Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Gaslight Anthem Band • Page 167

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. EntryLevelTank

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

That whole EP is a gem

ECV and Brother Beck like this.
  2. RobJGolde

Wrecked 'em? Damn near killed 'em!

Speaking my motherfucking language

Donnie Ruth likes this.
  3. RobJGolde

That’s an emotional rollercoaster of a back-half, and I’m here for it

Brother Beck likes this.
  4. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

I'd almost forgotten how brilliant Honey Magnolia is

5. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Smh at cutting “Steve McQueen” and “Long Drives.”

6. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Sugar
    Ladykiller
    Crush
    Blood loss
    Nobody Wins
    Honey Magnolia
    Etta James
    Neptune
    Watson
    See You on the Other Side

My ultimate 10-song Fallon album (in tracklist order, non TGA)

7. Craig Manning

This is super close to mine. I'd swap "Crush" for "Behold the Hurricane" and "See You on the Other Side" for "Open All Night." Might try to find room for "Cherry Blossoms" too. But otherwise.

ECV likes this.
  8. EntryLevelTank

Blood Loss may be the firmest must-have song I have on any Brian Fallon playlist. That song is locked in at #1 for me.

xmilesross and Donnie Ruth like this.
  9. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

"Steve McQueen" is a good song, I just think "Low Love" is a much, much, much better one. I never came around on the Painkillers version of "Long Drives". The more time went on the more I just went back to the MATZ arrangement of it.

10. Definitely listening to Painkillers today thanks to this thread lol

Brother Beck and Jake W like this.
  11. Craig Manning

I like the MATZ version better too, but if we're putting theoretical Butch-produced versions of "Low Love" and "Georgia" on there, I think we can put the Molly "Long Drives" on there. I have a soft spot for "Steve McQueen" after seeing it live on the Painkillers tour. There was a big sing-along during that one that made it sound a lot more epic than it is on the album.

Brother Beck likes this.
  12. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

MATZ version of Long Drives is so, so good. I don't mind the Painkiller's version, however, I enjoy the MATZ version much more.

MATZ version of Long Drives (produced by Butch) with Georgia produced by Butch would certainly be top tier level tracks.

.K. and Brother Beck like this.
  13. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

Hard to say. Just never jived with it since the first time I heard it.

14. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

How does one buy this

15. Craig Manning

While we're at it, can we get Butch-produced versions of the Get Hurt b-sides?

Donnie Ruth likes this.
  16. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

That wouldn't crack my top 10.

17. EntryLevelTank

I had a really weird powerful moment with that song once and it's stuck forever now.

18. eagles1139

Regular

If Georgia was given a proper big studio recording, it would be a top 5 BF song for me. Not that I think the recording is bad or anything, but that chorus is HUGE and I'd love if it had been a proper song on Painkillers. As it stands it's still one of my favorite BF/Gaslight B-sides.

Brother Beck and Donnie Ruth like this.
  19. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

I drove to Vermont to see him a couple years ago and he played Georgia at that show. It sounded great but unfortunately I think I was the only person who knew it. I definitely agree with you, it had a lot of potential.

Brother Beck likes this.
  20. myawrld

Regular

This song still shocks me to this day by how good it is.

RobJGolde likes this.
  21. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I think it's so odd that they didn't record "Georgia" for Painkillers - aside from it just being an awesome song, Butch Walker is a Georgia native! The recording of it on the Georgia EP is okay, but I don't think it quite lives up to the powerful potential the song has.

I don't know why my brain was perfectly fine making up a bunch of other weird hypotheticals but stopped short of BF & BW doing the MATZ arrangement of "Long Drives" in the studio. Just as songs, I think (the MATZ arrangement of) "Long Drives" is better than "Red Lights".

22. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I don't cut "Steve McQueen" cuz it's a bad song - I was trying to work within the 12-song framework and I just like "Low Love" more. It's a great song. I love 11 out of 12 tracks on Painkillers. The only one I don't love is the album version of "Long Drives", and I don't dislike it, it's still a good song. I just wouldn't say I love it. I like it alright. I also love the 3 songs on the Georgia EP and the reworked "The Blues, Mary". I don't care for his cover of "Digging in the Dirt", but out of that entire era, that's 15 songs that I love and one song that I just like. Or I screwed up my math haha. That's pretty awesome.

23. RobJGolde

“Helter Skeleton” is a pretty solid song to run to.

24. Zach

Trusted Supporter

Yeah Blood Loss is amazing. Impossible not to scream with the chorus

JBoch, Steeeve Perry and BKO5950505 like this.
  25. EntryLevelTank

I haven't been super shy about this but I'm not sure if I've said it in this thread. I had cancer not so long ago (Totally fine, not dying, all good!)

But yeah, it was a tough few months. I was sick, I didn't feel right, I couldn't taste things, I slept too much etc...but one day I was in the shower and blood loss was home and I was singing along and I just decided "fuck it" and tried to hit that chorus like Brian. I can't. No one can. Chills. But it felt so normal to be singing along to Gaslight/Brian and it was the first time in a while I felt like myself and the lines "i'll tell you when it's over, i'll tell you when you can leave....etc" hit me so hard. It was a wild moment for me and now i'm stuck with this song forever lol.