Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Food Thread's Chopped/Iron Chef Ingredient Picking Extravaganza Thread • Page 8

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Justice Beaver, May 4, 2017.

1. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

Damn!!! Y'all gonna haf ta step it up y'all!!!!!

Good job @coleslawed that looks good. Tortilla chicken was a smart move

2. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

damn it I'm starving. looks great! will be making tortilla wings in the very near future

coleslawed likes this.
  3. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

@coleslawed I definitely appreciate the matching plate and ramikan, too.

coleslawed and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  4. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

Beautiful camerawork as well @coleslawed
    I just ate and I'm salivating

angrycandy, coleslawed and AelNire like this.
  5. BlueEyesBrewing May 16, 2017
    (Last edited: May 16, 2017)
    BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

[​IMG]

I present my dish toasted chickpea spring roll with spicy peanut sauce and dried tortilla crumble.

Thank God we weren't stuck to a time limit for this. I don't know how the people on Chopped are able to make their dishes in such a short amount of time, it takes me like 10 minutes just to gather ingredients and supplies. I also somehow didn't have any of the ingredients on hand so I had to go buy pretty much everything, even peanut butter.

I started by tossing the chickpeas with olive oil, salt, chili powder, and cayenne pepper then baking for about 30 minutes. I've never had chickpeas before so I have no idea if I cooked them right. I wasn't a huge fan of these but my daughter seemed to like them which was a shock. Next was the process of chopping all the other veggies; green onion, carrots, cucumber, mint, green leaf lettuce, and radishes. I also added some vermicelli rice noodles which probably ended being one of my favorite parts of this.

[​IMG]

For the peanut sauce I just used peanut butter, miren, soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic, and sriracha. This was actually delicious and was my favorite thing I made from this. The only thing I'd maybe change is to add a little more sriracha to give it more of a kick. As it was there was a slight tinge of heat at the end of the bite but not much.

For the tortilla crumble my plan was to spread some peanut butter on a tortilla and bake it low and slow to dehydrate it and use as the peanut crumbs in the sauce. I forgot how much oil is in peanut butter so that never dried out, just got really hot. The tortilla did crisp up, though, so I decided to just freeze it and then crush it after that. It actually turned out ok but not like I was planning. Finally it was just a matter of layering the ingredient and rolling them up.

[​IMG]

When I started thinking about these I had very high expectations that these would be a life changing meal. They didn't quite turn out like I had hoped but they were still very good. Unfortunately, because I'm so slow at cooking new things (and I had to make dinner in the middle of making these, delicious frozen chicken patty sandwiches with American cheese and waffle fries, and I dropped my sandwich on the floor and still ate it) I didn't end up eating these until like 9:30p.m. I wish I would've made these as an app for a party or something and planned this better. My wife didn't quite understand why I was going through all the trouble to make a dish for a competition in which no one got to eat the food and my daughter handed me hers back when I tried to give her one. I'm not really sure what that means but I had fun and I'd say I succeeded in making something edible and enjoyable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

I want all of this food so bad

7. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

Looking good Blue Brew looking good!

angrycandy likes this.
  8. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

Y'all...I am honestly blown away.

[​IMG]

9. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

10. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

and agreed on the timing, I think it took me a full two hours.

also, thanks everyone! this was fun.

angrycandy and Dirty Sanchez like this.
  11. Wall Of Arms

LIGHTEN UP, BUTTERCUP Prestigious

Excellent job! This is so great to read along with so far and I'm really impressed with the outcomes. Will definitely have to take part in one soon.

12. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

this is awesome. both of those meals look great.

Ken likes this.
  13. Justice Beaver

Crime Fighting Beaver

As an apology for fucking this up so royally I submit this:

AelNire and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  14. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Making me watch a Katy Perry video is like rubbing salt into an open wound.

coleslawed and suicidesaints like this.
  15. Mr. Serotonin

Are you a masochist? I only ask because that would drastically change what you're saying.

Ken likes this.
  16. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

haha. No, I am not.

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  17. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I was feeling down and not up to it

And my chickpeas went bad

18. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

i've been lurking and i had no expectations for any of this and the two posted here make me believe that there are actually some talented people on chorus and we're not all just disgusting bums

19. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

just u ;-)

cwhit and Ken like this.
  20. Justice Beaver

Crime Fighting Beaver

So Vegas killed me and I will write about it in the food thread but are we still going on this thing?

coleslawed and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  21. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Idk. I am between homes right now so competing in this is difficult for me. I should be able to compete in June.

Did you eat at anywhere I suggested?

Justice Beaver likes this.
  22. Justice Beaver

Crime Fighting Beaver

Eggslut and BurgR are the only two from your list I think.

coleslawed and Ken like this.
  23. Mr. Serotonin

Eggslut? :crylaugh:

angrycandy and Ken like this.
  24. Justice Beaver

Crime Fighting Beaver

Eggslut made me angry that food could taste like that.

coleslawed and Ken like this.
  25. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

You lost your tail huh

coleslawed, Ken and ChaseTx like this.