Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Gaslight Anthem Band • Page 160

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. eagles1139

Regular

I really like it and I think the lyrics are some of the best on the album. There's just a few songs on the album I'd love to hear live that I never have, like Rollin and Tumblin.

My love for Get Hurt over Handwritten stems mainly from thinking the lyrics are way more interesting/poetic.

Zac Djamoos and Barresi like this.
  2. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Handwritten has not held up for me as 59 Sound and American Slang have, which is pretty unexpected, but alas, true.

Zac Djamoos likes this.
  3. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

The outro riff on Mulholland Drive still rules so hard.

Pepetito and Joe4th like this.
  4. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

Its just an album cover.

5. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

I heard it during the Get Hurt tour and it just killed any momentum the setlist had.

6. terps12

Regular

For those who went to multiple nights in NJ, how'd you rank each night? I went Friday and Sunday and thought Friday had a much better crowd and a lot more energy. Friday was genuinely one of the most enjoyable shows I've attended in the last few years. I was a little disappointed in how few songs they changed between those two nights. I think the only differences were:

Wooderson/1930
    American Slang/Stay Viscous
    Boomboxes/Halloween

It seems like other dates on this tour got a lot more variety on the Handwritten songs: Here Comes My Man, Mulholland, Biloxi. I guess I would have been better off hitting Saturday instead of Sunday as Saturday had less overlap.

7. Barresi

Spooky Space Kook Supporter

I don't think they played Here Comes My Man at all. I haven't heard that song live in at least five years.

8. terps12

Regular

Hmm -- they definitely sound checked with it on Friday night. Maybe I imagined seeing it on another setlist then.

9. drewinseries

Drew

I really love Get Hurt.

Zac Djamoos likes this.
  10. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

I was pretty far in the back Saturday because we were coming from a wedding on Long Island and get to asbury like 5 minutes before they went on stage, and the crowd level/energy back there was a little low and i was surprised and liiiittle disappointed in the crowd lol

Sunday we were in for doors and were up against the barricade to the right of the stage and the crowd up there was wild, a lot of fun, nobody being an asshole. I did hear a lot of people got hurt saturday night by moshers and crowd surfers, and i read one twitter post that a girl supposedly was sexually assaulted by someone and she and the guy trying to help her were thrown out and she had to beg to file a police report (im paraphrasing what i remember reading) but it was very disappointing and sad to read that.

edit: found it

11. NoRoads

Funny you say that because I also went Friday and Sunday and kinda felt the same, though I think that mostly boils down to where I was standing. I was front towards the left of stage for both nights (in the area where Alex R was standing). I noticed on Sunday the crowd skewed a lot older, at least where I was. I was maybe three deep behind the barricade and there was a guy probably in his 60's in front of me that seemed to be by himself just trying to take pictures all night with little success because his phone's camera wouldn't focus and another couple that just stood still all night. No one around me was doing much singing on clapping and honestly it was a bit of a bummer. Seemed like everyone on the right side of the stage was having a blast though. So yeah, Friday for me was a lot more fun as far as audience participation goes.

12. NoRoads

I didn't hear about this but I checked her twitter and she posted this last night, at least there might be a positive outcome to come out of the whole ordeal. Obviously it should have never happened to begin with though.

13. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

great to hear. all the security and personnel from the pony that i encountered this weekend could not have been nicer so it was disheartening to see that nobody had replied to her or reached out from them.

14. Michael Qualiano

mikeq

imthesheriff likes this.
  15. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

CarpetElf likes this.
  16. Ben Lee

I drink coffee and dad my kids Supporter

Loved this bit:

“This is yours now. It was mine and I’m fond of it, but now it’s yours. I will give it to you in the capacity that I can. These are your memories now; I’m going in some other direction.”

Joe4th, RJ Knorr, ECV and 1 other person like this.
  17. DannyZach

Trusted

When I met Brian in May at Starbucks,I told him that I love his interviews and that I always take something and use it in my life.This is one of those things.Man is just so smart and humble

SteveLikesMusic likes this.
  18. ZooZooChaCha

Trusted Supporter

"You know there’s a thing that gets funny, and we all do this…We see something we like and we want it and when it stops we want more of it. And the thing is, it’s never quite what you remember once you get it again. It either becomes a new thing and it becomes good in that way."

This applies to so much in entertainment and music right now.

RJ Knorr likes this.
  19. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I wish it wasn’t all so final. Brian’s Sleepwalkers is amazing though.

20. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Yeah more and more im glad i splurged on the final two asbury shows i dont think youll ever see this band again

ECV and RobJGolde like this.
  21. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

I just can’t really get into Brian’s solo albums and I don’t know why

22. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

Love sleepwalkers to death.
    Painkillers was a grower.

23. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

I really like the silence cover though.

24. RobJGolde

Wrecked 'em? Damn near killed 'em!

If that final show on the 19th was the last time I ever got to see them, then that was a hell of a note to go out on.

ECV likes this.
  25. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Sleepwalkers is in the Gaslight vein more than Painkillers. It’s been mentioned the Clash had an influence on the writing of American Slang and Sleepwalkers. Also, I’ve been very pleased with the return of Ted Hutt. Sleepwalkers feels cohesive as an album. He gets how to record Brian. I still think Painkillers was still Brian figuring out the solo thing. Some great songs, just some different vibes collected. Plus some material was revisited from Molly and the Zombies.

I wish Gaslight was ruled out as being a thing again, but I’m so happy Brian hasn’t slowed down at all.