Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Front Bottoms Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by TheVandyMan, Mar 12, 2016.

1. TheVandyMan

Please stop deleting my custom title Prestigious

The Front Bottoms are an American indie rock band that originated in Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey The band consists of Brian Sella (vocals, guitar), Mat Uychich (drums), Tom Warren (bass) and Ciaran O'Donnell (keyboards, guitar, trumpet).

Essential listening: Back on Top

2. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

Back On Top is their best record

3. highfidelity203

Hailey, It Happens Prestigious

Pretty much agree with this - although the self-titled rivals it on occasion for me. Talon of the Hawk was a great career move in terms of holding their audience for a second record before branching out but it's my least favorite.

4. cwhit

other than twin sized (which is probably their best song), it think the first half of talon sucks haha. second half has some good songs but i never go back to it

5. Talon and Back On Top are about level for me. I love them both.

6. highfidelity203

Hailey, It Happens Prestigious

Haha I like Talon of the Hawk but I can't think of it as more than a solid release. I don't go to it very often either. I'm glad they moved on from it with Back on Top. I'm curious if they will be more ambitious with their next release.

7. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Love Back on Top, really feels more special and unique than any other rock albums in a long time for me

cagesafe likes this.
  8. Anticitizen7

Please be kind. Like actually kind though.

Back On Top was easily my favorite record of 2015, but I don't think I could ever pick a favorite record out of S/T, Talon, and Back on Top. Each of them are just genuinely amazing records and Self Titled and Talon hold spots in my hearts for the way I related to them at the time I found them. Each of those records has multiple songs that could be contenders for their best song.

9. PatRFinley

Early Onset Grump LFGM Supporter

Back On Top is definitely sonically they're best work, but S/T has a place in my heart that I don't think any other album they create will be able to compete with.

10. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah I'll probably always love self titled the most. Too many memories. But Back on Top is perfect.

11. Anti-Counter-Culture

Regular

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I loved everything they did up until Back On Top. It's not even that the production was upped for me, so much as that it felt halfhearted and nothing felt fully-realized. It was actually probably my least favorite of last year, which is insane, because I was sure it'd be my favorite. Just watched the "Cough It Out" live video and did like the song better without the production, but the lyrics and tone just don't work for me.

12. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

Back on Top has been a fixture for me since it came out. Can't get enough of it.

cagesafe likes this.
  13. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

2YL -> West Virginia -> Plastic Flowers is just a ridiculously good way to close out a record. It helps that the rest of Back on Top is great too.

14. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

Plastic Flowers is pretty easily my favorite TFB song at this point.

15. PatRFinley

Yeah Plastic Flowers is such a good closer for Back On Top. Probably the strongest closer on any TFB album

16. PatRFinley

Just read the write up/interview over on SPIN and thought it was pretty good. Pretty interesting that Brian is writing a book. Hopefully its good, but I'll probably check it regardless. Also nice to hear that the next Grandma EP is in the works.

17. Anticitizen7

Considering that the next Grandma EP is in the works, anyone wanna post what tracks they hope are redone? My list would look like this is no real order:

Lonely Eyes
    Taking My Uzi To The Gym
    Push Ups
    Molly
    Christians VS Indians
    The Supply of Power (Lalala)
    The Distance That I Fell

18. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

You Wouldn't Be Laughing for sure.

19. cwhit

Didn't they add one or two new songs last time too?

20. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

What's the story with the grandma EPs? They are old songs re-done? Is there more than just Rose? I dig Rose

21. Ibesmokin

Going to see them at Coacella (first time going) since I saw them w/ Say Anythinf. One of the most intense pits I've been in that had an acoustic on stage. So excited to hear Back on Top live finally.

22. cwhit

They were originally going to be season EPs of old songs (so weird that they told me that in an interview like a year and a half before the first Grandma EP actually happened, haha), now Grandma EPs, but yeah. old songs re-recorded. the plan is for four, but i'd be shocked if all those happened

edit: lol, just reread the interview for the first time in four years, some weird stuff in it. like how they said they thought they'd only ever be a three piece at most haha

23. Anticitizen7

Awkward Situations was the only "new" song, and it was just an older song that had never been recorded.

24. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Had gone the past 3 years, but had to sell my ticket...actually gave it to the person today. HAVE SO MUCH GODDAMN FUN.

Ibesmokin likes this.
  25. Jakobindeed

My Whole Life is Thunder Prestigious

I love this band so very much, wish the tour with Diet Cig was coming here, because they have one of the best live shows I've seen

ChaseTx likes this.