Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Florida Thread

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by joe727, Apr 8, 2016.

1. joe727

A DILAPIDATED BOAT! Prestigious

Figured since everywhere else is getting their own threads I should probably make one for Florida.

Share crazy Florida news stories, talk about ridiculous bi-polar weather, bitch about Rick Scott, talk about how awesome Cuban Sandwiches are, complain about snowbirds who can't drive worth a shit, ect.

2. joe727

Weather yesterday in Tampa Bay was particularly weird.

[​IMG]

Miss Heartcore likes this.
  3. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

I was born and raised in Tampa. Miss it a lot. Miss Cuban toast even more. The fact Publix is in Tennessee now makes it easier. Them sugar cookies with sprinkles. Pub subs. :hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes:

nl5011 likes this.
  4. Jose

weightless in the valley

I hate living south of Fort Lauderdale. Pretty sure there's been about like 5 concerts coming to Miami or Lauderdale that aren't big acts (or Pitbull but we'll ignore him). Shoutout to Publix and all the Cuban restaurants down in Kendall, my people make good food.

5. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

Grew up in that DUUUUVALLL.

but currently reside in tourist trap St.Augustine.

Anyone check out One Spark in Jax this weekend?

6. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

My parents moved to Miami about two years ago. Miami easily has some of the worst driving I've ever seen

Jose likes this.
  7. joe727

Publix subs are everything.

Also I was always partial to Publix's chocolate chewie cookies.

8. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

I have never been south of tampa. North florida is just ticks and hicks...

I hear miami is just so different from the rest of florida.

Jose likes this.
  9. windowbirds

close your eyes until tomorrow Supporter

Even though I was born in San Francisco, I've lived in West Palm my whole life and went to UCF.

10. windowbirds

[​IMG]
    I took this out in Wellington last year.

11. eight30

Regular

Orlando for most of my life. Florida sucks most of the time but when I left I missed it.

Jose likes this.
  12. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

I live in orlando for 2 years. in winter park. I enjoyed orlando, would def move back. Traffic is horrible though. but thats the consensus im getting from everywhere

13. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

I've lived in South Florida for basically my entire life. It's alright here sometimes, I guess.

Jose likes this.
  14. eight30

Regular

Yeah traffic is bad and I wish we had better or any public transportation really. I'm sad you called St Augustine a tourist trap because I genuinely love that place haha.

15. windowbirds

I've been regularly going to Orlando for the last 14 years and Colonial Drive still has road work going on.

16. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

Aw no offense! I loved it too when I visited from jax. But living here kinda sucks the life out of you. Everything's expensive, traffic sucks cuz there's only two roads to get anywhere. There's nothing but restaurant jobs. And the business owners along with most of the downtown property owners can be divided up into a group of 5-6 wealthy individuals. And the stories I've heard and experiences I've had with these individuals have been very shitty.

So it's like a horribly accurate microcosm of the nation.

There's no community, it's rich people from out of state, college kids from out of state. The locals are washups, burnouts, and the few people mislead into thinking it'd be fun to live here.

If I had more money to burn it'd be better. But on 8.05/hr in a place where the cheapest restaraunts are +$10 it's not easy.

17. eight30

Regular

I can see that. I've thought about living there but when I visit I only stay like 3 days max so I'll keep magic alive that way haha. It's probably mostly the nostalgia of visiting there as a kid.

angrycandy likes this.
  18. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

From Tallahassee and moved to Jax recently. Cannot wait to leave the state

19. Morrissey

Trusted

Going through Colonial to get from downtown to the UCF area is an experience that will ruin your week.

20. The_Effort

Regular Supporter

Grew up in Port St Lucie so I guess I kinda belong here

21. Brandon Allin

Finest Quality Crappy Punk Rock Since '92 Prestigious

I love Florida. Only ever been to Orlando and Tampa really, mostly for the theme parks, but always had a great time.

22. windowbirds

you meant every single day I was there for college.

23. Morrissey

Trusted

When I was working in Northwest Orlando near Lockhart and living on the East Coast I had to cross through all of that on a daily basis. I usually took 408-417-528 to get out of there but if I-4 was spilling into the 408 or there was an accident I had to either take back roads down to Kissimmee or endure Colonial. When I was in college I did not have a FastPass so I would regularly go from my UCF apartment to downtown and it could take upwards of an hour.

I likely would not move out of the state but the city setup is almost universally backwards. The new Orlando rail system is a nice start but the flatness of the city means you still need a car wherever you land.

24. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

[​IMG]

muttley and nl5011 like this.
  25. windowbirds

I worked at Disney my last year of college, so I had to buy an EPass to get to work but when my car was in the shop from an accident, I had to go all the way to Winter Park to get to I-4 just so I wouldn't have to go to downtown but sometimes you just had to go through downtown because Winter Park traffic was sometimes just as bad.