Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Female Artists Thread • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

@Essie I love Oh Land SO HARD lol

I'm so impressed by this thread right now. Awesome recommendations!

Essie and bd007h like this.
  2. bd007h

chorus.fm's resident Meg Myers fan #GoSabres/Bills

Yeah Meg Myers is pretty awesome ;-) RIYL Fiona Apple, PJ Harvey, Elle King, Lana Del Rey, Lorde, St. Vincent, etc.

I also recently started getting into Wolf Alice, CHVRCHES and PVRIS.

Garbage is one of my all-time favorite female-fronted rock bands :thumbup:

Robk and AelNire like this.
  3. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

OwainGlyndwr likes this.
  4. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

I need to re-listen to St. Vincent. It's been a while.

5. carina

yr royal highness

6. carina

yr royal highness

also an old fave

7. carina

yr royal highness

also, favorite locals:

8. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

I'm a sucker for covers and a friend of mine sent me a link to Andie Case. She has some original songs and close to 1 million subscribers but this is my 1st time hearing about her and I thought I would share.

9. Tomozaurus

Regular

Saw the title of this thread and came in to recommend Meg Myers and Wolf Alice only to see you hit them both already. Good musical taste sir.

But yeah, both these artists/bands are incredible and are extremely high on my listening rotation right now.
    I agree with all the recommendations for Meg Myers so far.

For Wolf Alice, I want to throw out a recommendation for The Wonderwhy. Great track:

bd007h likes this.
  10. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

Lake Street Dive have two women in the band. Rachel is the lead singer, and Bridget writes a lot of the songs.

Essie likes this.
  11. Orla Apr 4, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 4, 2016)
    Orla

little old lady Prestigious

Boston native Glasser constructs frenetic seas of electronic noises somewhere between Phantogram and Tune-Yards.

Minnesota's Haley Bonar writes the kind of Americana that fits perfectly on a playlist next to Jenny Lewis and La Sera.

Laura Viers is a singer-songrwriter living in Portland with a consistently outstanding pop-folk catalogue nine albums deep.

12. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

There are a ton of bands on Saddle Creek worth checking out. Land of Talk is my favorite.

Essie likes this.
  13. bd007h Apr 4, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 4, 2016)
    bd007h

You have impeccable taste, too, my friend! :ok:

Saw Wolf Alice along with Third Eye Blind back in December.

Still need to see Meg Myers live. She played in my area last May but it was the same day as my best friend's wedding in which I was a groomsman :(.

I've started threads on both artists :thumbup:

Tomozaurus likes this.
  14. Tomozaurus

Regular

Well I live in Australia, so Wolf Alice haven't been here since I got into them and I would be surprised if Meg Myers has ever been here.

15. bd007h

Yeah I hope Meg makes it back to Rochester or Buffalo, NY on her next tour.

Tomozaurus likes this.
  16. Anti-Counter-Culture

Regular

Joanna Newsom is my favorite female musician working right now.

Essie likes this.
  17. Penguin

just let me cry a little bit longer Prestigious

18. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

19. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

This comment makes me incredibly uncomfortable. If you're not into people who make music on YouTube (covers, originals, whatever) that's fine. But it makes me uncomfortable how directly aimed at women this is. Granted this is the female artist thread so maybe that's why, but either way your language here really rubs me the wrong way.

There are also some great people making music on YouTube. Kina Grannis came from the YouTube world and her album Elements is definitely worth checking out.

Robk and St. Nate like this.
  20. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

@Meerkat Thanks. I didn't know how to respond so I just didn't say anything. :heart:

Meerkat likes this.
  21. Meerkat

Yasqueen4 and bd007h like this.
  22. Meerkat

Also, speaking of Kina Grannis

Jason Tate likes this.
  23. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

I love Kina Grannis, she's swell.

I'm not a fan of the whole YouTube music scene, despite meeting AJ Rafael a few times, but whatever route you wanna go to be a musician, go for it.

Meerkat likes this.
  24. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

25. Meerkat

I think YouTube in general is an incredibly interesting platform. As far as musicians go, I've seen a lot of singers/bands who started out with doing covers (regardless of quality) have had a tough time branching into getting people invested in their original music.
    It's been pretty great for drumming though. This may be more a conversation for another thread (perhaps the drum thread if people would prefer) but a lot of musicians who post play through covers have gotten big gigs because of it. It's also created an incredibly rich educational sector for drumming that I'm excited to watch grow and evolve over time.