Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Florida Thread • Page 13

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by joe727, Apr 8, 2016.

1. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

how bad is the flooding so far in Orlando?

2. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

I'm not sure about Orlando, but my parents in jax says there's about 4 ft of flooding where they are. And downtown St Aug has about 6ft.

3. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

damnnn

nl5011 likes this.
  4. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

My friend had a tree fall on her car in Tampa. Otherwise, I've only heard "we're safe" reports from my friends all over the state. Hope that trend continues for everyone.

nl5011 likes this.
  5. What's the scene in Orlando? My family evacuated the Miami area and are staying up there.

My brother's been overly paranoid saying they were definitely gonna be hit hard.

6. eight30

Regular

Orlando from what I can see is okay. I'm in south Orlando right now but my place is closer to downtown and I'm worried about it.

Still pretty strong gusts of wind coming through.

7. JimmyIymmiJ

Music, a steady riot in my soul. Prestigious

We ended up leaving on Saturday morning. It's been an adventure. Been in TN since, but planning on heading home tomorrow. My neighbors told us we have no power, but our house avoided damage. The people next door had a tree fall on their house. It could have been a lot worse but it weakened considerably by the time it made landfall. When we evacuated it was projected to hit us dead on as a 3 or a 4. At one point the eye was projected to go about a mile from my house. All things considered I'm still glad I left. I have two young kids, and I couldn't live with myself if something happened to them and I knew I could have prevented it.

8. Osceola13

Bringin the ruckus

I live in Wesley Chapel but I'm out in California so I wasn't able to board up my windows or anything so now I'm waiting til my neighbor gives me an update. There's a big tree right next to my house I was nervous about but my indoor security camera shows me no damage to the first floor at least plus that means the powers on. My mom lives in Lakewood Ranch and she said the wind and rain kept her up most of the night and some trees fell over but no house damage. Got a bunch of family in Naples who all evacuated so hopefully their homes are ok too.

Couldn't believe all those pics of the water receding from the bay, wonder how quickly it'll come back?

JimmyIymmiJ likes this.
  9. DisloyalOrder

Trusted Prestigious

Inland Miami had a lot of fallen trees but no structural damage thankfully. I've been without power since noon yesterday so I haven't been able to check how the beach and downtown Miami are doing but they were real bad Saturday night.

My phone has spotty service but hope to be back soon.

10. JimmyIymmiJ

It took us 23 hours to drive home from Nashville. That was crazy. We knew it would be bad, but by the time we realized how bad it was it was too late to change. No complaints though, because I got to sleep in my own bed with AC (I heard 75% of Tampa Bay still didn't have power as of yesterday evening, so I am one of the lucky ones). A few trees down, some debris, and possibly a missing shingle or two, but thankfully no serious damage. We dodged a bullet in this area overall because the projections were supposed to be much worse.

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  11. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

Ohhh my god. Glad everything's okay, but DAMN that's a long drive.

12. JimmyIymmiJ

It was insane. Did it with two kids too! Very limited meltdowns which was surprising but good.

13. windowbirds

close your eyes until tomorrow Supporter

My part of West Palm Beach had no power but no flooding, thank god.

Mr. Serotonin and JimmyIymmiJ like this.
  14. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

PHEW.

I live in tampa bay and have to be thankful. No flooding in my area (but I live in one of the high points of the county) but overall I don't think flooding was too bad around here. LOTS of trees and branches down and almost my entire county lost power.
    I was out of power from sunday night until wednesday night. That shit sucked. I got a hotel room one night because I just couldn't handle it and was soo bored and the hotel luckily had power AND wifi.
    Spent all day yesterday at the mall/movie theater because they had power. Finally when I went home the power came back on.
    So with that I guess I can say we officially survived Irma. Schools are closed until monday though, which means we lost over a week.

15. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

I really hope Maria does not come for Florida.

16. LessThanTrevor

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah. I just got power back and I need to have this for a good year before I lose it again.

17. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

Ugh, I'm so mad that Richard Spencer got his way and UF legally has to let him speak there tomorrow. Fortunately, it seems they're handling the situation well. Teachers have been told to be understanding of students that ask to be excused from class because they don't feel comfortable being on campus tomorrow when he's there.

There's also a brewery that's giving away free beer to people who go and claim tickets to throw them away in order to try to maximize the number of empty seats during the event.

CarpetElf likes this.
  18. DisloyalOrder

Trusted Prestigious

Glad I'm not in Gainesville anymore to be there for that. Sounds like madness.

19. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

I'm heading to Sanibel Island mid-May. I looked at Trip Advisor for things to do and the top 3 are

Sanibel Public Library
    Sanibel Island Farmer's Market
    Sanibel and Captiva Chamber of Commerce and Visitors Center

Does anyone have any suggestions for the Sanibel / Fort Myers area? It'll be 2 of us and our kid (2.5 y/o). We plan on spending a lot of time at the beach, but wanted to find something else to do if it rains, we're burnt, etc.

20. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

21. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

22. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

is everyone okay?

23. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

Yeah just no power. Nothin’ damaged though so that’s great.

JimmyIymmiJ likes this.
  24. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

Anyone from Fort Lauderdale, or visit there frequently? I've been thinking about taking a long weekend this March. I need some relaxation time on a beach.

25. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

I live right above Ft. Laudy but I really don't know how useful I could be as far as providing info haha.

Matt likes this.