Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Food Thread's Chopped/Iron Chef Ingredient Picking Extravaganza Thread • Page 7

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Justice Beaver, May 4, 2017.

1. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

2. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

So who is actually going to have a completed dish to share?

AelNire likes this.
  3. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I might be able to do it tonight

But I'm feeling kinda bleh today so idk

4. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

I made my dish last night, hoping to do the write-up some time today/tonight

angrycandy likes this.
  5. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

I'll probably post mine tonight or tomorrow.

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  6. ChaseTx

Anyone wanna vote to extend this to Friday?

7. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

Sure.

8. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

You need til Friday to peel your chickpeas?

9. ChaseTx

I was unsure if they would work, so I just went and bought a bag of dried ones

AelNire and Dirty Sanchez like this.
  10. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

It's been so long, I've already forgotten the ingredients.

11. ChaseTx May 15, 2017
    (Last edited: May 15, 2017)
    ChaseTx

We don't have to, I was just suggesting

But I'm gonna make mine Wednesday and if it's too late nbd

12. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

We should honestly make the competition period two weeks. I had no time to compete this past week and I wanted to.

Justice Beaver likes this.
  13. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Two weeks is fair IMO. It gives everyone a little more time, especially in the event something happens that makes you busier than expected

14. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Yeah, I don't really have a kitchen as I'm renovating/moving at the same time. Where's that damn beaver?

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  15. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

an extension would be fantastic. i can get mine in by friday.

16. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Vegas

Ken likes this.
  17. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

18. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

I was able to get mine done in time this week but I was kind of scrambling to do so on Sunday night. I have no problem with an extension for this week and a 2-week period for future contests.

coleslawed and Ken like this.
  19. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

shoot, so I didn't have to walk to the grocery store for supplies when my car broke down over the weekend?

Dirty Sanchez and Ken like this.
  20. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

@Justice Beaver how is vegas? Are you going to none of my restaurant suggestions?

21. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

Tortilla Chip Wings w/ Peanut Sauce, and Edamame & Chickpea Salad

F1A12107-3471-4942-BA20-AE01636DC5BB.jpg

Coming up with something different for the tortillas & chickpeas was the hardest part of this. Went in hoping the salad wouldn't be too heavy and pair well with the chicken. If nothing else, the greens would add some color to the plate, haha.

First step-Turn those tortillas into chips.

74E820EA-7E95-4FCD-A815-8978C2F9D805.jpg
    Virgin tortillas
    7E9D1D82-065E-4523-972A-1FE57CA8998F.jpg
    First batch were a little dark, the rest came out much better. Pan fried in canola oil with a lite sprinkling of kosher salt.

These suckers were delicious and it's a little bit of a shame they were destined to be smashed as soon as they cooled down. Will definitely be making these again.

Step 2-WINGS

2EA259B5-480E-431A-A586-3A151A4F03CD.jpg
    Ready for breading. Chili powder eggwash & cumin-spiced crushed tortilla chips.

I've got a bad track record with breading things, so this was the step I was most nervous about. I think it went pretty well, the wings came out with a decent covering, and those tortilla chips maintained their delicious flavor through the baking of the wings.

Third-Peanut Sauce

A681A73F-7D12-4432-8A2E-5F77D53AAB41.jpg
    Peanut sauce prep while the wings bake.
    IMG_0464.JPG
    Finished wings & peanut sauce

This is one of my favorite sauces to make, so it was a no-brained for the peanut butter. Some websites recommended natural peanut butter, and I chose to go with chunky because it's the best. But while simmering, the sauce seemed a little too peanutty and not enough buttery, so I ended up adding in some Jiffy creamy. Pretty pleased with this stuff.

The Final Piece-Use those Dang Chickpeas

E3199707-CB53-4FFA-996C-68FF801E322C.jpg
    Salad prep
    FE3348EF-C262-486F-8FDF-87B785D17F92.jpg
    I brought the leftover salad to mother's day the next day, and it was a hit with grandma, so that's a win for me.

Debated using these as the wing breading initially, and also considered just roasting them, but I think this salad should be enough of a contrast from the wings but still tie in nicely with the asian flavors of the sauce. I think overall, this was my favorite final piece of the dish.

I wasn't actually super hungry after cooking all this, but it was certainly delicious. The combination of the breaded wings and peanut sauce was little bit heavy, but the flavors were all there, and like I said before, the salad came out great.

849B2737-D4CF-4504-8290-314781604266.jpg

22. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Man, I'm real mad I don't actually get to try any of these meals. That looks great

23. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

24. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

coleslawed is gonna run away with this thing

25. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

Ken was right to be afraid