Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Gaslight Anthem Band • Page 180

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

I traveled to Chicago for it from Michigan. Worth the 5 hour drive easily.

2. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

Date just didn't work out to kill 2 days for it. Wanted to lol.

3. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Glad that didn’t happen. Ironically though, Brian is solo now, and not one member from TGA is in his band (although Ian’s sort of been a part of things for a while in a unique capacity with Brian projects).

4. EntryLevelTank

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

It's really good, but I don't hear nearly as much TGA as everyone else. I get way more of the Dave Hause comparisons and I also think a little Bayside.

5. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

I reaaallly liked the Cold Years album on first listen, but, now i can't tell if i love his voice or hate it. lol

6. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

his voice feels way too nice and polished for the music theyre trying to make, but every now and then he can sound a bit like Laura Jane so it kinda works in those spots

CarpetElf likes this.
  7. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Yeah, I didn't get the Gaslight comparisons

8. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

I believe that they believe they'll never be back together. But we live in a world of reboots and reunions...in the last 5 years alone we've gotten albums from all sorts of long thought dead acts...L7, the Chicks, Slowdive, American Football, Glassjaw etc. And it's only been 6 years for them. I'm not completely ruling anything out until one of them dies.

9. Yeah I’d put a lot of money on them getting together for some shows again someday even if they don’t have any plans to at this moment (which I don’t believe they do)

And if any of you wanna make an actual bet I’d be happy to, then I could use the winnings to buy tickets to all the shows ;)

10. Barresi

Spooky Space Kook Supporter

Couldn’t get into that Cold Years album at all. Found the vocals on that first song absolutely grating.

11. abw123

Trusted

The Mercy Union album is great. Anyone who likes Gaslight should check it out.

WashedOut likes this.
  12. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

I really like the Cold Years album, I do hear Gaslight influence in there for sure. I think he sounds a lot like Dave Hause at times as well

ZooZooChaCha and Pepetito like this.
  13. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I think Brian’s lyrics were another key element that made me listen to his music endlessly. I am not always sure that these “sound like Gaslight Anthem” bands have that. Maybe some do. I am not trying to put down these other projects though. Also, when I listened to Mercy Union I just think to myself I wish it was Gaslight instead. Again, nothing against any of those guys. Just selfishly prefer Benny, Brian, Alex and Alex combination.

Barresi and Pepetito like this.
  14. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

I think they sound just like Banquets

15. abw123

Trusted

I checked out the Cold Years band you guys were talking about. Not sure I totally hear the Gaslight comps, other than in the drums, but I really liked it. Worth checking out.

16. abw123

Trusted

Yeah I felt this too. In the moments where his voice gets really gritty I think it fits the music more then when he tries to go with the "pretty" voice for lack of a better descriptor

Sean Murphy likes this.
  17. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

18. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

That's cool but $20 for an at home acoustic show seems...high. At least compared to the other live streams I've seen.

AshlandATeam likes this.
  19. AshlandATeam

Trusted

I think it’s actually cheaper than his last one (which was $25? Maybe?). I get it, in that no one can tour. But I’ve had a hard time justifying any of the live-streams, given that you’re paying money to watch someone on a computer that disappears and you don’t keep it. I’ve tried to support artists this year by buying merch and stuff, but this just hasn’t done it for me with anyone.

20. Barresi

Spooky Space Kook Supporter

Our 6th Man: Brian Fallon! — Better Yet

Brian on any potential future Gaslight: "I mean there's....probably...a lot of money for there to be a new Gaslight record but...I...it's...it would be terrible...because I know that...it...I...whenever I would sit down to think about that...all I can see is 'post-Load Metallica'..."

So just in case there was any glimmer of hope in any of you...

21. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

lets the past die

22. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

I'm not holding my breath waiting. But I'm also not willing to say it'll never happen again. Think it would just take Brian being in the right headspace and writing the right batch of songs, of a certain quality, that "feel" Gaslight-appropriate.

The odds are against it. But it's definitely a possibility, however minuscule that possibility might be.

Which I'm fine with. I'd rather nothing than a mediocre cash-in reunion record. I've heard plenty of those this past decade.

beachdude, .K. and SamLevi11 like this.
  23. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Sleepwalkers definitely had some American Slang to it. I enjoyed every style Brian has done so far and I hope he doesn’t give up doing some of those high energy songs and keeps them in his repertoire, no matter what project

As for Gaslight, I do think it’d be cool for them to do a song again at some point for the right occasion or motivation. If they had done something for the ‘59 Sound Tour as a single or just for fun I’m sure it’d be better than Brian thinks. It’d probably a seller for a charity compilation or something.

But really as long as he keeps making music. I love Gaslight, The Horrible Crowes and his solo stuff.

alkalinexandy likes this.
  24. AP_Punk

achin' to be Prestigious

At this point I see Gaslight in the same state as Dillinger Four - no rush to ever make new music and who knows when/if that'll ever happen and I've accepted that.

With that said, I want a new D4 record before a new Gaslight one. Totally loving what Fallon's doing on his own currently.

25. AP_Punk

achin' to be Prestigious

Also, apparently the host of This Was The Scene podcast released a statement or something on their Patreon in response to Brendan and Brian talking about Lanemeyer in that one Road to the Skeleton Coast podcast episode. It's a cool podcast but I haven't fully committed to it enough for the Patreon, especially since I'm signed up to quite a few already.

Anyway, I thought Brendan and Brian's little convo about Lanemeyer was pretty innocuous but I'm curious to hear what Mike had to say about it.

alkalinexandy likes this.