Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Gaslight Anthem Band • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

I haven't been able to get through The '59 Sound from front to back in a while. Might try and tackle that this week.

2. Collins

Trusted

Which tracks do you think drag it down?

3. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

Oh no I didn't mean it like that! It's a very emotional record for me. "Here's Looking At You, Kid" always gets me teary

amorningofsleep and Jason Tate like this.
  4. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Definitely a top 5 Gaslight song for me. Rob Thomas did a good cover on a Matchbox tour a few years ago. The original is still better, but it was neat to see someone recognize a good song.

5. Collins

Trusted

Oh my bad! Yeah, that song is one of my favorites. It was awesome when they used to close shows with that and Backseat back to back.

6. CellarGhosts

Trusted Prestigious

"Helter Skeleton" came on the radio at work last night. Today it was "Get Hurt". Then a few days ago it was "Rollin' and Tumblin'"

So yeah, I like my job. Ha.

7. Paul Beaumont

A rant? What did he say?

8. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

It's mostly based around his insecurity of not being satisfied/validated. He got everything and more that he wanted in the band, yet he wanted to stop and be home with his wife and child. However, now that he's home, he misses playing with his friends and creating new music. As he starts to miss Gaslight he realizes what he has at home, the shitty times of being stuck somewhere in middle of America, and the difficulties of creating a personality outside of the band's music, if they know you at all.

Here's the link: Benny & Jonah

Benny starts ranting on other topics a little after an hour. The Gaslight stuff is a little after an hour and a half.

9. Whatjuliansaid

News on once the clouds are gone. Prestigious

image.jpeg

Iago likes this.
  10. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Wonder when the next Gaslight record will be. I really loved Handwritten and Get Hurt, but I wasn't feeling Painkillers at all

11. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

It might not "be" at all. At very least, probably going to be awhile.

12. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

While I think "Get Hurt" might be my least favorite album of theirs, I do still really enjoy it. And the song "Dark Places" is one of my favorite Gaslight songs.

13. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

Honestly, with the depth and quality of their existing catalog, I would be ok with never getting a full fledged, proper Gaslight album. I would love 100 more, but if I had to pick between a record and them returning to play shows, I'd pick shows 100%. Thing is, they're not that band, that's part of why they're on a hiatus in the first place.

I would love if they got together once a year and churned out a couple of tracks, similar to the 45 club, and maybe played some holiday shows. I just want their live show back in my life.

14. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

Easily in my top 5 bands of all-time.

15. CellarGhosts

Trusted Prestigious

Eh, I want full albums. And live shows. Ha.

16. Noradrenaline Apr 23, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 23, 2016)
    Noradrenaline

Regular

I'm pretty new to The Gaslight Anthem so this might have been discussed before. Anyway, I really like the sound of 'The 59 Sound-album but what bothers me is that Brian sounds slightly out of tune throughout the whole album. Is anybody else hearing this? I can't fully enjoy the album because of it, which is a shame.

Edit: "out of tune", not "out of key".

17. Ben Lee

I drink coffee and dad my kids Supporter

That's called character.

18. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Being consistently out of tune is character? Haven't heard that one before.

19. Noradrenaline

Regular

Well, I disagree. Still, really enjoying the album.

It's a shame I only got to see them once (Download 2013) before the hiatus and back then I didn't know any of their songs except The '59 Sound and "45".

20. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

We're able to determine what key someone should be in while recording original material that they wrote themselves? THAT'S one I haven't heard before.

21. Ben Lee

Some of the best song writers were known to not be that good of a voice. Neil Young and Dylan come to mind right away.

I never really paid much attention to if they sang out of key or not, just that they evoked a feeling from me. I always preferred it, rather than drop/raise it an octave in the studio. I think it always added a certain level of character to the songs.

22. Ben Lee

I'm really bummed I've never seen them. Hoping that changes if they get back together. I did see Brian on this solo tour though and it was great!

23. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

He's definitely not out of key. Like, by definition, he is not singing out of tune. You're probably getting tripped up by the slap-back effect on the vocals.

Ben Lee likes this.
  24. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I mean, it's pretty easy to tell what key a song is in just by the guitar...

25. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I guess I can see it more for "emo" type bands, where that's more typical for the style. Personally, it bothers me and that's a big reason I can't get into many of those bands. I'm not even talking about this record specifically though (and haven't listened to it enough to recall what the other user was talking about), just that I agree that kind of thing can make some albums difficult to listen to.