Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Gaslight Anthem Band • Page 164

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. CellarGhosts

Trusted Prestigious

pretty sure the Brian one is a re-painted Andy Dwyer haha

2. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

It definitely is hahaha

3. CellarGhosts

Trusted Prestigious

and the Benny one is a re-painted Lars Ulrich haha. Not sure about the Alex's.

4. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

5. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

Been listing to Get Hurt again recently and like it so much more than I remember.

6. ZooZooChaCha

Trusted Supporter

Have Mercy was one of those tracks I just forgot about - I really didn’t like Get Hurt when it came out to be honest.

Then as most songs I “re-discover” it popped up in a random Apple Music for you playlist and I’m like “holy shit, which Brian Fallon album is this off of!?!” Honesty thought it was going to be Horrible Crowes.

Since then I’ve grown to love Get Hurt - one of those albums that’s just aged very well.

7. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Get Hurt is great.

ECV, Argus and Brother Beck like this.
  8. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

I need to revisit Get Hurt

ECV and .K. like this.
  9. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

In recent years I have listened to Get Hurt far more than any of Gaslight's earlier albums, even though I do still love each and every one of them.

ECV and .K. like this.
  10. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Every August reminds me of that album. My friends and I get a house in Vermont every year; and one year it was on the day Get Hurt “leaked.” So it’s always my August soundtrack.

It definitely has more “misses” than most Gaslight albums, but I appreciate it and do revisit a lot.

Brother Beck and ECV like this.
  11. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

Have Mercy is so damn good.

BKO5950505, Brother Beck and ECV like this.
  12. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I’m a big Get Hurt fan.

My complaints are still the same since the day it came out. The transitions feel rough making the sequencing feel a strange in a few spots.

If you except that the lyrics are coming from a very different place in Brian’s life (there is less romantic nostalgia). Look at is as a break up album with a little band musical experimentation.

I like every song from the Get Hurt era. There are a lot of top notch Gaslight songs from this time frame. It just doesn’t feel like the album that should have been the last in the Gaslight discography.

Brian’s solo stuff is great too. We are such lucky fans. Every project and album I hold in very high regard.

Brother Beck and ECV like this.
  13. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

I like Get Hurt but don't love it as a whole. As previously mentioned I don't think it has quite the same consistency as their previous albums. That being said Have Mercy and Dark Places are 2 of my favorite Gaslight songs.

Brother Beck likes this.
  14. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

I think get hurt is great tbh

15. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

yeah, it doesn’t have the same flow/consistent sound through a record as previous albums.

If you divided up the songs from Get Hurt and dispersed them there are projects that some would fit better with.

Mama’s Boys and Sweet Morphine are Painkillers vibe.

Have Mercy and Underneath the Ground have a Horrible Crowe’s Vibe. You could include the same vibe as the This Is Where We Part cover.

Break Your Heart shares a lot of similarities to National Anthem.

The album Get Hurt isn’t as focused. I give them credit for trying new things. There are songs for different moods. It does t have the mandatory front to back listen that some albums require. I have listened to Get Hurt a lot a lot. I really do enjoy it more than most though.

16. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

Didn't help that the singles are the worst songs on Get Hurt

Pepetito likes this.
  17. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Rollin’ & Tumblin’ is great.

.K., Barresi and ECV like this.
  18. Underneath the Ground, Dark Places, and Have Mercy all have plays at being the band's best song. Halloween is maybe my favorite thing Brian has written. It's a weird album but it's my favorite of theirs.

19. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

I think my favourite Brian song is Etta James. Love the first 4 Gaslight albums, Elsie and both of his solo albums. Still can't get that into Get Hurt

ECV likes this.
  20. Etta James is such a damn good track

21. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

Get Hurt might have the best b-sides. That album was such a welcome surprise from them. I still remember being in New Jersey right after it came out, and driving from NJ into Philly with the title track on... one of those random, uneventful moments that I will always associate with that song.

imthesheriff and ECV like this.
  22. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I am LOVING all of this Get Hurt talk & appreciation. I just have to echo that it is not as cohesive as their other albums. I've struggled for 5 years to try and find a 12-track sequence with the songs from this era that works as an album and I have yet to do it. I have probably two versions that are my finalists. But I was just thinking to myself at work the other day that I should try all of the tracks as a messy pissed-off magnum opus. I do love a lot of the songs from this album right up there with the best of Gaslight / Brian Fallon.

.K. likes this.
  23. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I love the song Get Hurt, and it really summarized the content of the album. I’m a Rollin and Tumbling fan. Didn’t have to be a single but I was fine with it.

Brother Beck likes this.
  24. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I love Halloween too. I doesn’t get enough mention. The lyrics capture that feeling of isolation, and I think it’s top notch Brian too.

ECV likes this.
  25. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I enjoy "Rollin & Tumblin" a ton but it is far from my favorite on the album. I think it works as a single though as much as singles could work with a band like this in 2014. Get Hurt the song is a goddamned masterpiece though. Song still gives me chills.

I can remember when I first heard the Molly and the Zombies tracks being flabbergasted and honestly kind of annoyed that Brian Fallon was leaving them off of the upcoming album and pulling a "She Loves You" or a "Blue Dahlia" on them... How could you just toss off tracks that damn good again...?? Then the second that Get Hurt kicks off with pounding drums at the start of "Stay Vicious" I remember thinking to myself A) Holy shit, what is this?!?! & B) Ohhhh okay, I guess those songs don't really fit with what's going on here.

My favorite version of "Halloween" is still the fan release where they did some kind of post-production or mixing on the live recording of it. The version from Get Hurt doesn't quite stack up to that one even though it is really good.

RJ Knorr and .K. like this.