Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Gaslight Anthem Band • Page 169

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

Rosemary is the best song on Painkillers

Pepetito likes this.
  2. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I can't help but shout-sing the lyrics along with "Rosemary" every time it comes on! Glockenspiels are so badass!

Pepetito likes this.
  3. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

This is also something important of note:

Brian’s band names are all very cool.

.K. likes this.
  4. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I guess I've never thought of those two ("Blood Loss" and "Cherry Blossoms") as that similar. "Cherry Blossoms" always struck me as more desolate and defeated, while "Blood Loss" seems super resilient. Also, the line "If I drove straight off this bridge, only God and my baby would know" is one of my favorite Brian lyrics ever.

5. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Yeah not sure why but I've always compared the two. Probably because both start quiet then Brian lets loose. I enjoy both songs but Blood Loss a lot more, it was my favourite (non TGA) song of his until Etta James

6. ZooZooChaCha

Trusted Supporter

8 is from the one Cincinnati Railtie album.

10 is from some quick single he did with some band called Communication Redlight.

Brother Beck likes this.
  7. JBoch

Trusted Supporter

Blood Loss is a top tier BF song, even including Gaslight songs

Steeeve Perry and ezmo311 like this.
  8. eagles1139

Regular

The songwriting on Elsie is incredible. It's a simple line but "And lonely, my sister, could not describe all the good things gone wrong" always stopped me in my tracks.

Also for the record the best opening line Brian has ever written is:
    "I been known to wear a fine black suit and a murder of a tie, I got miles on my shoes that your brothers can't buy."

(okay, it's tied with "Mary, this station is playing every sad song, I remember like we were alive.")

JBoch, Craig Manning and ezmo311 like this.
  9. eagles1139

Regular

Goodnight Irene is one of the best non-TGA songs and this is Brian's best acoustic performance:

Donnie Ruth likes this.
  10. abw123

Trusted

Replying to the last few pages:

1) Georgia is a total GEM, not as high on Low Love, and Georgia with good production would have been great on the album. The Georgia EP - I'm glad to have it for sure - the production leaves a lot to be desired. Not sure those versions of Tin Pan Alley and Blues Mary are really much better than the demos we had. Really like both tunes though.

2) Best 10 non TGA?
    I will go with (not in order)

Ladykiller
    Crush
    Black Betty
    Among Other Foolish Things
    Smoke
    Open All Night
    Forget Me Not
    Neptune
    Watson
    See You On the Other Side

Could easily list 10 more as honorable mention that are "right there"

I think both solo albums are near perfect. Elsie is a little more hit and miss for me than you guys, but it's very good too.

11. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

From a pure songwriting perspective, I think it’s his best album. It conjures up a totally unique world for itself.

eagles1139 likes this.
  12. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

This conversation has made me realize that I haven't listened to the whole album Elsie in a long time. I'm fixing that this afternoon on my ride into Boston.

13. MidDave

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

I wish I could tell you how hard my heart broke when i found out gaslight rode a fever out of AUSTIN and not BOSTON lol.

Brother Beck likes this.
  14. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

You going to the game??

Brother Beck likes this.
  15. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

SAME HERE!!!

No, I wish! I work 2nd shift in the city.

16. My favorite non-TGA Fallon track has gotta be I Witnessed A Crime

troyplaysbass likes this.
  17. There are a couple on the solo albums that I probably like more, but that's definitely my favorite on Elsie.

ECV likes this.
  18. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Elsie is so damn good. The only negative I can say about it is that I am not crazy about how "I Believe Jesus Brought Us Together" sounds on the album. I vastly prefer the live cut on the Live At The Troubadour album where you can tell people are playing all of the instruments.

19. Was listening to Elsie the other day in the car and I kind of still can’t believe how good it is. The fact that Fallon out American Slang, Elise, and Handwritten in 3 consecutive years is hard to wrap my head around considering the quality of all three.

ctschwink, imthesheriff, .K. and 3 others like this.
  20. abw123

Trusted

Yes, that song and Cherry Blossoms are the 2 I don't care for, just too sparse for me melodically.

21. RobJGolde

Wrecked 'em? Damn near killed 'em!

I mean, he was already on his way to becoming a legend once American Slang came out, but this whole stretch truly sealed the deal

22. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

My honest opinion is that Brian Fallon's streak started with Sink or Swim and is still going strong 8 full albums later, and 11 releases later if I get to count EPs.

.K. likes this.
  23. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

It’s amazing the variety of music he’s been a part of, with feeling like he’s just trying to jump on a trend.

Everything from his early stuff to as recent as Painkillers feels so genuine. I’m really excited for new music, and it’s nice to have a conversation with variety of opinions without someone trying to sabatoge it.

I think a Brian/Crowes/Gaslight top 10 would be impossible for me to settle on.

Brother Beck likes this.
  24. MidDave

God damn the belt at the end of Watson. So good.

25. MidDave

I tried doing an “essential” gaslight playlist and it’s so god damn hard

.K. likes this.