Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Gaslight Anthem Band • Page 149

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. MidDave

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

2. CstSnow

Regular Supporter

3. kupe

Regular

Heads up to anyone going to the Stone Pony shows, Alex and Alex are DJing an after party at the House Of Independents Friday and Saturday night

beachdude42, ECV, Barresi and 2 others like this.
  4. Kmil

Trusted

Never really listened to this band, is "The '59 sound" their best album? I heard it once through and not a lot stuck out to me, but "Old White Lincoln" is stuck in my head constantly. I think with a couple more spins of the album I will appreciate it way more. Any other album I should jump into?

5. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

sink or swim

6. Start there and go forward, then go back to the EP and their first album IMO.

beachdude42 likes this.
  7. kupe

Regular

I've heard a good amount of people all say 59, American Slang, or Handwritten is the best (so I'd check out any of those 3 first, depends on what you're looking for), with slightly fewer saying Sink or Swim is the best, and not many saying Get Hurt (although it's up there for me personally, and the majority of die hard Gaslight fans seem to like a good amount of songs from that album)

and like Jason mentioned, gotta check out the Senor and the Queen EP too

8. Kmil

Trusted

Thanks for the suggestions, will end up checking out their whole discography. I really like the vibe of "The '59 Sound" just needs to click.

beachdude42 and Donnie Ruth like this.
  9. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Personally, Handwritten would be my recommendation next. I adore Handwritten and it lyrically resembled everything I was feeling and going through back in 2012. The album means a whole great deal to me!

Hope you find something you enjoy from their discography! Every album is different enough to offer something you could get into!

10. musicfan10

Trusted

Check out the song , we came to dance, once you listen to that, you will be hooked for life

Pepetito likes this.
  11. Kmil

Trusted

I heard the song Handwritten when I was going through random songs, really liked it. Will check out the album too. I just went for a drive, put the windows down and listened to "The '59 Sound", it was great.

Will check this out ASAP.

Donnie Ruth likes this.
  12. musicfan10

Trusted

Ok let me know

13. Kmil

Trusted

Song's awesome, really liked it. Will check out all their stuff the next few weeks.

14. musicfan10

Trusted

Yep that’s the song that hooked me :

Next check these 3 of theirs

Even cowgirls get the blues
    Orphans
    Desire

15. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Start at ‘59 Sound, American Slang, then Handwritten.

Then go to Sink or Swim, Senor and The Queen ep, , re-listen to the above listed in order, then Get Hurt. Then The Horrible Crowe’s Elsie, Brian’s solo album Painkillers and Sleepwalkers. Then Gaslight Itunes sessions and any besides. The repeat over and over and over and over

beachdude42, Jason Tate and Kmil like this.
  16. Kmil

Trusted

Haha sounds so daunting.

17. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

I would not have these anywhere near my top 4 recommendations for Gaslight lol. Orphans rules, but the other two I would argue are the least best on their respective albums.

18. MidDave

I would 100% start with Say You Won’t.

Donnie Ruth likes this.
  19. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Every second is enjoyable though. Brian’s music has a real continuity to it. If you like ‘59 Sound, then American Slang and Handwritten fit just nicely after. Gaslight and Brian’s music really get stuck in your head.

Kmil likes this.
  20. MattNCheeze

Trusted

Anyone Chicago based been to the Riviera? Coming up from Nashville for the show and my only Chicago show going experiences have Riot Fest @ Humboldt and the downtown HoB.

21. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

The Riviera is more north in the Uptown neighborhood. It's near the Aragon Ballroom. There are plenty of bars and food spots nearby. Although, I would keep an eye out for the G-Man tavern in Lakeview as they do a lot of cool after shows. The actual venue is an old theater with a large GA floor that will feel tight since it's sold out. Where are you staying?

22. MattNCheeze

Trusted

The last time we were in Chicago we stayed in a hostel in Wicker Park. Rates were ridiculous that weekend so ended up catching an AirBnb in Avondale. Google maps says the neighborhood is called "Belmont Gardens".

23. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Gotcha. Yeah that area is a little bit west and on the other side of 90. So unless you are splitting the rides with people it could get a little pricey to go to and from the venue. 6 or so miles in the city is a long way (plus a weekend night) so just want to give you that heads up. It wouldn't be terrible though to go from Belmont Gardens to like Logan Square, Wicker, and some of those trendy/hipster neighborhoods. If possible, I would probably stay on the other side of 90 as the train system would likely become an option, which is much cheaper. That said, I don't really know what the Air B&B situation is like for a weekend.

24. MidDave

I found a weird thing with Chicago where there are a lot of dormitory hotels.

25. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Listening to handwritten today.

The one-two punch of Mae -> National Anthem fucking destroyed me.