Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Front Bottoms - In Sickness & In Flames (August 21, 2020) Album • Page 15

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by btr, Jul 1, 2020.

1. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Dang, mine still says Processing.

2. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Brian sounds rly good on here - almost didnt even realize it was him

3. If I keep listening to this at the rate I have been, I'm gonna need to snag a vinyl copy

Snoblin likes this.
  4. Damn, the fork really did this one dirty, huh

5. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

whatever, its just pitchfork

Snoblin likes this.
  6. I mean, I think the review would be just as crazy coming from any publication haha. Just disagree with a whole lot of it.

7. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I guess my point is that pitchfork has historically been pretty harsh on punk, pop-punk, and music you'd find across this website so I never care for their reviews on the subject

8. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I just think it's weird to try to make it sound like the lyrics on this are vapid when I consider this pretty easily the most personal (or at least most specific) Brian has ever been, but what can you do

9. Snoblin

Goblin Person Prestigious

That read like the author already had the last few lines written before they wrote the rest of the review.

It's hilarious that the author wrote an entire review just to say "TFB were better when they were Pop-Punk and Immature."

As always, Pitchfork can suck sweaty taint.

10. Doomsday

Trusted Prestigious

Fuck Pitchfork this album is amazing

imthesheriff and Staypositive83 like this.
  11. Staypositive83

Regular Supporter

I was surprised by the review. Looks like it’s the only review the author wrote for them.

Leaf pile is everything. That refrain after the spoken word is going to be epic live....someday

12. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

I would never have expected Pitchfork to review a TFB album positively

13. The way he sings "They're probably calling the cops on me right now in a universe parallel" on "camouflage" reminds me SO much of Motion City Soundtrack

ChaseTx, SteveLikesMusic and Snoblin like this.
  14. Aaron Mook Aug 26, 2020
    (Last edited: Aug 26, 2020)
    *extremely early 00s Fueled By Ramen voice* The thiiiiiiings like that doooon't maaaatterrrrr

15. WasEmoRocknowImjustold

Not newbie, I think Supporter

It's so cool how many little snippets as I listen I'm just like, "that sounds like this band" yet every song sounds distinct, yet fluid, yet still classic Front Bottoms. I think this line makes no sense to anyone unless you're into the band.

16. Here's a fun pro-shot show from 2018:

SteveLikesMusic likes this.
  17. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

The one I keep coming back to is Manchester Orchestra. I hear their influence a lot on this album, sometimes in subtle ways, sometimes more obvious (new song d)

mad and ImAMetaphor like this.
  18. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

The intro to new song d reminds me a lot of Lead, SD

mattfreaksmeout likes this.
  19. WasEmoRocknowImjustold

Not newbie, I think Supporter

It's funny. Every critic/radio/magazine has crapped all over this genre for the last 20 years. I remember sending a letter to a radio station to start playing Starting Line/Finch/New Found Glory/Brand New. I got back a letter saying that was an idiot kid that I listen to shit music and to piss off. 2-3 years later all they were playing was Emo/Pop-Punk.

I can't see how you can compare this to their earlier work and say "go back" to anything. There's nothing they're not incorporating and then going further with it.

Brian's voice on this album is fantastic. In past albums, I never listened for his "singing" so to speak but his style/authenticity is what hooks you. On here, he just has some belts, max bemis screams, spoken word that all put together just rule. Everybody's coming up with different bands they hear incorporated. Listening to this album has made a lot of past songs present that I have going through my head.

I've seen the Front Bottoms live probably 5 times. A lot of those times were to see other bands first, (Say Anything, Manchester Orchestra, Brand New) But each time they kind of re-blew me away and are just freggin fun as hell to be around their vibe. Besides Brand New, their live show showed up the bands I went to the concert to see.

They've been a borderline top 5-10 favorite bands for me for a long time and never really cracked top 3 since I got obsessed with self-titled but I think the consistency and the lasting power of some key songs coupled with this album might put me to respond to, "Who's your favorite band?" As The Front Bottoms. That's a pretty cool discovery. I can put them on in any mood, and they jam.

I see a lot of praise around here, for all the times I've shit on bands not meeting my arrogance of expectations, it's cool to be like. Yea this rules.

unbornwhiskey and VanMastaIteHab like this.
  20. travisred

Trusted Supporter

The intro/repeated ooo's for new song d give me major Bad Books vibes.

mad likes this.
  21. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Ya exactly!

The ooo's are a big part of what I'm talking about here. Not as well versed in Bad Books as I should be, but still.

ImAMetaphor likes this.
  22. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

regular reminder the Pitchfork is pure trash

SteveLikesMusic and Snoblin like this.
  23. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I'm here to certify that I am an official member of the latitude 66 aurora borealis life

24. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

somehow got unsubscribed from this thread. just wanna pop in and say if you write that p4k review after hearing bus beat and leaf pile then bye

Snoblin and monrovian like this.
  25. paperlung

there's no place like my room Supporter

yes! the start of leaf pile reminds me of something off simple math

mattfreaksmeout likes this.