Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Fantasy/Sci-Fi Books Thread Book

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by The Lucky Moose, Oct 30, 2016.

1. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

I don't think a thread like this exists here, so I figured I'd start one.

I use Audible to help me fall asleep, and I largely listen to fantasy books (in that specific situation that is). Because I am a horrible sleeper, I listen to A LOT of them, "good" and "bad". So yeah, I have kind of turned into an armchair expert on the genre, which is a completely useless skill :thumbup:

I'm currently listening to the second to last book (Linkershim) in the Sovereign of The Seven Isles series by David A. Wells. The series is full of plot holes and it has some libertarian undertones that feel kind of crude at points, but I still like it, mostly because I like fantasy series with arguably too many books in them (#WheelOfTimeOrDie).

Any other fans/victims of the fantasy genre out there?

Fletchaaa likes this.
  2. Fletchaaa

Trusted Supporter

Fantasy is probably my favorite genre although I really like mystery and suspenseful type novels too.

Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss is probably my favorite along with A Song Of Ice And Fire by George R R Martin. Brandon Sanderson has also written a bunch I really enjoy (mistborn most notably). Scott Lynch is another great author who is writing the ongoing Gentlemen Bastard Series.

3. The Lucky Moose

A Song Of Ice And Fire has been great so far so I hope he can wrap it up in a satisfactory way.

Brandon Sanderson's whole Mistborn universe is great. I think the Wax and Wayne series is a great addition to the original trilogy. I also really like Sanderson's Stormlight Archive series.

Gentleman Bastard is probably my favorite current series. I can't wait for the next one, whenever that will be.

4. Fletchaaa

Trusted Supporter

At least Brandon Sanderson writes like crazy, all of the other authors I mentioned take forever haha . Have you read A Darker Shade Of Magic? Another good series

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  5. The Lucky Moose

No, I'll check it out!

6. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

Ursula k le guin's Earthsea series is very good.

7. The Lucky Moose

I also really enjoyed the Cycle of Arawn trilogy. The first one was pretty rough, but the rest is a lot of fun. The sequel trilogy The Cycle of Galand is also great so far.

8. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I thought this thread was about drafting characters to make a Frankenstein monster of a novel.

9. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

Has anyone read anything by Michael J. Sullivan? Thinking of trying out either Theft of Swords (book 1 of Riyria Revelations) or Age of Myth (book 1 of The Legends of the First Empire). He has really good reviews/scores on goodreads/audible.

10. The Lucky Moose

I have looked into his stuff a while ago. Theft Of Swords is definitly on my wishlist.

11. Dave Diddy

I started listening to Theft of Swords on Audible and so far I'm really enjoying it. Seems like it's going to be a really good adventure/fantasy book.

12. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Wanted to ask someone about this for a while... when someone says they fall asleep listening to a book how do you know where to start from the next night?!

In other news, I do like fantasy books. Been trying to read a book a week this year but mainly free 'classics' from the Kindle store so will try and check out some books in this thread.

13. The Lucky Moose

@awakeohsleeper I usually fall asleep in increments, meaning I mostly realize when I'm about to pass out, leaving me with just enough energy to put my iPhone on the nightstand. Otherwise, I just scroll back until I hear something familiar.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  14. The Lucky Moose

I heard that it is somewhat like the Gentleman Bastards series. Would you agree with that?

15. Dave Diddy

Ummmm that's kinda tough to say at this point, it's a 22 hour audiobook and I've listened to like 2 or 3 hours. So i'll have to get back to you on that. It has some humor in it and the main characters are thieves, but outside of that it's probably too early for me to say.

16. The Lucky Moose

I was just about to buy Theft Of Swords when I saw that Audible removed it from their store (at least in my territory).

EDIT: They added a different version. Weird.

17. The Lucky Moose

Also, has anyone here read the Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series? If yes, any thoughts on it or series it can be compared to?

18. Dave Diddy

I have about 5 hours left in Theft of Swords. It's weird cause I'm still enjoying it, but it hasn't blown me away as a "holy shit this is really good" kind of book. I'm always looking for that next ASOIAF, Dark Tower, etc, and that's probably not fair. Theft of Swords is enjoyable and fun and maybe that's all that should matter.

19. The Lucky Moose

I'm always looking for the next Wheel of Time :crylaugh:

20. Dave Diddy

Has anyone read the Expanse series by James S.A. Corey? I've finished the first 2 books and I've enjoyed them quite a bit. Curious to see if anyone has read all 6 that have been released so far and what their thoughts are as the series progressed?

21. The Lucky Moose

Are you talking about the science fiction series? I haven't read any off it, but I want to.

Since the last time I posted here I finished the Sovereign Of The Seven Isles series. I don't have much to say that I haven't already said, except that it does not really stick the landing. It's a pretty fun read regardless.

I'm also almost done with the Riyria Revelations series. I like it a lot. It's a lot like the Gentleman Bastard series, although maybe just a little bit less depressing. It definitly picks up steam in the later half of the series, partly because it takes its time to actually introduce the big threat. It also kind of reminds me of The Cycle Of Arawn/The Cycle Of Galand, in terms of how the two main characters are.

22. crazy nate

Harumph

Katharine Kerr's Deverry series was pretty great when I read it more than a decade ago.

The Drizzt books had me hooked for a stretch, but I lost interest when the love triangle stuff became a constant theme.

23. Dave Diddy

24. The Lucky Moose

I'm currently working my way through the Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series. It had a slow start but it's really good.

25. Dave Diddy

I've never read any Tad Williams but I should probably change that. Thing is, I'm only on book 4 of Wheel of Time so I've got a lot of reading to do before I can worry about starting another fantasy series.