Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Gaslight Anthem Band • Page 176

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I would always love the idea of TGA getting back together and putting out new music if that was what they wanted to do, but I am absolutely enjoying Brian Fallon's solo albums so far. I cannot wait to hear what he's cooked up with Peter Katis.

.K. likes this.
  2. SamLevi11 Nov 8, 2019
    (Last edited: Nov 8, 2019)
    SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Any reason, or you just don't like them? Cause gross is a weirdly strong term unless there is an actual reason beyond that.

3. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah, I'd only want them back together if it felt right for them. It was just wishful thinking.

4. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I’d love to hear something new from Gaslight instead of hearing about a tour. Obviously an album would be great, but a single, cover or Ep would be so Roth if everyone could enjoy for a long time.

5. Michael Qualiano

mikeq

As much as I love Brian and his solo work, I would take a new Gaslight record over a new solo record...and it's not even close.

SamLevi11 and CAC3 like this.
  6. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I want both because I am greedy.

Sleepwalkers is fantastic and so full band it could be a Gaslight record sort of. Painkillers had portions of that too. I’d love to hear a new Gaslight song just to hear the difference.

7. abw123

Trusted

In a perfect world he would continue to put out a ton of material in both iterations, like Phil Collins used to do with his solo stuff and Genesis.

I don't see that happening, but it would be a terrific way to continue to play both types of music and tour solo as well as with TGA and never get bored

.K. likes this.
  8. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

If TGA would continue down the path that they started with Get Hurt, I think I'd rather see Brian stick with the solo stuff.

9. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I really like Get Hurt. The theme or tone of the album is more negative because that’s where Brian seemed to to be at personally, as well as other members and certain points in their personal lives.

Brian seems to be in a good place again, and I hope the rest are the guys are doing great as well. I feel like a new Gaslight album would be more in the range of previous work like a Handwritten.

CAC3 likes this.
  10. MidDave

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

I'm good. I'd rather Brian and the gang just do what they want. If they get the itch to do a TGA album fun, but i'm happy with how my relationship with that band ended, with the 59 sound one last time.

jpmalone4 and Joe4th like this.
  11. abw123

Trusted

Get Hurt is a terrific album

Joe4th and .K. like this.
  12. abw123

Trusted

Everyone's opinion is valid, and I understand many don't like Get Hurt. I can agree to put it 5th of their 5 albums but I still LOVE IT. Not like........LOVE

BF can do no wrong.

It's long with 16 songs, and the bonus tracks don't totally fit the main album (and maybe would sound better on Painkillers, some of them), but it's a very very good collection of songs. If I was to nitpick, I would cut 2-3 of the songs I like less, but that's a very minor quibble.

I think Get Hurt is the victim of how fucking GREAT the previous albums were.

I've said this before, if Get Hurt came out today and was by some other band, that would be my new favorite band......that's how much I like it........and yet within the TGA ouevre, this is their worst album. That is a stunning fact, for me.

Selected Poems and Red Violins are highly underrated by TGA fans in my opinion.

Underneath the Ground is very different and very great.

Dark Places is so so so terrific that it elevates the whole album.

The bonus tracks, especially Have Mercy, are awesome

Strangely the songs I don't love are the ones others do - not a fan of Stay Vicious at all, and Stray Paper just bores me.

Neither are bad but those would be my cuts, those and Halloween, just because Halloween was a song we already had previously, so it never really fit for me on the album, it felt tacked on

Donnie Ruth and .K. like this.
  13. abw123

Trusted

Hot take:
    Like, Handwritten is better........I agree.......but it's not THAT MUCH better than Get Hurt. Not miles ahead. In my opinion.

14. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Get Hurt is a beautiful, dark, messy, strange beast and I fucking love it.

I don't really separate the bonus tracks from the actual album in my mind either, as I honestly feel "Have Mercy" is a Top 3 TGA/BF song, and "Sweet Morphine" is way up there as well, if not quite so high.

.K. likes this.
  15. abw123

Trusted

With other bands I tend to separate bonus tracks into a B-Sides folder, but with TGA, the bonus tracks are just too good and they truly belong quality-wise, so I leave them. Aside from the covers on Handwritten, I moved those.....

She Loves You is the best example, that song (to me) is part of the fabric of that album, and one of the best songs. Have Mercy, same deal.

Brother Beck likes this.
  16. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

I went from oh hell yeah I support this Get Hurt positivity in your first post to YOU BETTER WATCH IT with your second post lol

Brother Beck likes this.
  17. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I completely agree with you here about "She Loves You" and "Have Mercy" - they are both unquestionably part of the fabric of their respective albums. I'll go a step further though and throw "Blue Dahlia" in there as well.

18. abw123

Trusted

Funny!

19. abw123

Trusted

Gotcha, but I kept all of them, is my point, aside from the covers. Including all 4 on Get Hurt, and Blue Dahlia and even Teenage Rebellion

Brother Beck likes this.
  20. CAC3

Dog

Handwritten is my favorite TGA album.

Donnie Ruth likes this.
  21. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

Get Hurt has some of my favorite TGA songs. Underneath the Ground is so atmospheric and dark.

.K. likes this.
  22. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

For me personally, TGA don't have a best or worst album, they just have 5 incredible albums. Which one I consider their best is a very fluid thing and completely depends on what type of mood I am in that day/week/month, or what else I am doing when I am listening. Also, whenever I finish listening to a Gaslight album in full I will swear that one is their best and my favorite.

Gun to my head, if you made me pick which one I would say is 5th, at this very moment I'd go with American Slang, not Get Hurt.

23. abw123

Trusted

All respect to all opinions but OH NO !!

American Slang is arguably #1 for me. Hard to put anything ahead of '59, but Slang is DAMN CLOSE for me and on any given day I might say it's my favorite. The other 3 are behind '59 and Slang for me.

Rankings get really hard when you add in the solo stuff to the mix.

Brother Beck likes this.
  24. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

going for getting banned from this site but: get hurt is great, and handwritten is my least fav gaslight release by a long shot. feels like the band on autopilot for the most part. get hurt feels like a reaction to that, with them branching out into some weird directions (not all of which work tbf) and experimenting in ways they hadn't really done before. feels closest to American slang to me in that regard which is my fav by them

Joe4th likes this.
  25. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Handwritten is my favorite TGA album

SamLevi11 and Donnie Ruth like this.