Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Farewell (Lulu Wang - Sundance 2019/A24) Movie • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Dog with a Blog, May 6, 2019.

1. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

I thought this would be very Hallmark and it was actually quite genuine, the emotional beats felt earned. Not my favorite of the year or anything, but it is very good.

DrAlanGrant likes this.
  2. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

This is honestly probably gonna go down as my favorite film of 2019. Just felt really warm & soft in a way that’s really been my vibe this year, lol.

DrAlanGrant likes this.
  3. username

hey you lil piss baby

Still Walking is incredible though and everyone who liked this should definitely take a look at it.

yung_ting likes this.
  4. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

I mean, I hope nobody went into this expecting it’d be Kore-eda tier

5. username

hey you lil piss baby

There is definitely a parallel to be drawn between this work and stuff by Kore-eda or others in how this takes a sort of Western aesthetic-narrative approach (I mean this objectively not as a good or bad thing) to the Asian family drama that has basically become some sort of tradition in cinema (obviously Ozu sits at the top of this but there are countless others, Kore-eda included). If anyone has seen or ever does see a piece that approaches this, I would be very interested in reading it!

yung_ting likes this.
  6. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Mrplum5089 and joe.boy.fresh. like this.
  7. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

8. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

phaynes12 and aoftbsten like this.
  9. iCarly Rae Jepsen

10. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Also, got this for Christmas & ended up watching it twice in one day 'cause my dad walked in at the end & wanted to watch it. He'd heard me talk about it before. It's funny, when he talked about being interested in it, his curiosity in a film about a different cultural experience was partially fueled by people tied to Fox News, I think related to Jewish culture or something. But, yeah, he really enjoyed it, which was cool.

I ultimately did settle on it being my favorite film of 2019.

joe.boy.fresh. likes this.
  11. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

12. iCarly Rae Jepsen

PatRFinley and phaynes12 like this.
  13. Morrissey

Trusted

She is right. It is such a risk, because if the film had not gotten a positive reception she probably would have preferred the money and the long-term availability of it being available on Netflix or whatever streaming platform she is referring to. Netflix loves to announce when they get a name like Adam Sandler or Martin Scorsese but if you look at a list of films they have "released", there is a lot no one heard of.

14. PatRFinley

Early Onset Grump LFGM Supporter

I just watched this and cried like a baby when the family left China and the grandmother started crying. What a movie

15. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

prime 2/12

aoftbsten likes this.
  16. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

just came in here for this information, thank you.

17. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

18. iCarly Rae Jepsen

19. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

this was lovely in such a small way that felt so large

Lucas27 likes this.
  20. Lucas27

Trusted

Beautiful film. Not my favorite from 2019, but totally deserving of all the praise it got. Right with @Garrett L. in how small yet significant it feels especially in the little moments. It reminded me of a gentler, less gutting Manchester by the Sea.

21. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

leaves prime in two weeks

ChaseTx likes this.