Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Film Theory Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by DarkHotline, May 7, 2017.

1. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

So let's talk some film theory. I was watching Taxi Driver and I was listening to the film theory commentary track, I was so absorbed into it. So help a guy out, where can I go to learn some film theory? Also, let's discuss film theories in here while we're at it!

2. TedSchmosby

Trusted

Commentary tracks are my favourite place to go for some inside baseball. It's often not technical theory, obviously, but commentaries are starting to include editors, screenwriters and cinematographers along with directors and actors and it's a great place to pick stuff up

3. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

I don't have anything to add to this thread but I am totally down to learn.

4. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

I'm not sure if these really relate but Cinefix has some really good videos on Youtube that really explain all the intricacies of film making and how subtly little decisions can make or break a scene. Their lists usually have a specific style for the topic in each number, and I like that they show 3-4 examples for each number so they will actually give like 30 examples for a top 10 list. They've helped me to really see why movies like Citizen Cane or The Godfather or 2001 are considered to be the best of all time and what they did that was so amazing. This video was the one I watched that got me hooked on all of their videos.

DarkHotline likes this.
  5. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Wrapping up my Digital Filmmaking BFA this week, so I'm definitely going to need a place to discuss those strange, strange movies I love so much.

I recently purchased the Fantastic Planet and Tampopo Criterion releases and haven't had time to rewatch them. They are deeply strange, but very good and in Tampopo's case, quite funny.

The new Criterion blu-ray releases are beautiful too.

DarkHotline likes this.
  6. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

If I'm understanding what you're looking for properly, there'a a ton of great books out there. I tend to read director specific books, but they exist in many forms. The essays included with certain blu-rays are good, especially Criterion ones. They've also usually got great supplements that offer more insight into the films or movements the films were a part of.

JRGComedy likes this.
  7. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Ya Criterion is good

8. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

This is a really solid video about cinematography and how it can be used to tell a story.