Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Gaslight Anthem Ranks The Gaslight Anthem’s Albums

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 24, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Brian Fallon sat down with Noisey to rate The Gaslight Anthem’s albums:

I wasn’t sure which was my favorite record, but Handwritten was definitely a contender. Handwritten is one where the whole band was firing on all cylinders. We accepted our place in the world, we were playing in front of a lot of people, and there were a lot of people watching us. So we were just writing a record that was a good, fun record to listen to.

2. Zip It Chris

Be kind; everyone is on their own journey.

I give 'Get Hurt' a lot more credit...luckily for me all the albums are super close and anyone's ranking could potentially make sense. Love hearing the back stories behind the albums, and frustration that goes into actually making a record. Makes me wonder what certain albums that fall short for other bands could have been without a timetable?

3. Turkeylegz

Trusted

Sink or Swim at 3 makes me pretty happy. I love the rawness of it!

4. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Love Get Hurt and American Slang....bands always do this with the records I love most.

Butinsmallsteps likes this.
  5. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Brian didn't seem so sure about his ranking. Haha

Turkeylegz likes this.
  6. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

59 Sound

Handwriten
    American Slang
    Sink or Swim

Get Hurt

And I'd throw Elsie in second. His two solo records are probably just under Sink or Swim. Sleepwalkers above Painkillers because it has higher highs (Etta James soty).
    I like every Fallon/Gaslight album although 59 Sound is like top 10 all time for me and the others are a step below while still being good to great.

Brodobaggins34 likes this.
  7. Brodobaggins34

They fixed your brain when you were young.

1.59 Sound (Top 10 albums of all time for me)
    2.Handwritten (Top 20 albums of all time for me)
    3.American Slang
    4.Get Hurt
    5.Sink or Swim

8. delvec19

Trusted

Get Hurt is definitely last but I still enjoy most of that album. Just love this band.

9. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

59 Sound
    Handwritten

American Slang
    Sink or Swim

Get Hurt

10. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

Listened to a Scott Hutchison interview he did with Google during the TMOF tour, and he talked about how he understood and empathized with the fact a lot of fans have a special love for the first album that introduced them to a band (whether that's actually the band's first album is a different thing). Anyhow, curious how the (average) fan ranking of Sink of Swim varies depending on when the fans got into them? Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are plenty of long time fans of Gaslight Anthem who still prefer the later albums more, but i can't help but suspect overall they/we rank it higher than later fans.

11. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

'59 Sound got me into the band. First time I saw them was them touring American Slang. I completely agree with Fallon's ranking.

12. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

I should note, despite my earlier post about Sink or Swim, Brian's ranking totally matched mine too.

CarpetElf likes this.
  13. BKO5950505

Regular

'59
    (Elsie)
    SoS
    Slang
    (SatQ)
    Handwritten
    (Painkillers)
    (Sleepwalkers)
    Get Hurt

Something like that. Best band.

CarpetElf likes this.
  14. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Elsie is #2 for me. Sleepwalkers and Painkillers are up there with Handwritten.

15. AshlandATeam

Trusted

American Slang
    Handwritten
    '59 Sound
    Get Hurt
    Sink or Swim

And honestly, Painkillers, Sleepwalkers and Elsie are all ahead of all of those on the 'Fallon' list. Which is no knock on Gaslight, who's one of my favorite bands; Fallon's solo work is jusf absurdly, brilliantly good.

16. cherrywaves

Trusted

Agree with these 100%

17. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Handwritten got me into the band and that is my favorite, even though I like all the other albums

18. shredinate

1. American Slang
    2. Handwritten
    3. ‘59 Sound
    4. Get Hurt
    5. Sink or Swim

AshlandATeam likes this.
  19. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

sleepwalkers and painkillers are both better than get hurt, and maybe sink or swim. Elsie is at the very bottom of the list.