Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Gaslight Anthem Band • Page 161

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. RobJGolde

Wrecked 'em? Damn near killed 'em!

Sleepwalkers is fantastic through and through (aside from Proof of Life...that song’s just okay). Painkillers is good. Starts great, ends great, but there’s a 2 or 3 songs in the middle that just don’t do it for me.

CarpetElf likes this.
  2. ZooZooChaCha

Trusted Supporter

Painkillers sounded enough like a Gaslight record that I always wondered why it wasn’t just a Gaslight record - but I get it.

It takes on a whole other level once you attach that name to it. It’s like the latest John K Samson solo album Winter Wheat - it has The Weakerthans rhythm section playing on most of it. It sounds like a Weakerthans album. But once you calm it that it hasn’t to live up to a whole different level of expectations.

3. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

4. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Joe4th likes this.
  5. EntryLevelTank

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

Def buying the Decade Tee when I have enough cash. We sell so much VG gear at work it'll be awesome.

I thought you were a Lightning fan though...

6. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

both

7. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

I bought the decade shirt at the pop up shop. I like it. It’s comfy.

8. EntryLevelTank

I've been feeling kinda restless lately. Not sure why. But boy does '59 Sound hit me hard when I'm feeling this way.

9. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

Anybody listen to the Mercy Union album? It's a decent listen.

10. DannyZach

Trusted

Yea....I didn't even finish it :/

11. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Thanks just listened to a song the was posted online. Kinda forgot about it. Feels very Gaslight for obvious reasons, but that sort of makes me feels like it should have Brian singing. Maybe I’d fee different if I gave the album a full listen.

12. Honeymagnolia

Regular Supporter

It is a decent album but I just can't really get into Jared's voice.

13. EntryLevelTank

Fairly confident I understood Brian's story well enough.

upload_2018-10-24_13-43-21.png

Pretty sure this is his second wife hung from a ladder which inspired the lyrics in Smoke. He told a story about it in Boston and told us what music video it was, I swear I'm not a creep.

14. RJ Knorr

Trusted Supporter

15. JBoch

Trusted Supporter

That's almost a little painful to hear. Makes you think how things could have gone differently with that record if he had "put his foot down" like he said.

16. EntryLevelTank

Damn it, Brian. Gotta put your foot down.

RJ Knorr likes this.
  17. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

i miss gaslight :(

18. EntryLevelTank

Idk who got to go to the 59 Sound shows, but i felt like those were a really good goodbye. I feel good with Gaslight being gone so they can do things that make them happy.

SEANoftheDEAD, Joe4th and CarpetElf like this.
  19. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Have Mercy being his favorite song makes me happy. It's my second favorite off that record and it should've been the opener.

20. EntryLevelTank

I love that song so much. I loved when they opened shows with it. And then the random time they inserted Chelsea Hotel into the end of it is perfect.

Donnie Ruth, RJ Knorr and CarpetElf like this.
  21. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Have Mercy is incredible and it’s such a shame it’s not on the album

22. Get Hurt is a really good record

ECV, SteveLikesMusic, .K. and 2 others like this.
  23. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I like Get Hurt. B sides. All of it. Love Brian solo. Miss Gaslight.

24. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

My brother sent me a link to a surfing video cut to "Stay Vicious" the other day and it totally made me go and play the entire album on my ride home that night. Get Hurt is phenomenal.

It is super interesting hearing Brian say that those three bonus tracks were some of his favorite songs from those entire sessions. All three of those songs are great, but I really think "Have Mercy" and "Sweet Morphine" are on another level. You can definitely see those three songs leading to a bluesier sounding and very different album. I have to say that four years on I think "Have Mercy" is comfortably my favorite Get Hurt era song.

Stories like that one shed a lot of light on why Gaslight is not an active thing right now, even if it wasn't the usual blow-out breakup where they're fighting and hate each other.

As a funny side note though, I posit that Brian Fallon continues to do that exact thing in his solo albums, with "Low Love" and "Georgia" not making it onto Painkillers - and that's with Butch Walker producing having hailed from said state!!!

25. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I think he was getting into the Molly and the Zombies/Painkillers vibe stuff at that time. Probably felt refreshing to him creatively. I love Have Mercy. I’d say Get Hurt (the song) is my favourite, then it’s a toss up between Have Mercy, Break Your Heart, 1,000 Years and And Underneath The Ground. Dark Places, Red Violins, Halloween, Rollin and Tumbling, and on and on are all fantastic.

I like Sweet Morphine and Mama’s Boys, just not near the top of my Get Hurt list.

I does make me sad that the band didn’t have more say on their record, but who had the say to that extent to keep off 3 songs Brian loved?