Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Female Artists Thread • Page 36

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. bd007h

chorus.fm's resident Meg Myers fan #GoSabres/Bills

Meg Myers' Take Me To The Disco comes in at 18 on UPROXX's Must Hear Rock Albums of 2018. Nice to see her getting some much deserved praise.

20 Must-Hear Rock Albums From 2018

2. xkaylinh Dec 12, 2018
    (Last edited: Dec 12, 2018)
    Giving The Jezabels another shot. I liked their first three EPs but wasn't too into their first album. They've released two more albums since, so I got some catching up to do before I cancel my Spotify Premium. Hopefully this goes like how I rediscovered and fell in love with Thao and the Get Down Stay Down.

Also need to listen to Snail Mail.

CarpetElf likes this.
  3. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

out of nowhere, ELIZA (formerly Eliza Doolittle) released a new album today

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  4. Hmm

'Women In Rock' Is Dead; Long Live Women In Rock

I get why threads like this one are so important, and I've found a lot of my recent favorite artists through it, and I don't think anyone in here is actually lumping artists together just because they're women without actually listening to and appreciating their music, but I do feel like this article is worth reading to reflect on our own listening habits and how we talk about the music we like and the people who make it

5. irthesteve

CarpetElf and Lex like this.
  6. irthesteve

CarpetElf likes this.
  7. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

Can we change the thread name to like “Sick Female Artists Thread”

I want it to be emphasized that the women posted here are like really sick and it’s chill and cool

8. irthesteve

the only problem is that people might worry about their health! Maybe "Badass Female Musicians" or something

9. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

Nah it’s gotta be Sick, badass sounds corny. And there are some real sick non bad ass female musicians, I wanna hear that stuff.

irthesteve and CarpetElf like this.
  10. I just imagined Peter Quill saying, "She's badass," then Drax saying, "What's wrong with her anus?"

CarpetElf likes this.
  11. Oh no, did my butt joke kill this thread? Oh well, time to revive it. Something something Phoenix Down joke.

12. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

13. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

Buke & Gase has an album out today that’s awesome. It’s experimental pop stuff so RIYL that kind of music

T.J. likes this.
  14. omg I just remembered Michelle Branch is Asian.

Anyway, I finally got a hold of a Spirit Room CD. I never did like all of the songs on it, but the good ones still hold up.

After Years of Record-Label Limbo, Michelle Branch Can Tell You That She’s Happy Now

(I also got a copy of Vanessa Carlton's Harmonium, after White Houses had been stuck in my head for the past two weeks. Trip down nostalgia lane, I guess.)

I need to catch up on a lot of things. Haven't checked out the newest from Michelle Branch, Vanessa Carlton, Avril Lavigne, and about a dozen (male-fronted) bands, the latter of which I kinda sorta lost interest in? Been listening almost exclusively to female artists for about two years now.

15. Oh, also got into Snail Mail! And then I was like, Wait, she's gay? It's a pleasant surprise; I think I checked out Tegan and Sara in the first place because they were described as being gay twins, so it's nice when that discovery happens the other way around.

CarpetElf likes this.
  16. Didn't get into the latest Michelle Branch but her unreleased stuff is gold. Wonder where she will go next.

bd007h likes this.
  17. This reminds me of another Asian musician I hadn't heard from in a while: Dia Frampton.

I’d Get to the Top of the Mountain if It Would Just Stop Fucking Growing

18. irthesteve

I love Dia

19. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

bd007h and whitenblue88 like this.
  20. xkaylinh Jan 27, 2019
    (Last edited: Jan 27, 2019)
    I buy from Amoeba online once and I start getting their newsletter. If there was a way to opt out, apparently I didn't. I guess I'm okay with that.

Anyway, I noticed Girlpool is playing there and doing a signing in a few days, but I've never listened to them.

edit: Didn't really like their Tiny Desk performance that much. I'll keep trying, but this might be Angel Olsen all over again. I guess at least this solidifies that I listen to female artists because I like them, not because they're female, so there's that.

21. Heyo, here's one of my faves, talking about some important stuff like self acceptance and such, from her... bathtub, I guess??? Anyways, take care of yourselves.

(Also check out her music! She only has three songs out so far, but I think her album is going to be really good.)

22. bd007h

chorus.fm's resident Meg Myers fan #GoSabres/Bills

Anyone familiar with Slothrust? Meg Myers just shared this cover on her social media last night and it's killer :thumbup:

23. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

New Highasakite album "Uranium Heart" is out Friday/tomorrow. Music itself has been pared back a bit, putting more emphasis on Ingrid's voice, which is pretty fantastic. Highly recommend checking out

whitenblue88 likes this.
  24. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

I’m bummed by the lack of bops, but there’s some good stuff on here

Ferrari333SP likes this.
  25. mad

I was right. Prestigious