It is quite the numbers crunch imo in coming up with a good set that pleases most fans. Get Hurt would be the album I trim the most from, but that's just me.

5. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

Brian has said that he has a really hard time playing the guitar for it while singing simultaneously, unfortunately.

6. Barresi Jun 14, 2016
    (Last edited: Jun 14, 2016)
    Barresi

Plus, Brian mentioned in an interview that they have a small list of songs they as a band have collectively agreed not to play anymore. Pretty sure this and "Bring It On" are on there, given their lack of presence in any setlists over the past few years.

Edit: here's the direct quote, from Dimestore Saints.

7. Michael Schmidt

Bring It On is one of their best songs. That would be a real bummer if that was on the no fly list. Who knows, maybe they will feel different when they return. Probably safe to say they have all changed since those days of listing songs they don't want to play.

8. Shrek

They brought "Bring It On" back into rotation for their Australian tour the winter before they disbanded, if I recall correctly. We Did It When We Were Young & Desire are the only two pre-Get Hurt tracks I haven't seen live, which is funny because We Did It is a top 10 Gaslight song for me, and Desire is easily my least favorite.

EDIT: I was wrong, they haven't played Bring It On since 2011. I saw them a few times during the American Slang tour cycle and it was a staple then. Bummer.

9. Shrek

Also, I've said it a hundred times, but the b-sides to Get Hurt are god tier. Seriously. The fact that Halloween, Sweet Morphine, and Have Mercy are Gaslight's "didn't make the cut" quality speaks volumes about their catalog.

10. Barresi

I still think they should have been on Get Hurt, though. There's a handful of songs you could replace with any of those three and it would have been a much stronger album.

And I love Mama's Boys but I don't think it meshes as strongly as the others do.

11. ugman_2000

Trusted Prestigious

I was just reminiscing about when I first saw Gaslight play their own show and I looked up their setlist. My god what a setlist this was (it was the week 59 sound dropped).

The Gaslight Anthem Setlist at ULU, London

12. vidiviciveni

Trusted

Just came here to say that "45" is my fucking jam. I've been following Gaslight casually since 08 but Brian Fallon has really evolved into a top tier artist

13. Shrek

14. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

Hated that article back then and I hate it now. It's like he formed his opinion on the entire bands catalog off of a snippet of "45"

15. CellarGhosts

Trusted Prestigious

Well, it was published on Vice, so it stands to reason it's lazy, uninformed garbage.

Craig Manning likes this.
  16. Barresi

17. Michael Schmidt

In the latest episode of Going Off Track w/ guest Vinnie Caruana and Benny from Gaslight co-hosting, Benny talks about Gaslight a little bit when Vinnie brings it up. The way he talks about it, I definitely think there will be more Gaslight down the road.

RJ Knorr and CarpetElf like this.
  18. CellarGhosts

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah, my cousin is Gaslight's guitar tech (humblebrag) and I talked to him about the same thing the other day. He definitely seems to think they'll return at some point. I'm not worried.

19. Ben Lee

After getting Handwritten/Get Hurt, it'll be really interesting to see if they go back to that 59 Sound/American Slang vibe.

20. Michael Schmidt

I won't say the next Gaslight material will be them going back to copy the '59 Sound, but I do think it will have more of a punk influence/sound throughout. Brian was trending lyrically more to a singer/songwriter style and now he has that in his solo project. He has also mentioned that on the last two Gaslight albums that he wanted to be the biggest rock band, but now he is more content with his career and just wants to write and play music he likes. Brian is no longer searching for something in his writing and is in a liberating place.

Per Benny, Brian is a focused songwriter that is constantly working on new material. I think that was part of the problem with Get Hurt is that Brian was so focused on writing a "different" record and becoming the biggest band possible that the record lost some of the things that make their previous records cohesive and overall work. With Alex and Ian playing with Brian, they are able to dabble in new types of music. Benny is doing a hardcore project. And Alex is doing the barber thing and running a restaurant. When they come back, I think it will be because they all want to make punk rock with other influences again.

21. Jack Wilmott

Self-described freestyle wizard poet.

I am personally more into Handwritten and AS than 59 Sound.

They just seen to be more their own band on their 2.

I don't think we've seen the last for sure but Brian may struggle to juggle with how well hi solo stuff is going.

I'd kinda hope Brian will get the itch and record an insane punk album just for levity.

Whatever/whenever they do it'll probably be solid as Fallon has always been prolific and seems to grow as a songwriter every year.

JRGComedy likes this.
  22. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Listening to Get Hurt right now; it's fucking perfect.

When I hit the wall, wrecked from it all
    You put flowers down on the cold ground
    And cry me a river

23. Michael Qualiano

mikeq

Alex Levine cuts my hair (when they aren't touring he cuts hair and owns a sub shop in Red Bank) and he says that Gaslight will be back at some point

Barresi likes this.
  24. Michael Schmidt

That's cool he is your barber! I know on some of their tours he would cut some fans hair before certain shows. I would think once Brian, Alex, and Ian are done doing the solo cycle they will reconvene and see if it feels right. Benny makes too many subtle hints on Going Off Track that I feel like he will be ready as well.

25. Michael Qualiano

mikeq

Literally right down the road from where I live. He's the nicest guy. And he gives an awesome cut! I try not to ask him too much about the band but it is hard not to lol