Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Gaslight Anthem Band • Page 171

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Oh man, I could never do Dylan as a desert island anything. I love him, but in small doses. His voice is not something I can ever spend a ton of time with at once.

Jason Tate likes this.
  2. MidDave

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

Mine is Bruce or Brian lol.

Pepetito likes this.
  3. Craig Manning

I'd have to Sophie's Choice between Bruce and Butch.

4. abw123

Trusted

Butch......Walker?

Have never listened to his solo stuff, do I need to do that?

5. Craig Manning

Yes and yes. Probably start with Stay Gold, the record he made right after working with Brian.

6. abw123

Trusted

Only Butch I ever listened to was that alt-band he had back in the early 00's, was it Marvelous 3 ?

7. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Oh boy you have an amazing journey ahead of you

Craig Manning and smoke4thecaper like this.
  8. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

You must now revolve your schedule around listening to all of Butch’s solo stuff. I agree with Craig, and if you like Stay Gold, hit up The Spade after that. But they all have different flavors and Butch is wonderful at making each record he makes something a little different yet familiar.

If you’re feeling extra frisky, you can dig deep and listen to 1969’s “Maya,” a short-lived band he created ten years ago. You have a fun listening journey ahead of you.

Craig Manning likes this.
  9. abw123

Trusted

Thanks, who is Butch comparable to sound-wise?

10. smoke4thecaper

That’s tough to answer. Every album is slightly different with different influencers. I feel like Craig is a better reference to answer that.

11. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

Stay Gold is great. Only Butch album I've got into though

12. smoke4thecaper

Letters, The Spade, Sycamore Meadows, Stay Gold are all top tier. Rise & Fall... and I Liked You Better... are worth a listen if you fall head over heels for the first four mentioned.

Afraid of Ghosts, for me anyway, is an album strictly reserved for fall/winter months; just doesn’t fly in the summer.

First album I got into was Left of Self Centered, which is basically another Marvelous 3 album, but there are certainly a few stellar gems on there. But I’m pretty biased, obv.

Jdaniels likes this.
  13. Craig Manning

Oh man. I'm excited for you. Yeah, it was Marvelous 3.

He really runs the range, but I feel like if you enjoy Brian, you'll enjoy Butch. They have a lot of the same influences. Stay Gold is very Bruce, for instance. Tom Petty is a big influence. My favorite record of his, Letters, leans more power pop. He released a record in 2006 that was a complete love letter to Bowie.

smoke4thecaper likes this.
  14. smoke4thecaper

Peachtree Battles is also top tier. But it’s an EP, so I forgot to mention it. The songs are so strong on that one though.

JRGComedy likes this.
  15. Craig Manning

Yeah, Afraid of Ghosts is a colder weather record, that's for sure. It's incredible in the right mood, though. I think I like The Rise and Fall more than you, but can't disagree with anything you said otherwise!

smoke4thecaper likes this.
  16. smoke4thecaper

Rise & Fall prob rounds out my top five, somewhere in the middle of his discography. It gets kind of lost in the shuffle due to the fact he released it between Letters and Sycamore, which are just flat-out amazing albums. It isn’t Butch’s fault that he’s so prolific, even good to great albums get pushed down the list a little, ha.

17. abw123

Trusted

Thanks! I will check it out very soon.

PS - you guys may all know this but anyone who loves Brian and hasn't checked out Dave Hause, you are missing out.......in terms of "similar artists" he may have the most in common with Brian of any I've found.

18. Jake W

I should try his other albums again, as I do really love Stay Gold

19. Jake W

Dave Hause is great

20. abw123

Trusted

My favorite "find" of the past few years........and his Loved Ones stuff is greatness too

Jake W likes this.
  21. smoke4thecaper

Dave Hause is making his mark and catching up to Butch in terms of continually releasing high quality records. I was such a big fan of both Marvelous 3 and the Loved Ones, so seeing both Butch and Dave excelling in each of their solo careers is fucking rad as hell.

22. smoke4thecaper

And obviously I share that same sentiment regarding Brian, too. We share the same last name, so we’re basically blood brothers. Put Butch, Brian and Dave on a bill together, and I am fucking there in a heartbeat.

23. abw123

Trusted

Here's one more for you guys who like Hause - anyone checked out Mercy Union yet? Benny from Gaslight is the drummer too (bonus).

Really good album, reminds me of both Hause and TGA. The singer (Jared Hart) used to be in The Scandals (from NJ) and has a kickass solo album too.

smoke4thecaper and Jake W like this.
  24. smoke4thecaper

For sure, “The Quarry” gave me huge early Gaslight vibes, and prob more early solo Dave than the Loved Ones.

I saw them open for Laura Jane Grace, and they sounded really great. I could see them fill that giant Gaslight Anthem void.

25. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

this is so true & you just blew my mind
    did he open for the 59 sound anniversary tour or am I making that up?

Craig Manning likes this.