Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Fantasy/Sci-Fi Books Thread Book • Page 8

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by The Lucky Moose, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Fletchaaa

Trusted Supporter

I'm tempted to start his 10 book series but I also don't want to have another series to wait on forever

theagentcoma likes this.
  2. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Do it. You won’t regret it. Like fifteen of us around here have read the first three and we like to incoherently scream together.

The Lucky Moose and GBlades like this.
  3. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

yeah I'm definitely moving onto that next

4. GBlades

Trusted

Posted in the Cosmere thread too but look what my storming good girlfriend got me!! The only Sanderson book j didn't have and a hand-made SA shirt with a very relatable quote .[​IMG]

theagentcoma likes this.
  5. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

Bought Gardens of the Moon today. Will be here by Sunday. Wanted to start a brand new series that I could sink my teeth into and melt my mind over to kick off 2019 with this. This should do the trick.

Judging by how difficult and complex the series is I’m debating, depending on how much I enjoy GotM, I may read each book twice in a row before moving on to help me follow along better.

theagentcoma likes this.
  6. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

@yeknom By the way, I'm all in on Bakker at this point. I'm on the second book of Aspect Emperor, White Luck Warrior and I'm already loving the second series more than the first, though I adored the Thousandfold Thought. It's definitely my main reading priority at this point.

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  7. Vivatoto

It's the best in the world. I would argue it would be better to power through and reread once you start getting some major revelations down the line because it completely changes the way you will look at the early books. I don't believe the series is very hard to follow as long as you keep going and don't give up if something doesn't make sense now (because it probably won't make sense until the you read the prequels which must be read after the series, lol)

theagentcoma and The Lucky Moose like this.
  8. theagentcoma

Yesss welcome to the best series in the world

9. marsupial jones

Had to reorder the book. Should have it by Monday. Amazon decided to send me a glass Pixel 3 phone case instead. Stupid fuckers. Wonder if my order got mixed with someone else’s. If so, I bet they’re pissed lol

10. nomemorial

you're in a cult, call your dad

Mom bought me Warbreaker, Words of Radiance, and Oathbringer for Christmas. Thanks, mom, now I'm never leaving home again.

11. marsupial jones

Yeah, i can tell i'm gonna love this series. :thumbup:

will be starting chapter 3 today. not sure if i want to read it fast, or if i want to (try) and take my time with it.
    i agree that it's not as complicated or hard to follow as a majority of Goodreads reviews (and other places) say. even though i don't have a lot of experience with high fantasy, i have read the 5 ASOIAF books, which i actually think are probably more confusing than this has been so far. with that said though, i do read with a notebook next to me and write down all the names and places and things mentioned (pretty much anything with a capital letter) so i can either look it up in the glossary or at least mentally make a note of it. lots going on and overall some "background" stuff is vague and whatnot, but i like that and it doesn't take away from what's happening and doesn't make it hard to follow along.

theagentcoma likes this.
  12. Vivatoto Jan 2, 2019
    (Last edited: Jan 2, 2019)
    Vivatoto

Keep us updated! I had the most rewarding experience ever last year reading them and like I mentioned to Dave Diddy, it really becomes something special around book 6. I definitely didn't have as much trouble with it as I did with ASOIAF but I read ASOIAF super early on in my fantasy reading so I was fairly new to the genre. Again I have to stress the ICE books are very necessary to the experience. Even a few Gardens of the Moon characters get their conclusions in ICE and not the Book of the Fallen.

There is also a Malazan reading group thread that I think should just revert to a Malazan thread and everyone should talk about it all the time, especially since there's a new ICE book next month and Erikson is working on a sequel trilogy (for the best character from the series)

theagentcoma and The Lucky Moose like this.
  13. theagentcoma

sshhhhh I'm supposed to be reading Sanderson not be getting hyped for Malazan all over again

nomemorial likes this.
  14. nomemorial

you're in a cult, call your dad

Yeah, this x2 for me, hahaha. Still need to finish Deadhouse Gates...I feel guilty every time I look at it on the shelf. Maybe I'll start finishing the reread thing for GotM and refresh myself on DG so I can finish it up.

THEN BACK TO SANDERSON.

theagentcoma likes this.
  15. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

After many weeks I finished Dave Duncan’s A Man Of His Word series and the sequel series A Handful of Men. Now I feel a little sad about having to leave that world behind. I highly recommend it.

Now I’m starting Kim Wilkins’s Daughters of the Storm, a new-ish book and apparently the start of a series.

16. Vivatoto

@yeknom I just finished the final Aspect Emperor book. What a fucking series, I loved it, especially the last two books which were non stop thrilling. I fell in love with his prose too. Exactly what I needed to fill the Malazan sized hole in my heart. Also super exciting that there's another series coming to finish it.

theagentcoma likes this.
  17. yeknom

CEO/Shelob Supporter

Awesome! I thought it would suit your tastes. I'm doing Malazan right now, I've read some of them, but im restarting for the full experience.

theagentcoma likes this.
  18. tucah

not champ Prestigious

after i finish my current book (the hod king) i'm going to get back into malazan. liked the first two books a lot and loved how the third book was progressing but life got in the way and it was daunting to pick it back up but i'm determined now, there's no way i'm not going to be head over heels with it by the end.

theagentcoma likes this.
  19. theagentcoma

hopefully I can join you and juggle that and Mistborn at the same time

tucah likes this.
  20. Vivatoto

Juggling other series was one thing I could not do when I was reading Malazan but most of that was probably because I didn't want to stop for anything.

theagentcoma likes this.
  21. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

I just remembered I have the third one somewhere. Holiday season killed me.

theagentcoma likes this.
  22. marsupial jones

still working my way through Gardens of the Moon. only get through about 2-3 pages every other day so i may have to start over as it's beginning to get blurry about who's who and what's happening.

theagentcoma likes this.
  23. theagentcoma

direct your questions here because I literally never tire of talking about that series. That book in particular holds a special place on my shelf.

marsupial jones likes this.
  24. marsupial jones

i'm sure i have questions about the Warrens and stuff but will need time to make a coherent thought out of it haha. i think that's my biggest puzzlement so far as i'm not sure what they are or what it does, or if they're even all the same. seems like different people have Warrens that do different things and the few mentioned so far seem to dip their foot into time travel?

like i said, i'd need to read through my notes and form the thoughts properly :crylaugh:

theagentcoma likes this.
  25. Vivatoto

Going to be a long time before Warrens start really making sense, I learned the most in the prequels after the series. I remember asking @theagentcoma a similar question when I started, I was confused whether each person could only access one warren or multiple. So it's like a specialty magic, like if someone was trained in using fire magic, they would access the Telas/Tellan warrens. But there are super bad asses that can access multiple warrens. As far as what a Warren is right now, it's basically just a way to access magic, that's all you should really know at this point.

theagentcoma and marsupial jones like this.