Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Female Artists Thread • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. St. Nate Apr 6, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 6, 2016)
    St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

Yeah, I think it's cause most people perusing youtube for music are looking for covers of top 40 hits, so they're mostly radio listeners in general.

That's great that it's been positive for you. YouTube and music has been interesting for me. I think it's been very positive for the Asian creatives. Many of the big cover artists (at least a few years back when I payed attention) were Asian, and guys like Ryan Higa and Kevjumba have entertained millions with their comedy sketches, but they would never of gotten a shot in the traditional entertainment business. So it's done a lot for diversity and visibility. Sadly, while many of my friends loved music from those YouTube, I didn't, preferring the AP.net scene which was mostly white guys. So I'd feel doubly as odd and left out.

2. Tom Lee

Regular

I sorta agree with this.

At the moment, I love Nicole Dollanganger.

3. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

@St. Nate It's definitely not without its problems, but I'd feel comfortable calling it one of the more inclusive artistic mediums. I mentioned a little bit in the Entertainment Representation thread that Hannah Hart is the first time I've ever seen someone who looks like me pretty much ever in media. It's not without its issues, but it's been very good to the LGBTQA+ community and I also feel that it's been good to women. The way the community handled the Sam Pepper situation was pretty great. I'm excited to watch it grow over the years.

St. Nate likes this.
  4. Tomozaurus

Regular

Jake W likes this.
  5. bd007h Apr 6, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 6, 2016)
    bd007h

chorus.fm's resident Meg Myers fan #GoSabres/Bills

That's probably why I don't care much about youtube artists hahaha, because I can't stand top 40 radio, and that's what they typically tend to cover.

6. Birdie

7. Tomozaurus

Regular

Anyone mentioned Lady Lamb/Lady Lamb The Beekeeper in this thread yet?

bd007h likes this.
  8. AJ Earhart

get off my case

Saw this posted on reddit a few months back and her stuff is great. No album or EP yet, just a few songs.

Essie likes this.
  9. bd007h

I trust the judgement of anyone with a 3eb avatar. Great song! I'll have to keep an eye out for her :)

10. kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

Nicole Atkins. If this performance doesn't blow your mind, then I just don't know what to tell ya.

11. carina

yr royal highness

my favorite track on badlands:

anna wise, constant collaborator with kendrick:

mary lambert, piano driven pop i guess idk:

willow smith, better than all of us at 15:

12. carina

yr royal highness

dog party, fun punx:

hayley kiyoko:

lolawolf:

vagabon:

13. carina

yr royal highness

sunnycide (atl ~ambient rock~):

ego audere (young fledging musician babies):

natalie noble (folksy pop):

Essie likes this.
  14. ant

edit: I'll probably get banned for this because everyone on the internet is overly sensitive these days, so I'll check out.

15. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

16. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

I said your post made me uncomfortable. I'm completely willing to hear your thoughts and have a dialogue with you. It's a shame you're shutting me down immediately and not interested in granting me that same respect with an instant brush off of "everyone's too sensitive"

17. The_Effort

Regular Supporter

Has Chelsea Wolfe been mentioned yet? You all should check out Chelsea Wolfe

18. vein.ftm

Trusted Prestigious

Jenny Lee's Right On is a good one

19. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

Joni Mitchell

20. White

Cum for the Cum God. Prestigious

Also Kacy Hill is absurdly gorgeous, which is kinda nice.

21. bd007h Apr 7, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 7, 2016)
    bd007h

That's a small reason of why I like Meg Myers, but her music is just that good as well hahaha.

22. The_Effort

Regular Supporter

This may not be my place to say, but why even bring looks up at all here? Feels weirdly reductive (idk if that's the right word)

23. bd007h

meh I don't see an issue with discussing the attractiveness of musicians, male or female, but I guess I can see where you're coming from, because it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with their music. I wasn't gonna mention that I find Meg Myers quite attractive because I think her music speaks for itself, but after his post I thought I'd mention it haha. Although I think her music is awesome regardless of her attractiveness. But it doesn't hurt haha

24. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

Robk and morgantayler like this.
  25. Penguin Apr 8, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 8, 2016)
    Penguin

just let me cry a little bit longer Prestigious

I know this type of music isn't super popular on here anymore, but I found this band last night and thought they sounded pretty cool. Female singer + female drummer.

Also re: Youtube discussion: I personally don't really care as long as the band is good. I've been addicted to ATC's EPs for a while but I'm pretty sure they started out doing Youtube covers (since they have a million of them...)

OwainGlyndwr likes this.