Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Female Artists Thread • Page 37

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Anyone hear of Emily King? Just heard a track from her new album "Scenery" via the New Music Friday Spotify playlist. Just a beautiful track; will now have to check out the full album

2. vein.ftm

Trusted Prestigious

Why no Clario on Apple music?

3. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

She definitely is unless you used the typo Clario haha

bradsonemanband and Youarcade like this.
  4. vein.ftm

Trusted Prestigious

Wow I'm an idiot lol, thanks!

bradsonemanband likes this.
  5. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

In love with this song

bradsonemanband likes this.
  6. Yeah, this rules! Gonna listen to their whole album today.

Ferrari333SP likes this.
  7. Soccer Mommy just announced an LA show co-headlining with Hop Along. I hadn't heard of them, so I checked out their Tiny Desk set and it clicked for me right away.

Too many shows. I'm gonna be broke.

mad likes this.
  8. SoundscapeMN

Regular

new Amanda Palmer album is going to be epic as hell.

All Media Reviews: Amanda Palmer - There Will Be No Intermission (2018-2019)

20 tracks, 10 instrumentals, and 77 minutes.

1. All the Things 1:23
    2. The Ride 10:13
    3. Congratulations 0:37
    4. Drowning in the Sound 5:45
    5. Hold on Tight, Darling 0:40
    6. The Thing About Things 5:35
    7. Life's Such a Bitch Isn't It 0:33
    8. Judy Blume 6:45
    9. Feeding the Dark 0:20
    10. Bigger on the Inside 8:29
    11. There Will Be No Intermission 1:01
    12. Machete 6:09
    13. You Know the Statistics 0:38
    14. Voicemail for Jill 5:34
    15. You'd Think I'd Shot Their Chicken 1:43
    16. A Mother's Confession 10:37
    17. They're Saying Not to Panic 0:27
    18. Look Mummy, No Hands 5:30
    19. Intermission Is Relative 0:54
    20. Death Thing 5:00

9. bd007h

chorus.fm's resident Meg Myers fan #GoSabres/Bills

Meg Myers Just announced she'll be releasing a cover of Kate Bush's "Running Up That Hill" on March 8th, with teaser clips being released periodically leading up to it's release.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  10. K0ta

wrap yourself in petals for armor.

I can't believe this song went under my radar for this long, I feel like there was a definitive time in my life as a queer before and after this song and I will never be the same wow

morgantayler likes this.
  11. bd007h likes this.
  12. bd007h

Pretty great lineup

irthesteve likes this.
  13. bd007h

Meg Myers' cover of Kate Bush's "Running Up That Hill" is out tomorrow :thumbup:

14. bd007h

15. K0ta

I miss this band so fucking much. I just listened to Dark Storm for the first time in awhile, discovered this about 9 years ago and imported it from AU because it absolutely blew my mind.

Wish they would come back to the US soon, I only saw them once and it's been a few years since then. I see that they're touring in AU since Heather got better so I hope so....

16. Lex

the horizon is my home

I discovered this band a few months back. They are one of my favorite recent finds!

K0ta likes this.
  17. K0ta

They're pretty incredible! Musically and lyrically. I don't hear enough about them honestly.

18. Lex

the horizon is my home

Agreed. I hope they have a decent following in Australia, but I don't know. A lot of Aussie bands don't breakout in the States. Same goes for foreign acts in general I suppose.

K0ta likes this.
  19. K0ta

I think they have a decent following in AUS from what I hear, but when I saw them here (NY) it was at a 575 capacity venue so I don't know how worth it is to come out over here. They did open for Depeche Mode in EU so maybe they're bigger there, idk.

20. Lex

the horizon is my home

I hope they are doing well because they really deserve it. It's a shame that it's so costly to get over here. I agree that it might not be worth it for them if they don't see themselves growing in popularity here. Or maybe they are just being picky, like, it has to be a REALLY great opportunity to play abroad because their profits are too low to make it generally worthwhile.

K0ta likes this.
  21. bd007h

Meg Myers' performance at NPR's Tiny Desk back in December is out now.

Write up on NPR's website

Meg Myers put out one of 2018's most intense and cathartic albums. Take Me to the Disco raged and threw sonic punches at anyone who'd ever attempted to use or abuse her, from former record executives to past lovers. Dressed in a sparkling blue leotard, Myers re-creates that fire and ferocity behind the Tiny Desk, replacing her album's roaring electric guitars and electronics with a pulsing string quartet, piano and brushed drums.

But the most intense part of the performance is Myers herself. The distant, piercing looks she gives during the set's opening cut, "Jealous Sea," are unforgettable and unforgiving as she sings about a rat's nest of feelings — anger, fear, jealousy, desire — over an ex. "Everything's right, everything's wrong / When you call my name," she sings while half-hugging herself. "And I don't think I can stop the jealousy / When it comes, it comes like waves and I can't breathe."

Myers follows with a searing version of what she calls "a very lovely, uplifting song" from Take Me to the Disco called "Tear Me to Pieces," a frenzied takedown of liars, buried secrets and "wicked temptations." She then dials back the fury and indignation to close with a surprising version of "Running Up That Hill" by Kate Bush. Myers is a longtime fan, and often gets compared to the British singer. But Myers tells the audience she fell in love with the song for its meaning. "It's about men and women and the differences between them, and learning to have empathy for each other."

At the end of it all, standing behind the desk, Myers seems to finally exhale and let go of the fury as she paws playfully at her band, grateful to have gotten through it together.

SET LIST
    "Jealous Sea"

"Tear Me to Pieces"

"Running Up That Hill"

MUSICIANS
    Meg Myers: bass, vocals; Jared Shavelson: drums, percussion; Josh Rheault: keys; Kristin Bakkegard: violin; Livy Amoruso: violin; Paul Bagley: viola; Carol Anne Bosco: cello

CREDITS
    Producers: Robin Hilton, Morgan Noelle Smith; Creative Director: Bob Boilen; Audio Engineer: Josh Rogosin; Videographers: Morgan Noelle Smith, Kaylee Domzalski, Kara Frame, Maia Stern; Editor: Kaylee Domzalski; Photo: Cameron Pollack/NPR

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  22. bd007h

This is being livestreamed tonight. 10 PM EST

23. bd007h

Meg Myers, K.Flay, Donna Missal, and St. Vincent after the Women Who Rock event last night. That's a lot of badassery in one photo.

[​IMG]

24. bd007h

Meg Myers' performance of Kate Bush's Running Up That Hill at iHeartRadio's Women Who Rock event on International Women's Day