Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Format Band • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by SpyKi, Mar 14, 2016.

1. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Foreigner - I Want To Know What Love Is ft. Nate Ruess

coming out tomorrow.

There's no Nate thread on here

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  2. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

hell why not.

3. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

here it is

4. irthesteve

5. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Listening to Grand Romantic this morning and still fairly mixed on it.

I love the bridge of Ahha and the song with Beck is underrated, I think.

KidLightning likes this.
  6. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, I remember him talking about how he drunkenly improvised almost all of Take It Back and that's how it appears on the album, haha. I agree with you.

7. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

"Take it Back" is amazing, one of the best on there imo.

8. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Take It Back and You Light My Fire feel far from soulless. There are songs I don't love on that album, but I wouldn't use that word for anything on there.

9. listened to GR this morning and still think a fair bit of it is really, really good. some of it loses me, but Harsh Lights and Ah Ha are still top notch

JRGComedy likes this.
  10. SpyKi

I think it's pretty consistently great with nothing on there touching his best stuff.

JRGComedy and Zac Djamoos like this.
  11. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

I can agree with that. Even Harsh Light and AhHa are fairly weak and scattershot compared to Be Calm, Some Nights, Stars, etc.

12. irthesteve

Album's alright, far from the quality of anything else he's done sadly. Harsh Light is the only standout for me, the rest range from ok to meh

JRGComedy likes this.
  13. SpyKi

Harsh Light wouldnt even be in the top half for me. i think Light My Fire is my least favourite and i still love it.

14. irthesteve

The whole thing was such a bummer for me... Nothing Without Love came out and I thought ok, not a bad song but way more straightforward and generic than anything he's done before... but it's just the lead single, so I didn't want to judge. then the whole album came out and it just is missing so much personality and creativity and spark that Format/fun. have, so I thought... you know, Nate is happy and he is proud of this and worked hard on it, so I am glad he is happy. And then he goes and talks about how Take It Back means nothing and is just word vomit he came up with on the spot, talks about how he had lofty plans for Grand Romantic to be a three piece thing that started, ended and popped up in the middle, but that at the last moment he abandoned the idea and cut part of the main song to create a half assed intro.... which just bummed me out more, that a good amount of this album was rushed and not thought through, he said so himself...

ComedownMachine likes this.
  15. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

But they did do oceans so

ComedownMachine likes this.
  16. SpyKi

its definitely significantly weaker and less impressive than his fun./Format stuff but that says more about how great they are. i am hoping that he puts more effort into whatever he does next though and makes something as good as his other stuff.

17. irthesteve

I saw the tour and it was definitely fun, but the same songs that didn't hit on the album didn't sound much better live sadly

18. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Harsh Light is definitely one of my least favorite songs on the album

19. Corey Putney

@coreyputney Prestigious

Came in to hypothesize. With Bleachers about to release a new record and tour and Nate's solo venture not really taking off, I'm pretty confident that we'll get The Format reunion album and tour in 2017.

20. Fox83

Trusted

I just realized we're almost at the five year anniversary mark for Some Nights. Wow.

21. SpyKi

I'd love that. He said at a recent show that it'll be the last few shows he plays in a long time. I really hope that's because he's going to be working on new music (however that may be) and not some sort of break.

22. irthesteve

I feel bad for Nate, I know he had high hopes for his solo career to skyrocket, but it didn't happen.

23. duritzfan13

all we have is time

I'd love a reunion tour, but album?

I feel like a new Format album would inevitably sound nothing like a Format album and might be one of those cases of "why even use the name again?"

FTank likes this.
  24. SpyKi

If it's Sam and Nate then that's why they'd use the name.

25. irthesteve

It's also ridiculous to assume at all what an album would sound like if it existed

SpyKi likes this.