Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Florida Project (Sean Baker, October 6,2017) Movie • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Jjbush

I loved the depiction of reality it stirred up so much emotion in me. I did a video review and rant on Florida wages I think has a lot to do with homelessness you can watch it here

2. This was good. The more I think about the ending, the more I love it. It feels like the movie/director giving these kids the ending it/he wants for them, despite us all knowing how this ends in reality. Beautifully tragic.

Also, a lot of the footage in this movie feels like it's candid/stolen. The Disney World bit has to be.

3. TedSchmosby

Trusted

Yeah, the ending was filmed on an iPhone out of necessity

4. Joel Jan 4, 2018
    (Last edited: Jan 5, 2018)
    Joel

Trusted Prestigious

Not like that's exactly outside of Baker's usual methods haha

suicidesaints likes this.
  5. Morrissey

Trusted

I don't recognize the motel, but the ice cream place, the store with the wizard, and the orange place are all places I have either been to or driven by a hundred times. It is a surreal feeling.

6. Bruce Spence

I've been to florida

7. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

FINALLY watching this tonight

8. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Oh wow. That was fucking heartbreaking. Idk how anyone could dislike the ending. The fireworks scene had me all messed up

9. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

I still have a few to see but this might be the best movie of 2017.

10. Dog with a Blog

What else is on your list?

11. suicidesaints Jan 7, 2018
    (Last edited: Jan 7, 2018)
    suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

I have seen quite a bit but the list is longer than I originally thought... I don't expect anything remaining to really change my mind though.

Phantom Thread
    Molly's Game
    The Post
    Call Me By Your Name
    Dunkirk
    BPM
    The Square
    Darkest Hour
    Nocturama
    A Ghost Story
    Hostiles

12. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Lol wait what the fuck, Sean Baker made Greg the Bunny????

13. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

what?!?!

14. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Watching this right now. I...don’t get it? I’m a little over half way through. Don’t really want to watch the rest of it but I suppose I will.

15. Morrissey

Trusted

The ending really amplifies the lack of a solid message. It is a shame because so much of it is good, even if the decision to cast Dafoe opposite amateurs makes it feel a bit disjointed.

Dog with a Blog likes this.
  16. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Hmm. Yeah I didn't really like this. After sitting on it overnight, I like it more than I initially did after finishing it. Guess it's just not a movie for me.

17. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Tangerine was pretty great, though I enjoyed this much more.

For Tangerine: The chaos and comedy mixed with raw, unfiltered realness in the Donut Shop scene with the mother in law and wife was unlike many other films I’ve seen. Chester and the girls cracking jokes that are legitimately funny as the baby cries and the family falls apart fucked me up

18. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I loved this so much.

19. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

20. Just saw this, really liked it. Dafoe hitting the soda out of that guy’s hand may be the closest I’ve come to legitimately clapping in a movie theater ever haha.

Definitely in the “did not like the ending” camp, though. I actually was crying with Moonee and then that whole thing happened and ripped me right out of the watching experience entirely.

SpyKi and Dog with a Blog like this.
  21. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Lucas27 likes this.
  22. Lucas27

Trusted

Dog with a Blog likes this.
  23. recall reality

"But existing is basically all I do!" Prestigious

Joe likes this.
  24. Morrissey

Trusted

The ending is too jarring for it to fully work, which is a shame because of how thoughtful and fully realized the rest of the film is.

25. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

I liked the ending, but I will agree that it was a bit jarring.