Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Front Bottoms Band • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by TheVandyMan, Mar 12, 2016.

1. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Which weekend are you? I'll be at Front Bottoms weekend 2 for sure. Last time I saw them was the Say Anything tour as well, way excited

2. irthesteve

Very interesting, I actually didn't even know Rose was old songs re-done, how little I know!

3. Anticitizen7

Please be kind. Like actually kind though.

I find a surprisingly large amount of people dont know about their pre self titled releases, and when they do its usually only I Hate My Friends. Their older stuff is definitely worth a listen.

4. irthesteve

I only recently listened to self titled anyway, haven't had desire to go any further back

5. Ibesmokin

Weekend 1 unfortunately I'm really curious to see what kind of a draw they are

6. TOS_Matt Apr 10, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 11, 2016)
    TOS_Matt

So I blew my own mind yesterday when I was driving and listening to Built to Spill's song "In The Morning." Listen to the part of the bridge from 1:59 to 2:01.

The Front Bottoms totally payed homage to the song in the bridge of The Plans (Fuck Jobs). Listen starting at 2:41.

Thought this was cool and some people might have missed it. I thought I made the first discovery, but YouTube comments proved me wrong haha.

Anti-Counter-Culture likes this.
  7. Anticitizen7

Please be kind. Like actually kind though.

Oh yeah I remember when I made that connection, blew my mind too! I also wondered if they named it the plan because that's a built to spill song too.

8. zigbigwig

I Miss Jake W Prestigious

Such a fantastic record. It holds up extremely well. (Referring to BOT)

9. scotchkoreanguy

Avoids eye contact, great conversationalist

The way Motorcycle starts is just phenomenal and makes me smile every time I hear it. Love how it feels like Back on Top is intentionally polished in an almost spiteful way, as if to say sarcastically, "Yeah, we sure did sell out, didn't we?" knowing that people would have reservations about their first release on Fueled by Ramen. They manage to make that sort of statement without sacrificing what makes them special. At least that's my interpretation, maybe I'm wrong about that.

Also, I'm not one for dancing like, ever, but Summer Shandy makes me want to get up and move.

collin512 likes this.
  10. zigbigwig

I Miss Jake W Prestigious

We'll probably never know if that was intended but it would be so cool if it was.

Agreed. I love how their personalities (or at least what I perceive them to be) mesh with their music so effortlessly.

11. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

they're real nice guys. i remember when i interviewed them back in like 2012 when they were supporting MCS, brian literally just came up to me and gave me a giant bear hug and that was the first interaction i had with him

12. Anti-Counter-Culture

Regular

When I saw them, they were outside talking to fans in line. We showed up an hour or so early, and while we drove by, I'm almost certain I saw them skating outside the venue.

13. cagesafe

Interview with guitar player on last night of their tour. This is in tour bus outside Rams Head Live in Baltimore (With a few live tidbits from the show.)

14. Collins

Trusted

They're so much fun live. I like that they change the set up every night too. We only got 5 Back On Top cuts at our show but they played quite a bit of old material which was cool.

15. cwhit

still blows me away how big they've gotten. second biggest surge in popularity i've followed in recent years

16. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

The way they mix up setlists is a trait that is SORELY missing from this scene. Then again I'm a diehard Phish fan so I'm biased and spoiled.

17. Anti-Counter-Culture

Regular

Seriously. I was posting about BoT on Facebook when it dropped, and in class the next day, like, four people started talking to me about it. (Typically, bands on the level of The Front Bottoms pre-Back on Top seem to be unheard of on campus, or at least I've never heard them talked about.)

18. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

I have been pleasantly stunned at the number of festival spots they've gotten this year for two reasons: 1) they worked extremely hard to get to this point and deserve this success and 2) festivals giving bands in this scene more visibility with big-time bookings.

19. cwhit

Like I'm even looking from even earlier. First time I saw them was January 2012, it was very steady popularity increasing until they absolutely blew up with FBR

20. cwhit

i mean, they're on fueled by ramen. not really different than 21 pilots or young the giant getting on festivals at this point. they aren't in the scene

21. softanimal

It's my mum's dodge caravan

out of interest what's the first?

22. cwhit

the 1975, pretty easily. i've posted about it, but i saw them the first time in early 2013 at a 250 cap. 500 cap in june, 750 in october...1200 in may the next year, 4000 in november. then a year and a half later they're headlining a festival at a pavilion

softanimal likes this.
  23. softanimal

It's my mum's dodge caravan

Oh yeah definitely. Saw them supporting Muse at the Emirates Stadium in 2013 and no one knew who they were, within 2 years think they had the biggest crowd recorded ever headlining the second stage at Reading, their rise has been insane

24. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

The Front Bottoms • chorus.fm

Here's my interview with the band from shaky knees. A few interesting things in here, including a confirmation of them working on a new craft beer. I know it's Mat* not Matt but I'm dumb and forgot as I was typing it up.

VanMastaIteHab likes this.
  25. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

Would be so into a Courtney Barnett/TFB/Pinegrove tour.

SayHello and Emotherapy like this.