Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Female Artists Thread • Page 7

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

I am really loving SHEER MAG right now.

2. The_Effort

Regular Supporter

Thanks to a thread I stumbled onto the other day I've fallen in love with the work of Nina Simone.. Please do yourselves a favor and listen to sings the blues and high priestess of soul

3. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

@Penguin Those two videos you posted aren't my thing but they're definitely not bad. I'm glad you/people are suggesting diverse music bc you never know what bands you're going to check out and fall in love with. :thumbup:

Penguin likes this.
  4. wanielledalsh

Hunger makes me a modern girl

The Julie Ruin are releasing something new July 8th.

KidLightning likes this.
  5. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

Hell yea. Finally someone recc'd my Absolute 100 pick. Might be working on something with them for this site next week hopefully.

ChrisCantWrite likes this.
  6. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

We're from the same town so I'd love nothing more than for them to get more exposure.

7. @irthesteve

Who was the artist you told me on AP.net to add to my list that you thought may have a Betty Who like release this year?

It was Zara Larsson.

OwainGlyndwr likes this.
  8. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

it indeed was! I feel like her deubt album 1 has elements of Betty Who, Carly Rae, Rihanna, and a few others and is a fun listen. She also recorded it when she was 15 (wtf!). BUT I really love her new single "Lush Life" from her second album, out this year at some point, and I think there is a ton of promise for her. She also happens to be at the top of the charts with "Never Forget You," a duet, but I am not as into that song as Lush. Anywhoo, I hope her album is awesome

Jason Tate likes this.
  9. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Hop along been mentioned yet?

10. The_Effort

Regular Supporter

In 2008 I bought an album called "Love, Save The Empty" by Erin McCarly just because I saw it featured on a site I was on and it was reviewed well or something so I got it on a whim.

Still listen to it regularly. Really great feel to the whole thing and her approach to writing singer-songwriter style pop has stuck with me.

No idea if she ever had a follow-up. Guess I should check.

Edit: checked- she does have a sophomore album. Gonna pick that up on iTunes when I get home.

11. trevorshmevor Apr 10, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 10, 2016)
    The Internet. I swear not enough people talk about them around these parts. Ego Death is such a great record!

Other than that, I've been listening to that new Tancred album a lot lately. The Japanese House is always great. And of course, Daughter is a must if you're still sleeping on them. Kehlani and Chairlift are a couple of others that come to mind.

Owlex and Robk like this.
  12. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I saw her open for Mat Kearney once. She was talented, I liked her songs.

Robk likes this.
  13. Orla Apr 10, 2016
    Orla

little old lady Prestigious

Stumbled upon this video today of a Polish band named Lor and became hooked. They have a handful of original tracks plus a cover of Aurora's "Murder Song" on YouTube at the moment, and will be releasing a record in the fall.

RIYL: Therese Aune, Birdy, Little May

14. Owlex

free snewt Prestigious

Been kinda obsessed with this song tbh, psych-pop is what you'd call it I guess?

15. Collins Apr 10, 2016
    Collins

Trusted

I've been obsessed with Waxahatchee for the past year. Love all three of her albums and she is wonderful live.

Lucy Rose is another that I've been into. She's great.

I heard an Alice Jemima tune on college radio a few years back. She had a 4 song EP which was great and did a few covers. Looks like she's finally recording something new now.

16. TerrancePryor

https://mp3sandnpcs.com/ Prestigious

17. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

rt - Waxahatchee is so good

18. jean-luc davis

Shut the FFFFFFRESHFISH UP

I have heard a bunch of the women/bands listed here and love much of their music (especially Julien Baker, Now Now, FKA Twigs to name a few), but there's a bunch more I haven't and I'll have to remedy that very soon.

Two of my favorite female artists that I don't think I saw listed here are Kimya Dawson (Moldy Peaches; The Uncluded with Aesop Rock) and Janelle Monae. Like seriously, both of them are simply phenomenal.

AelNire likes this.
  19. loudasallgetout

Trusted Supporter

The Weather Station is a good Canadian gal.

20. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Saw the Lippies live last week. I think their front woman is great. I hope she becomes a real force in the punk scene. Their new album is great as well.

21. bd007h

chorus.fm's resident Meg Myers fan #GoSabres/Bills

Kimya Dawson was featured on the Third Eye Blind track "Self-Righteous"

She opened up for them the first time I saw them and the crowd wasn't into it. I thought she was alright but not something I felt like looking into more at the time lol. That was 12 years ago though so maybe I'd be more into it now haha.

22. White

Cum for the Cum God. Prestigious

Kyojaku, all-girl math rock band, with some vague jazzy and post-rock elements.

The End of the Ocean, 40% girl band; very big, so to speak, epic sounding post-rock, sorta in the vein of This Will Destroy You's Young Mountain.

23. jean-luc davis

Shut the FFFFFFRESHFISH UP

I would definitely suggest you revisit her music. She's a folk singer through and through, her music is super simple most of the time but it's all about the lyrics and the emotions she pours into them, talking about death and abuse and addiction. But you also can't take her too seriously sometimes because she also makes songs about riding her bike and libraries and sandwiches lol. Her music can be a bit of an emotional roller coaster but it's part of what makes her such a great artist in my opinion. I would say her most recent album "Thunder Thighs" is her most accessible, and her writing on The Uncluded's "Hokey Fright" is some of her best.

AelNire and bd007h like this.
  24. carina

yr royal highness

i love them, an instant classic,

SpyKi and phillyfradet like this.
  25. OwainGlyndwr

I am the Aleutian allusion illusion Supporter

You guys should definitely listen to Olivia Broadfield. Everything she's put out is amazing.

Seriously. My favorite female musician, hands down.